Stop Line Bandits : What to do?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tyreon

Re: Stop Line Bandits : What to do?

Postby tyreon » 11 Nov 2015, 10:23am

In defence of some cars,their bonnets extend feet in front of the driver! You have the bonnet way over the flow of traffic from the right,half hour later the driver appears following the bonnet. It's all easily explained on the Clarkson show,you know the show that impresses the gals,the show with the knuckle dragging audience behind. Vroom,vroom

mjr

Postby mjr » 11 Nov 2015, 11:30am

tyreon wrote:In defence of some cars,their bonnets extend feet in front of the driver! You have the bonnet way over the flow of traffic from the right,half hour later the driver appears following the bonnet. It's all easily explained on the Clarkson show,you know the show that impresses the gals,the show with the knuckle dragging audience behind. Vroom,vroom

That seems more like an excuse than a defence. Anyone who cannot compensate for the shape of their vehicle has fallen below the National Driving Standard - specifically "You must know and understand ... how the construction of your vehicle may affect your field of vision, and how to overcome this" - and should either go on refresher training or stop driving.

I know that seems harsh, but this may be a matter of life and death.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

tyreon

Postby tyreon » 11 Nov 2015, 2:26pm

To which I would reply Mjr: "Are you talking to me mate,or chewing a brick?" (Olde Kentish slang) I would have course been driving my double twin-backed V8 coupe Clarkson reviewed monster car: "Up to 80mph in 6.3 seconds!!" So there!

AlaninWales

Postby AlaninWales » 11 Nov 2015, 3:44pm

mjr wrote:
tyreon wrote:In defence of some cars,their bonnets extend feet in front of the driver! You have the bonnet way over the flow of traffic from the right,half hour later the driver appears following the bonnet. It's all easily explained on the Clarkson show,you know the show that impresses the gals,the show with the knuckle dragging audience behind. Vroom,vroom

That seems more like an excuse than a defence. Anyone who cannot compensate for the shape of their vehicle has fallen below the National Driving Standard - specifically "You must know and understand ... how the construction of your vehicle may affect your field of vision, and how to overcome this" - and should either go on refresher training or stop driving.

I know that seems harsh, but this may be a matter of life and death.

Depends on the junction design. View out of many around here is so restricted that a 'normal' car needs to:
i. Ensure from behind the give-way line, that nothing is approaching within view.
ii. Creep forward to see past the hedges (or in other environments parked cars / post boxes / office-block walls) and check if there is anything that will be inconvenienced by pulling out.
iii. carry on (or reverse back) accordingly.

Of course where there is a hill crest or blind corner near within a short distance, the best you can do is look, listen and don't hang about too long (the longer you are there, the nearer the approaching vehicle will get). In all of these circumstances, it is still the responsibility of the driver who has priority to understand the limitations of other road users and be able to stop in the distance that can reasonably be expected to remain clear. In other words, if you can see a bonnet but not the screen, you know the driver will have to pull forward in order to check the road, so you should be dealing with that. I think this was tyreon's point, but he put it more humourously :) .

Phileas

Postby Phileas » 11 Nov 2015, 7:34pm

This is one of my bugbears. I get it here most evenings https://goo.gl/maps/PKZcTYfAuA12 , where cars often keep rolling onto the roundabout as I come round heading east.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 12 Nov 2015, 8:12am

I like to think that an element of unpredictability helps. Attracts motorists attention and as most don't want to hurt you they steer clear to some extent.
A quick right signal as a car looks to be overtaking too close works as does riding faster.
Glue a box to your helmet and they will think its a camera

tykeboy2003

Postby tykeboy2003 » 12 Nov 2015, 12:48pm

Phileas wrote:I like to think that an element of unpredictability helps.

I frequently employ the deliberate "wobble" (avoiding an imaginary pot-hole) to concentrate the minds of motorists.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 12 Nov 2015, 1:57pm

Hi,
tykeboy2003 wrote:

I frequently employ the deliberate "wobble" (avoiding an imaginary pot-hole) to concentrate the minds of motorists.

I don't trust ANY motorist to spot that and putting faith in that is slim hope I.M.O.

Just keep sharp when you encounter traffic, and if in doubt especially when you use a junction correctly, but get in the way of corner cutters, just sit patiently and wait for them to move on............they can wave me all they like........I am not budging.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

tykeboy2003

Postby tykeboy2003 » 12 Nov 2015, 2:05pm

Obviously I don't rely completely on a "wobble" but I certainly find I usually get more clearance when I've done one. I also move slightly further from the edge of the road when I know I've got vehicles coming up behind me and "take the lane" through restricted width areas like central islands or roads narrowed by parked cars etc.

Phileas

Postby Phileas » 12 Nov 2015, 4:18pm

tykeboy2003 wrote:

No I didn't. :shock:

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 12 Nov 2015, 5:19pm

wfbroddy wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:These are not bandits or highwaymen, they are terrorists. My tip: do NOT make eye contact because it is usually understood as a challenge. In many cases one can hold out ones hand to signify stop/wait hiding ones face so that eye contact is not possible. Then, I suspect, the terrorists think I am unpredictable.

making eye contact is key to understanding if the driver has seen you or not, which then dictates your action.

It taught to motorcyclists during training (there not called lifesavers for nowt) and I believe advance driving teaches something similar

If your NOT looking at the other road user, you've no idea what's about to happen.

I know when I'm in the car and somebody does it to me I take my foot off the accelerator slows you down just enough for them to get the hint.

I normally do NOT make eye contact because .. The rules are clear enough, there is no need to "communicate". In Germany it sometimes helps to shout, "wer hat Vorfahrt?" (who has priority?). But do any drivers actually stop and apply the handbrake? Should one trust a single one of them? I think not.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

wfbroddy

Postby wfbroddy » 12 Nov 2015, 5:30pm

Cyril Haearn wrote: I normally do NOT make eye contact because .. The rules are clear enough, there is no need to "communicate". In Germany it sometimes helps to shout, "wer hat Vorfahrt?" (who has priority?). But do any drivers actually stop and apply the handbrake? Should one trust a single one of them? I think not.

The rules maybe clear but not always followed so anything you do to help must be to your advantage?

Also there many forms of communication non verbal being a very powerful one, if you get used to making eye contact with a driver you quickly pick up there intentions

Roddy