How much would you pay for this

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ukdodger

How much would you pay for this

Post by ukdodger »

I made it for my DIL. But wondered how much someone else would pay to buy it off the shelf from a bike shop.

It's CroMo, Mavic A119 700c rims, DT swiss Revolution butted spokes, SA front chainring, MK rubber block pedals, Shimano Nexus 8 speed hub, combination gear and brake lever. Schwalbe 700x38 tyres, Madison Gel saddle, SKS mudguards, Raleigh carrier with spring clip, Powder coated and good quality basket. I forget the name.

Total cost of materials retail £1026.64

Who would pay that (it's not for sale)?
mercalia

Re: How much would you pay for this

Post by mercalia »

not me I am trying not to laugh, sorry
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I'd pay about £1030......
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

what price a happy DiL? It could be a bargain.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

ukdodger wrote:......I made it for my DIL. But wondered how much someone else would pay to buy it off the shelf from a bike shop......

They wouldn't pay enough so that both you and the shop could make a living.

But hopefully you enjoyed making it and she enjoys riding it......those things, and the bond those things create between you are truly beyond price.

Now, as an incurable bike nerd (who doesn't want to be cured anyway), is that a very slack seat tube angle with the saddle set forward on the seatpost?
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I got a £260 MTB initially and have probably spent more than £1,000 buying a road bike, then upgrading everything on it, then getting another frame (while carrying on upgrading everything even more) then put just about all that stuff back onto the original MTB (but I had to buy disc brake calipers and disc hubs lol) I wouldn't want to add up what I have spent up to now when I factor in the tools I had to get along the way as well. I have ended up back on the £260 bike, is what's funny.

The nice thing is my bike is perfected and I pretty much don't need a LBS for one single thing (except that fork crown washer thing but my local LBS even said they couldn't fit that and I had to go to Decathlon to get it done). I built the wheels I now ride on, had to because wheels like this don't exist unless hand built :p 700c Mavics with MTB disc hubs... but to be honest my bike could do with a lighter frame now... it never ends.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

531colin wrote:
ukdodger wrote:......I made it for my DIL. But wondered how much someone else would pay to buy it off the shelf from a bike shop......

They wouldn't pay enough so that both you and the shop could make a living.

But hopefully you enjoyed making it and she enjoys riding it......those things, and the bond those things create between you are truly beyond price.

Now, as an incurable bike nerd (who doesn't want to be cured anyway), is that a very slack seat tube angle with the saddle set forward on the seatpost?

Thanks. You're absolutely right. I only do it because I enjoy it. The buzz is getting it right without expensive jigs and it keeps me off the streets. The only jig I use is for the forks and that I made myself. I have not the slightest intention of doing it for profit. A pro builder can make a frame in one or two days. That took me a week without the time spent looking for and fitting all the furniture. I'd starve.

The seat tube angle is 72deg. That's about usual.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Brucey wrote:what price a happy DiL? It could be a bargain.... :wink:

cheers

When I started this Brucey about four years ago a 600 x 1.5mm silver solder rod was £1. A frame takes 3 - 4 rods. Today each rod is £13 thanks the the dirty rotten chinese.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Manc33 wrote:I got a £260 MTB initially and have probably spent more than £1,000 buying a road bike, then upgrading everything on it, then getting another frame (while carrying on upgrading everything even more) then put just about all that stuff back onto the original MTB (but I had to buy disc brake calipers and disc hubs lol) I wouldn't want to add up what I have spent up to now when I factor in the tools I had to get along the way as well. I have ended up back on the £260 bike, is what's funny.

The nice thing is my bike is perfected and I pretty much don't need a LBS for one single thing (except that fork crown washer thing but my local LBS even said they couldn't fit that and I had to go to Decathlon to get it done). I built the wheels I now ride on, had to because wheels like this don't exist unless hand built :p 700c Mavics with MTB disc hubs... but to be honest my bike could do with a lighter frame now... it never ends.

But you got there yourself. It's useful knowing how to do things yourself and the chances are you'll make a better job of it anyway. I've never trusted LBS's though some are undoubtedly conscientious (my LBS isnt one of them).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think it looks lovely, and I'm sure that she will be happy with it. 8)

I know that doesn't answer your question. People who order custom builds often pay quite a lot of money; rather more than you have spent, especially if they want something unique like this.

The value is seldom high in resale, though.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Vorpal wrote:I think it looks lovely, and I'm sure that she will be happy with it. 8)

I know that doesn't answer your question. People who order custom builds often pay quite a lot of money; rather more than you have spent, especially if they want something unique like this.

The value is seldom high in resale, though.

Thanks VP. She's very pleased with it and I'm looking forward to making them for my Granddaughters. The price of Bespoke frames amazes me. Around £4k down here. I know of a Roberts that cost that much four years ago and sold this year for around £2k.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I.M.O. (opinion of one, I am not mainstream anything) I don't like it and its not that practical, I might as well post a pic of one of my skip bikes (I haven't built yet).
It might be the camera angle (fishy) but the saddle is to high at the front, the rack leans back not forward, the front forks look bent?
If I had spent that much time I would at least set it up like someone would ride it.
But as much of I comes down to personal satisfaction when your head hits the pillow at the end of another day, who am I to say.

Better detail pic (larger) might change my mind.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

re silver price; I don't think the Chinese have that much to do with it; I think that the silver market has gone screwy for a variety of reasons. There have been two (brief) episodes of silver trading at ~$50/oz in the last 30 years and the first of these was as a result of deliberate attempts to manipulate the market. Probably so was the second.... Currently silver is about $13-14/oz which is 'only' ~x3 its historical average, not x13. So on that basis I'd suggest that you need to buy your silver solder somewhere else.

http://www.cupalloys.co.uk/home/

looks a bit more reasonable...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I.M.O. (opinion of one, I am not mainstream anything) I don't like it and its not that practical, I might as well post a pic of one of my skip bikes (I haven't built yet).
It might be the camera angle (fishy) but the saddle is to high at the front, the rack leans back not forward, the front forks look bent?
If I had spent that much time I would at least set it up like someone would ride it.
But as much of I comes down to personal satisfaction when your head hits the pillow at the end of another day, who am I to say.

Better detail pic (larger) might change my mind.

No it's the camera. The rack is level. The seat is up at the front because that's how I like it when I test ride them. The only bend in the forks is the rake. It's actually very comfortable to ride.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Brucey wrote:re silver price; I don't think the Chinese have that much to do with it; I think that the silver market has gone screwy for a variety of reasons. There have been two (brief) episodes of silver trading at ~$50/oz in the last 30 years and the first of these was as a result of deliberate attempts to manipulate the market. Probably so was the second.... Currently silver is about $13-14/oz which is 'only' ~x3 its historical average, not x13. So on that basis I'd suggest that you need to buy your silver solder somewhere else.

http://www.cupalloys.co.uk/home/

looks a bit more reasonable...?

cheers

That may be the the bulk price but this is what you'd pay for Cad free 55% silver.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/silver-flo-5 ... loy-810475

I'm going to try with brass next time