saddle adjuster or lay back seatpost?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlastairS

saddle adjuster or lay back seatpost?

Post by AlastairS »

Hi,

With my Brooks b17 in furthest back position it is about 1 inch closer to the bars than I would like.
The Saddle Adjuster http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mobile/vk-saddle-adjuster-prod1249/and a Layback seatpost http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/thomson-elite-layback-seatpost/rp-prod8569 have both been recommended.

The adjuster weighs about 200g which I don't like.
The seatpost could safe weight on my existing post and also workout with the layback.

Anyone have experience of the layback septets ?
Thanks
Brucey

Re: saddle adjuster or lay back seatpost?

Post by Brucey »

just forget that seatpost, it is a crock, a 'layback seatpost' in name only, I,e, it may be better than a normal Thompson seatpost, but the layback it has is actually minimal. Basically IIRC the front of the clamp is in line with the middle of the seat post. There are lots and lots of seatposts that have that much layback and it is so small they don't bother to call them 'layback seatposts'.... :roll:

I don't know what kind of seatpost you have at the moment but I would seriously doubt that the Thompson seatpost will give you an extra inch over what you have right now. If you need that much you should be thinking about a proper layback post, like a Velo Orange one.

Even a £10 hockey stick seatpost will have more layback than the Thompson one.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

AlastairS wrote:Hi,
The (vk) adjuster weighs about 200g which I don't like.
Thanks

and how much do you weigh in proportion to the 200grms?
it works well and has saved many people from an uncomfortable seating position.
but does require you have the right seatpost in the first place
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Last edited by reohn2 on 17 Nov 2015, 11:56am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
D363

Post by D363 »

A lot depends on how much layback your current post has. It might well already have 2cm or so, in which case you'd struggle to find one with enough extra to make up an account inch.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Are you absolutely certain the saddle is in the wrong place, rather than the bars?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

+1 to Brucey's comment about the Thompson Elite seat-post.

I've had this problem with Brooks saddles on recent frames.

I have solved the problem in two ways. One is a Spa saddle - they will set back at least 15mm further than any Brooks. Spa do a variety of saddles and whilst they're a bit hard, my own experience is that if the saddle position is right the Spa saddle is no bother from the start.

The other solution, on another bike, is to fit a Velo-orange Gran Cru seat-post. This does have a good lay-back - the best I've found. They're not the cheapest seat-post, nor the dearest - and they're finished like jewellery. They're available from 'Practical Cycles' (http://practicalcycles.com/category/124 ... ating.aspx) in Lytham. I bought mine from Ellis-Briggs Cycles in Shipley, Yorkshire - because they're within easily rideable distance from my home A Spa B17-like saddle and a Gran-cru seat-post are about the same cost.

This is an increasingly common problem and it seems to be precipitated by the current fashion for steep seat-tube angles. In my case the problem is due to a disproportionately long upper leg in conjunction with neither myself nor frame-builder
realising that and the use of a non-Brooks saddle on the sizing-up jig - I finished up with 74º seat angle, which is absolutely fine with the Spa (and most other) saddles. My previous frames have all been 73º.

If your problem is really in the region of an inch, then you my eventually need both the Gran-cru seat-post and the Spa saddle.

No-one tells us of these problems - we have to find out the hard way.
Last edited by JohnW on 16 Nov 2015, 9:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

CREPELLO wrote:Are you absolutely certain the saddle is in the wrong place, rather than the bars?

The first relationship to establish when building a bike up is the relationship between the pedals and the saddle - the bars are positioned once the correct saddle position is established.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

D363 wrote:A lot depends on how much layback your current post has. It might well already have 2cm or so, in which case you'd struggle to find one with enough extra to make up an account inch.

+1 to that. You may have to buy a long lay-back seat-post (e.g. the Gran-cru) and a Spa saddle. I know a couple of people in that position. Steep seat-tube angles can be a curse, and from what I observe it seems to be increasing.
D363

Post by D363 »

No idea what an account inch is, sorry about that - you let your mind wander for just a second and your phone starts making things up. Anyway, just to add that the spa products are worth a look. The nidd, at least the one I've got, isn't too hard at all even from new. It's an expensive solution if purchased with a VO seatpost, especially if you wanted to save 200g and went for one with titanium rails ...
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Thanks for all your replies.
The seatpost I have is a Thorn http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-micro-adjust-alloy-seat-post-with-thorn-logo-black-350-mm-prod22890/?geoc=us
It already has a layback - it might be 2cm - 3cm.

I rode my bike last night and the seatpost position doesn't feel that uncomfortable and I might get away with the way it is.
I do find tho', that I often sit right back on the saddle out of the 'basket' of the seat.
1 inch is an estimate and could be less than that.
If buying something for the bike I would prefer to safe weight where reasonable and practical.
I did look at the Spa saddles before, and the weight was one thing that I felt was a disadvantage.
The bike seat and bars position was setup by Thorn given my dimensions.
One of the upgrades I would like to make is to buy a Brooks titanium saddle, for me I think that would complete the bike - Maybe a swift saddle.
Best
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

p.s. I do feel now like just accepting the way the saddle is, as there doesn't seem to be a cheap simple solution that doesn't add weight as I had originally hoped.
Best.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

AlastairS wrote:Thanks for all your replies.
The seatpost I have is a Thorn http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-micro-adjust-alloy-seat-post-with-thorn-logo-black-350-mm-prod22890/?geoc=us

Layback on that seatpost is exactly 25mm measured from the front edge of the post shaft to the front edge of the clamp.
I have the same post on two of my bikes.

I do find tho', that I often sit right back on the saddle out of the 'basket' of the seat.

A recipe for disaster where comfort is concerned.

If buying something for the bike I would prefer to safe weight where reasonable and practical.

What's the point in having a light bike that you can't ride as far as you'd like due to it being so uncomfortable?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

AlastairS wrote:Thanks for all your replies.

I rode my bike last night and the seatpost position doesn't feel that uncomfortable and I might get away with the way it is.
1 inch is an estimate and could be less than that.
I did look at the Spa saddles before, and the weight was one thing that I felt was a disadvantage.
The bike seat and bars position was setup by Thorn given my dimensions.
One of the upgrades I would like to make is to buy a Brooks titanium saddle, for me I think that would complete the bike - Maybe a swift saddle.
Best

It is as I suspected; the Thompson seatpost would be worse than what you have at present.

Perhaps a good solution might be

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s204p2863

Ti rails, £80, more saddle setback possible.

BTW if you can easily slide back an inch or so on a Brooks saddle, you might be better off with a slightly higher saddle position. Worth a try? -just be sure to record where it is at present so that you can go back again.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have one of the first version of the Orange Velo layback seatposts and I don't rate it. I know they have upgraded the clamp on the mark twos as it badly needed it. The original clamp allowed the saddle to slip no matter how much it was tightened and it made an awful creaking noise. Also the amount of layback was minimal compared to some of my other seatposts. BTW have to agree it does look nice.

As for the VK adaptor, I tried one and could not get it to feel right as the correct tilt angle for me was impossible to achieve with my seatpost. Also it will not fit on all seatposts.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".