Who painted this frame

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
grani

Who painted this frame

Post by grani »

I was wondering if anyone knows what painter might have used that mark?
gaz

Re: Who painted this frame

Post by gaz »

The forum boards have a number of "styles" that each user can choose from and they do not all display oversized images in the same way.

I guess that you are trying to identify the "tag" at the top of the seatstay, which does not display unless I resize the forum on my screen (Ctrl and -). I haven't got a clue.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

If your camera has a macro function, this would be a good time to use it! ;-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

5f611d1baa912ca51758c13b1151dd5b.jpg

Shrunk the image so more people should be able to see the mark.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

In the “olden days” many frame builders/painters decorated the top seat stay eyes in this ways in various styles. I don’t think any builder, with the exception of possibly Pennine had their own mark, it just depended on how the guy painting the frame felt inclined to decorate it at the time, or possibly by buyers request.
A full picture of the frame and lugs may be more help in identifying the builder and possibly the painter.
Beauty will save the world.
grani

Post by grani »

The frame is a Johnny Berry from 1968 and I am trying find out if the paint is original. He usually used C & G Finishes in Liverpool but they often used a series of parallel lines to mark the frames so I was curious if this would be a mark used by another painter.

Sorry about the photo. I just used my phone to upload it and didn't know that it would cause an issue.
nicmarsh

Post by nicmarsh »

reynolds transfer may give a clue to paint date
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... story.html
grani

Post by grani »

nicmarsh wrote:reynolds transfer may give a clue to paint date

Thank you very much as I think you might have cracked it for me. The Reynolds transfer looks to be post 1973 and as the bike is built in 1968 it is highly unlikely that anyone would have added that transfer later. Apparently Johnny Berry bikes generally do not have Reynolds stickers as he did not want to advertise for them.

It is of course interesting who might have painted the frame but if it is not original then I think it is fairly academic.
fossala

Post by fossala »

grani wrote:

Thank you very much as I think you might have cracked it for me. The Reynolds transfer looks to be post 1973 and as the bike is built in 1968 it is highly unlikely that anyone would have added that transfer later. Apparently Johnny Berry bikes generally do not have Reynolds stickers as he did not want to advertise for them.

It is of course interesting who might have painted the frame but if it is not original then I think it is fairly academic.

I read a few days ago that frame builders bought the stickers in such quantities that they used them for 10 years after Reynolds changed design.
grani

Post by grani »

fossala wrote:
grani wrote:

I read a few days ago that frame builders bought the stickers in such quantities that they used them for 10 years after Reynolds changed design.

Yes my theory is that the bike was repainted and rebuilt in early 80's as some of the components that were on it are from that time. The Reynolds sticker could well be "old stock" as you say as it was produced 1973-77.