Best Hemets

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 10 Feb 2008, 9:59pm

What sort of value does she place on your head? (Or perhaps she knows that these things are useless?)

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 10 Feb 2008, 10:23pm

Hi TC,
Should we start another Helmet/No Helmet debate?

For more years than I care to remember, I wore a bobble-hat in the winter and just hair in the summer. Why do I need a helmet? I dunno. Seems like I should. Mrs Mick F insists I wear a helmet. If if keeps her happy, I'll wear one.

Trouble is, if they only last 3 years, you don't 'arf have to pedal some miles to get your monies worth! Can a £75 helmet last longer, or protect you better than a £25 one?

If a more expensive helmet is better than a cheap one, it seems sad that a person who can't afford a good helmet is put at risk by buying a cheap and nasty one. Can money buy safety?
Mick F. Cornwall

Beakyboy

Postby Beakyboy » 10 Feb 2008, 10:25pm

Would this be a good time to mention that the whispers look good? or have I mentioned that already?
May the wind always be at your rear!

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 10 Feb 2008, 10:28pm

Mick F wrote:Hi TC,
Should we start another Helmet/No Helmet debate?

Where I once worked, I would have been accused (quite rightly) of 'stirring.' (Think 'cantten culture.)

Beakyboy

Postby Beakyboy » 13 Feb 2008, 11:09pm

Well its here, my birthday i mean. I'm another year older and also a proud owner of a catlike whisper helmet! Its so good i can hardly bring myself to take it off (haven't been out with it yet mind). Mrs Beakyboy draws the line at me wearing it to bed though!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 Feb 2008, 8:53am

Photograph, please!
(Though spare us the bed shot!!)

Had a good day?
Mick F. Cornwall

Beakyboy

Postby Beakyboy » 14 Feb 2008, 11:01pm

Okay here is my pride and joy (how sad am I?) complete with free carry pod.

Now go on guys, honest opinions?

PrettyBoyTim

Postby PrettyBoyTim » 15 Feb 2008, 4:58pm

I'm unconvinced that you can equate cost of helmet with increased safety. The majority of cycle helmets are still basically just expanded polystyrene with a thin plastic shell on the outside. More expensive ones often seem to have larger air vents, which may actually reduce their effectiveness in an accident, as they may allow something through to your skull that might have been caught be a 'hotter' helmet.

I'm also rather unconvinced by this 'you must buy a new helmet every three years' thing.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 15 Feb 2008, 5:04pm

I think it's smashing, Beakyboy!

But to spent £75 on a helmet, when my £25 one looks as good as new 3, nearly 4 years later ......

Has anyone ever proved that you need to ditch your worthless helmet after 3 years? Because "ditch it" you must! Coz it's past it's Use By date!
Mick F. Cornwall

PrettyBoyTim

Postby PrettyBoyTim » 15 Feb 2008, 5:09pm

My helmet is 10 years old. The main advantage of getting a new one would be that all the modern ones have those tightenable plastic inner frames to help hold it to your head, wheras mine only has straps.

Edwards

Postby Edwards » 15 Feb 2008, 5:34pm

That does look cool in both senses. I bet it is very comfortable to wear. By bald spots might feel the drafts.

Tandemist

Postby Tandemist » 15 Feb 2008, 7:20pm

Wow Beakyboy, looks from the picture as though your head must be bigger than a washing machine !
Impressive !

Beakyboy

Postby Beakyboy » 16 Feb 2008, 1:58pm

Just back, helmet proved to be fantastic. Light airy and a real nice fit. After a mile i forgot i had it on. I know £75, but how can you put a price on class!

Fonant

Postby Fonant » 17 Feb 2008, 1:41pm

PrettyBoyTim wrote:I'm unconvinced that you can equate cost of helmet with increased safety.

Agreed. The level of protection will be determined by the impact test standards that the helmet has passed, which you should take into account if you're buying one for any sort of safety reasons.

PrettyBoyTim wrote:I'm also rather unconvinced by this 'you must buy a new helmet every three years' thing.

It does sound like another way to sell more expensive polystyrene hats, but in fact both the polystyrene and the plastic will deteriorate with time, especially if worn outside: sun and plastics don't usually mix very well. As the plastic and polystyrene break down from the ultraviolet radiation they get more brittle and much less able to absorb energy by crushing.

You quite often hear "my helmet broke into pieces on impact" - a sure sign that it was brittle and so provided little energy absorption and hence little protection. The polystyrene needs to crush but remain in one piece for the best protection.
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.