Ridgeback Panorama Deluxe

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bigjim

Re: Ridgeback Panorama Deluxe

Post by bigjim »

yostumpy wrote:Image

Here's OLIVE. Swapped seat , post, bars, stem, levers, bar cons, tyres , bottle cages and mudguards. Apart from that its all original :D
(all the swapped bits , except the stem, came off the toasted BJ , so cost nowt)

Looks really nice, I like that traditional look, but was it not possibe to just buy the frame? It cost you what you could have sold the BJ stuff for, unless you are selling the gear you took off the bike.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

but far too heavy for hotel/hostel touring for which I have a Giant Defy 2.

The downside of this type of bike, for me, is the fact that I cannot have a decent sized tyre and a mudguard fitted on a tight frame. I've never been on a tour since I was a kid where I did not get rained on at some point, here or abroad. I once had a 14 day tour when I was 15 and had glorious weather the whole time. Never since. And that was in the UK!
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

bigjim wrote:
yostumpy wrote:Image

Here's OLIVE. Swapped seat , post, bars, stem, levers, bar cons, tyres , bottle cages and mudguards. Apart from that its all original :D
(all the swapped bits , except the stem, came off the toasted BJ , so cost nowt)

Looks really nice, I like that traditional look, but was it not possibe to just buy the frame? It cost you what you could have sold the BJ stuff for, unless you are selling the gear you took off the bike.

Exactly....so new seat, post, bars, stem, sti's, cages, soon be for sale. Couldn't just buy frame, (well I could at £750), because its a disc brake jobby, and the BJ wasn't, so would mean sourcing wheels brakes etc, plus the BJ was Campag, so cassettes different etc. plus mechs...... so this worked out a steal at £999.
PH

Post by PH »

It's looking good, be interesting to hear how it compares to the BJ once you've done some miles.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

PH wrote:It's looking good, be interesting to hear how it compares to the BJ once you've done some miles.

well there's a tough one, covered nearly 300 km so far. The BJ was very comfortable, especially in the front end, with slender radiused forks and a quill stem, but always felt somewhat fragile, whereas 'Olive' is a bit like a lightweight 90's rigid MTB, something like an Overburys. It is slightly heavier I think, but it has got discs, and the forks are more substantial, although they do still flex visibly. The wind has not helped my comparison , as a wind assisted out, followed by a return into a 20mph headwind, is a bit confusing, also I was knocked off the BJ so not been that comfortable around traffiic for a while, plus I've had a horrible chest infection for a couple of months, that is sapping all my energy, so an exhausted , journey into a headwind, on a new bike, is strange.
I would feel happier touring on this than the BJ, just feels most robust, but not dead.
yostumpy

!

Post by yostumpy »

well went for a ride this morning, first since fitting the new tape, brake levers and bar cons, and first without a 20 mph headwind. Oh joy of joys, a superb 40km ride up to Wrotham Hill. Without a gale blowing the bike is faster than I thought. I'm truly chuffed :D
PH

Post by PH »

Thanks and good photo. Someone at work was looking for a disk brake tourer and I might point them in this direction.
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

Looking good sir 8)
Rich
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I would give this bike a wolf whistle as it rode past(if politically allowed). Not so keen on the over-sized mudflaps(I know they're practical). That bike says 'I'm in it for the long haul'. :) Luverly looker
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

this is the 'oversize' rear mudflap, made from a flouro 'waymarker' arrow. It is very effective, and folks always seem to comment on its effctiveness, then scurry off to find one for themselves.
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

tykeboy2003 wrote:Nice bike but not over £400 better than the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op Revolution Country Explorer.
:roll

I bought an EBC revolution in Feb 2015 and have done around 2000 miles (commuting). It's a beast weighing in at 15+kg on the smallest size, mudguards as fitted are just too small (and fitting a set of longboards took me all day having to make a custom rear bracket), I 've had 4 spokes go on the rear (rear rack loads always less than 10 kg), BB5 discs are Ok, bars are very wide (I had to swap them) On the positives it's very comfortable as long as you are not in a hurry. It was quite cheap - you get what you pay for and I think it is now discontinued. Soon to appear on eBay.
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

2008sean wrote:just found this on offer has anyone any experience of this bike is it a good buy it looks ok for £999.99?

looking to start touring next year and this seems to have everything i need and price seems good?

http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/bikes-c97/touring-c114/ridgeback-panorama-deluxe-touring-bike-p49928

So, did you buy it? I did and I'm really pleased with mine. Still a few left if you hurry....
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

well bit of an update, 7 months on.

here is Olive, 7 months ago, when first fettled.

here with 26 1.75 mtb wheels / tyres rides well.

Olive's latest outfit. with 650b Grand Bois Hetres 42mm tyres,

The black stem, spacers, top cap, seat clamp, and wheel skewers were dipped in a bowl of caustic soda, et voila, silver. next for a dip, will be the cranks and rings,

The 650b tyres are fast and comfy, very pleased with the bike, and the 650b makes it unique.
jags

Post by jags »

is that a blue tail light as used by the police. :wink:
do u know is it possible to buy just the frameset.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

jags wrote:is that a blue tail light as used by the police. :wink:
do u know is it possible to buy just the frameset.

blue light was s/h off this forum (bought 2) used to be for sale in argos, but still available on the web. VERY effective on a dark lane, you can hear the cars slowing down a long way back.

frameset available for £750 I believe, but in a metallic burnt orange flavour