How can people chuck £800 away?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dave W

How can people chuck £800 away?

Postby Dave W » 21 Nov 2015, 8:08am

I've been watching several bikes on Ebay - some similar to mine with adverts like "immaculate condition, ridden twice, frame still has protective plastic on it ......." then they sell for about £800 less than they paid for it less than six months ago. Are these people nuts or just loaded?
Could be I'm nuts for buying a new bike from a dealer a year ago I suppose - the depreciation would appear to be horrendous on bicycles - why should that be?

Mattyfez

Re: How can people chuck £800 away?

Postby Mattyfez » 21 Nov 2015, 8:25am

RRP or actual retail price.. I bet not many expensive bikes sell new for the full RRP.

But also I think it's similar to suffering from home gym syndrome too.. Buy fancy weight machine, it sits in garage until they get fed up of tripping over it, so priced to sell quick.

They also could be stolen.

Sooper8

Postby Sooper8 » 21 Nov 2015, 9:00am

I have the feeling that some people buy a bike in the same way they buy golf clubs, or a tropical fish tank - 2 other items that appear in classifieds and on eBay virtually unused and at half price with regularity.
The initial excitement dies down and then they need the space for a new hobby.
As for the amounts of money spent- well, that's a whole other issue that I am sure we could debate all day.
Everything you love,everything meaningful with depth & history,all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated,mishandled,watered down,cheapened, repackaged,marketed & sold to the people you hate
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sooper8cycling

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 21 Nov 2015, 9:05am

'a fool and his bicycle are soon parted...'...? :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 21 Nov 2015, 9:24am

Hi,
Then I spy it at the recycling centre :wink:
My last was a complete Trek.........at £7...I'm happy :D :D :D
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

beardy

Postby beardy » 21 Nov 2015, 9:32am

They could have undergone a drastic change in circumstances and now need money more than the bike.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 21 Nov 2015, 9:59am

As with bikes, as with jackets, tents, boots etc...

1) seek "best" such object, assuming there's some Magic Bullet that is perfect for anyone canny enough to find it.
2) without thinking too hard about what you'll actually do with it, buy.
3) realise that "best" is about context, and even if you did get the right thing you still need time and effort to get anything out of it.
4) once it has gathered enough dust/got in the way too much/you realise some money, any money is better than a white elephant, sell.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

PH

Postby PH » 21 Nov 2015, 10:02am

The money was spent when they made the purchase, the value is lost as soon as they decide they'er not going to use it, may as well get some of the purchase price back than leave it gathering dust and depreciating further. Maybe £800 isn't a lot to some people, for anyone who buys a new average car it's just a few months depreciation, it won't buy you a season ticket for many football clubs, and dozens of other examples. It's a lot of money to me and spending that much on a new interest probably isn't the way I'd do it, still it's good news for those getting the bargain.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 21 Nov 2015, 10:17am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Can you buy items at your recycling centre? Our one won't sell anything, and if it gets 'transferred' from one car to another in the premises that's against the rules (on the sign at entrance).

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 21 Nov 2015, 10:49am

Hi,
fastpedaller wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Can you buy items at your recycling centre? Our one won't sell anything, and if it gets 'transferred' from one car to another in the premises that's against the rules (on the sign at entrance).

Yes you can but you also have to run the gauntlet with the corrupt contract tenders opo's :wink:
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » 21 Nov 2015, 12:40pm

Buying stuff, then flogging it off cheap because of loss of interest......It CAN be worse..... :wink:

My mate...I've known him forty odd years. Push bikes, Golf clubs, Telescopes, Multi-Gym, Running Gear, fishing Gear, the list is endless....ALL UNUSED, and this is the best bit, all still in his house unsold as he just can't bare to part with stuff !!.... :lol:

jb

Postby jb » 21 Nov 2015, 1:53pm

Buy a brick off someone - you know you are buying a brick.

The more high tech and hidden the properties of the item are the more of a risk it is, regardless of age so the more dramatic the price drop.
Cheers
J Bro

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 21 Nov 2015, 2:02pm

Tiberius wrote:Buying stuff, then flogging it off cheap because of loss of interest......It CAN be worse..... :wink:

My mate...I've known him forty odd years. Push bikes, Golf clubs, Telescopes, Multi-Gym, Running Gear, fishing Gear, the list is endless....ALL UNUSED, and this is the best bit, all still in his house unsold as he just can't bare to part with stuff !!.... :lol:

well when he dies it will be an Aladdin's cave?

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 22 Nov 2015, 7:53am

New stuff loses it's value instantly. I had to buy a pole saw to go to war on my neighbor's Leylandia that's threatening to do an anschluss on my house. I quickly realized it wasn't good enough so 3 days later I bought a better one. I can't get any interest for the original for 1/3 the price. I'll probably end up giving it away to reduce clutter.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 22 Nov 2015, 8:09am

mercalia wrote:
Tiberius wrote:Buying stuff, then flogging it off cheap because of loss of interest......It CAN be worse..... :wink:

well when he dies it will be an Aladdin's cave?

Trebus Jnr?