Accurate Tyre Pressure Gauge.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Drake

Accurate Tyre Pressure Gauge.

Post by Drake »

Can anybody suggest an accurate tyre pressure gauge.
I normally use a foot pump that's equipt with a gauge, but I'm not sure it's as accurate as it was.
Many thanks in advance.
Brucey

Re: Accurate Tyre Pressure Gauge.

Post by Brucey »

mechanical; accugage

electronic ; schwalbe (works better on presta than Schrader)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Do you mean accurate?

Does it matter how accurate the reading is, so long as the reading is the same time each time?
Mick F. Cornwall
borderghost

Post by borderghost »

I use my trusty 12 year old 12v chalenge extreme digital tyre inflator, i do not like using a guage as you have to release a little of the air to get a reading, if i think the pressure may have dropped i use my digital pump as that way if the pressure has dropped a little it will also pump tyre back upto the correct pressure at the same time.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I haven’t used one, but the Wonder Eurodainu is on my list of items to purchase when I’m rich.

In the meantime I’m using a Meqix pencil-style gauge a bit like this one (not a recommendation for that shop, which I’ve never heard of). It is very small and light so good for travelling. Whether it is any more accurate than a typical pump’s gauge I don’t know.
Drake

Post by Drake »

Mick F wrote:Do you mean accurate?

Does it matter how accurate the reading is, so long as the reading is the same time each time?

I tend to run my tyres at the top end of the recommended inflation band.
Being that my foot pump wasn't expensive . . it does make me wonder how accurate the gauge is.
Over the last 2 yrs, I've had two sets of tyres on this particular bike and the sidewalls have cracked badly.
I'm wondering whether the gauge on my pump is registering a lower pressure than is actually in the tyre.
Must admit though that both set of tyres weren't expensive.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the tyres have simply perished in the sidewall, I'd suggest that is most likely to do with them being made badly rather than run at the wrong pressure.

You can check your footpump gauge calibration against any other 'known good' gauge. Thus I'd suggest that all you need is a gauge that you use occasionally to check the calibration of the footpump gauge.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I use the Topeak SmartGauge D2; it'll test tyres (!) and MTB forks. It's accurate and the head is cleverly designed so that it will test at either presta or schrader valves
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Drake

Post by Drake »

Brucey wrote:if the tyres have simply perished in the sidewall, I'd suggest that is most likely to do with them being made badly rather than run at the wrong pressure.

You can check your footpump gauge calibration against any other 'known good' gauge. Thus I'd suggest that all you need is a gauge that you use occasionally to check the calibration of the footpump gauge.

cheers

Fair point.
I've ordered a pair of Swalbe"City jets" . . hope they prove to be better.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

tim-b wrote: It's accurate
tim-b

How do you know?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

fastpedaller wrote:
tim-b wrote: It's accurate
tim-b

How do you know?
Remember this thread of mine?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=77429
Mick F. Cornwall
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
How do you know?

It matches my track pump, and more importantly the certificated, calibrated gauge at work
I know of a couple of others that have also been tested against different calibrated gauges, also accurate

Have I had it tested professionally, across its range? No, but I'm happy with it

tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

That's reassuring to be able to compare to a known calibrated one........ I've found similar with my cheap digital kitchen scale which compares to the local Post Office one until about 1.5kg, where it is still very good, with only 1g variation! Quite a result from a £6.50 scale.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

The recommended tyre pressure range is quite high - e.g a Continental 23mm folder with a range of 8.5 to 12 Bar - this would suggest that having a very accurate pressure gauge isn't necessary .
Tyre inflation needs to be moderated according to the conditions and the weight of the rider.
I rarely use my pressure gauge - usually I find my thumb suffices - and it's always handy when I want it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ANTONISH wrote:The recommended tyre pressure range is quite high - e.g a Continental 23mm folder with a range of 8.5 to 12 Bar - this would suggest that having a very accurate pressure gauge isn't necessary .
Tyre inflation needs to be moderated according to the conditions and the weight of the rider.
I rarely use my pressure gauge - usually I find my thumb suffices - and it's always handy when I want it.

I had to purchase a new pair of tyres the other day and the guy in the shop was saying about how manufacturer was very fussy about the running pressure and that if they were not run close to the specified pressure then their life would be dramatically reduced. He was talking about "a pressure" rather than a range and how he checked his own bike every ride before departing.

But when I got home the instructions were pressure in range 3.5 bar to 6 bar and to check every 30 days (except tyre itself says 4.5 bar to 6.5 bar)

Ian