Gatorskins - anything else?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dave W

Gatorskins - anything else?

Post by Dave W »

I've used these for a few years now and have found them to be a very good winter tyre. What else would you recommend (25mm)?
Erudin

Re: Gatorskins - anything else?

Post by Erudin »

phil parker

Post by phil parker »

GatorHardshell?
robc02

Post by robc02 »

GP 4 Season.
PH

Post by PH »

Vittoria Rubino Pro
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

robc02 wrote:GP 4 Season.

+1 Can be had for £32 - £35. Won't pay anymore than £35 unless absolutely desperately needing one, got a pair in the cupboard in case the winter is hard this year.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I found that Gatorskins would slip on some surfaces in the wet; crossing white lines and iron (steel??) such as catseyes and inspection covers
The GP 4 seasons are a big improvement, however you do pay more. Available in 23, 25 and 28mm
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

4 Seasons have become a bit pricey for me, so a few years ago I changed to Michelin Krylion whose modern preplacement is the Pro 4 Endurance which I've used for at least 3 years, available 23/25/28. Beware - the Michelin is a full fat tyre while the Continental is skinny. The Pro 4 25 is fatter than the Conti 28.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Tyres have become alarmingly expensive over the last few years. Those Planet X ones are remarkably cheap :shock: I guess there's a reason for that?
iainb

Post by iainb »

PH wrote:Vittoria Rubino Pro

+1, I've found these to be as good as Gatorskins and about 2/3 of the price
robgul

Post by robgul »

Top tip - just ordered 3 x 23mm and 1 x 25mm on the BOGOF deal - so 8 tyres for about £40 (and of course I got sucked into spending another tenner to get free delivery :wink: )

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
pwa

Post by pwa »

tim-b wrote:Hi
I found that Gatorskins would slip on some surfaces in the wet; crossing white lines and iron (steel??) such as catseyes and inspection covers
The GP 4 seasons are a big improvement, however you do pay more. Available in 23, 25 and 28mm
Regards
tim-b

+1 Used Gatorskins for several years for audaxing and liked them, but found they slipped a little on steep, wet climbs. GP 4 Seasons are a notch up price-wise, but they give a better ride. Much more grip on wet lanes, and more compliant, feeling less harsh on coarse surfaces. Shop around for good prices.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Hi
Good to hear from those with experience of both Gatorskins and GP 4 Seasons. I have been swearing by Gatorskins for the last couple of years, finding that they roll easily but are nevertheless very robust. (If my tyres don't stand up to abuse, I change the tyres, not the abuse.) But you're right, they are a bit slippery on manhole covers etc. in the wet. I had been wondering whether to switch to GP 4 Seasons, and now I probably shall. I use a mixture of 28mm and 32mm tyres on various bikes. Does anyone in the UK sell 32mm GP4s? Conti make them but they're not on the websites I usually look at.
Seasonal greetings,
Chris
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Conti GP 4 Seasons, as wide as you can fit.

Expensive? Yep (get them on offer). Worth it? Absolutely.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Dave W wrote:Tyres have become alarmingly expensive over the last few years. Those Planet X ones are remarkably cheap :shock: I guess there's a reason for that?

They buy end of line and surplus stock.