Where can I get a decent jacket?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bainbridge

Where can I get a decent jacket?

Post by bainbridge »

Hi Tourers

I'm after a decent windproof jacket for touring and casual wear when off the bike.

Something that isn't brightly coloured but has reflective bits that are concealable will be nice.

I saw a nice one on CRC but it was £100, reduced from £200 which is out of my budget.

Something in the £50 range would be ideal.

Thanks
JohnW

Re: Where can I get a decent jacket?

Post by JohnW »

If it's not brightly coloured you'll be more difficult for motorists to see in daylight, and particularly on dull days.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I was all excited to tell you about a brilliant lightweight windproof jacket by North Ridge (Go Outdoors own-brand) with long underarm zips for extra ventilation and really big front pockets that I got for about £50 a few years ago, but I can't find anything comparable on their website - only a windproof jacket with fleece lining (mine has no lining). I bought a Craghoppers Luka softshell jacket that has a fleece lining and was described as having "exceptional windproof performance" but the wind cuts through it, and off the bike with a cold wind, I get cold in it when my old North Ridge jacket (with no lining but truly does have exceptional windproof performance) keeps me warm. In the lack of a wind, the Craghoppers jacket can get too warm.

A good tip I once heard was to test windproof jackets by closing your open-mouthed lips against the outside of the material and try breathing through it. My Craghopper jacket is easily breathed through - the North Ridge jacket is impossible to breath through. Ironically, the North Ridge jacket does seem to have good breathable qualities though :?

That's nothing that you asked for but I hope it might be of some use.
Last edited by freiston on 26 Dec 2015, 7:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Ron

Post by Ron »

As a touring cyclist, I would always want to carry a waterproof jacket with reflectives, there is always one wet day on a tour! To also carry a windproof jacket with reflectives would seem to be unnecessary duplication and waste of valuable space in my panniers.
Along with my waterproof cycling jacket I carry a casual jacket which is at least showerproof for evening wear off the bike.
freiston

Post by freiston »

You can always carry a reflective sam brown belt to wear with a non-reflective jacket.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
PH

Post by PH »

For decent quality reasonably priced kit. decathlon are hard to beat, this jacket might fit the bill, there may be others I haven't looked that hard
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-ultralig ... 09828.html
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The last one I bought was from aldi. Black with reflective stripes on the sleeves (handy for indicating not that many motorists care) and some on the back for visibility (again not that many motorists care).
Completely rainproof so far in this lovely weather and plenty warm enough too. Pit zips are there but not as effective as those on my other jacket and a nice big pocket at the back if you like stuff pulling back the jacket causing it to strangle you. Personally I don't. Roomy enough to cover other layers. Kinda bulky though when packed and not the lightest on the market.
It does the job though if they've any left in stock and at 20 quid, not too heavy on the wallet or purse either.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
freiston

Post by freiston »

For cycling I use an Altura Varium jacket. It is most definitely a cycling jacket but I do know a couple of people who have frequently worn one sans cycle. As well as really good windproof performance, is very water resistant too. I've had wet arms after heavy rain but others I know who have the jacket report it to be waterproof. It's out of your budget but sometimes there are very good offers.

It takes longer to dry out than a proper waterproof shell but in my opinion would be a good compromise for on/off bike use when touring. Because of the drying out issue, on tours with limited overnight facilities, I would supplement it with a proper waterproof shell.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Thanks for the replies folks.

Waterproof jacket and trousers are already in the panniers, I have a pearl izuma cycling jersey which isn't that windproof but did the job, but unfortunately I'm a bit too chubby for it now.

I like the look of this one in navy but figured it's probably quite heavy and might not stand the rigours of a tour:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ted-baker-zipthru-jersey/

This one would be ideal but looks a bit technical:

https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/shimano-h ... oCKa_w_wcB

My next tour involves staying in city hotels and I fancy looking halfway decent when I'm out eating, sightseeing and shopping etc so want a dual use jacket.

Any more suggestions?
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Some of the Altura range might suit, although you may have to hunt to find your size in the older ranges
Boulder 2009
Transformer 2014 (two colours)
Night Vision 2013 women's version, there is a man's cut too
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

I think a thing to also consider is how well a jacket breaths , I also have a aldi waterproof jacket , which as it says on the tin is 100% waterproof , but as it dosen't breath can end up as wet on the inside as i am on the outside ! I A good lightweight breathable waterproof I wear is made by montane , ( sorry forgot which model ) not cycle specific , but does the job brilliantly , never being wet inside or out !
BE1

Post by BE1 »

bainbridge wrote:Thanks for the replies folks.

Waterproof jacket and trousers are already in the panniers, I have a pearl izuma cycling jersey which isn't that windproof but did the job, but unfortunately I'm a bit too chubby for it now.

I like the look of this one in navy but figured it's probably quite heavy and might not stand the rigours of a tour:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ted-baker-zipthru-jersey/

This one would be ideal but looks a bit technical:

https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/shimano-h ... oCKa_w_wcB

My next tour involves staying in city hotels and I fancy looking halfway decent when I'm out eating, sightseeing and shopping etc so want a dual use jacket.

Any more suggestions?

Rohan do very nice, but pricey, outdoor kit that fulfils the halfway decent requirement. Sale starts tomorrow but if you are at one or the other end of the size spectrum then their clearance section, the souk, has some bargains .

The Rapha sale is also on but I am not sure have wind proof the more casual, track tops and sweatshirts are.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Vantage wrote:The last one I bought was from aldi..
It does the job though if they've any left in stock and at 20 quid, not too heavy on the wallet or purse either.

I can recommend this as well. I think it looks rather smart. Worth a lot more. The other week one of my local Aldis had them as remaindered (though not reduced) some time after the actual bike stuff week.
Sweep
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

JohnW wrote:If it's not brightly coloured you'll be more difficult for motorists to see in daylight, and particularly on dull days.

You really think it makes a difference?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Get something very "in your face" visible for cycling, and swap it for something else as soon as you get off. So two thin jackets rather than one. As a driver I notice "loud" tops (bright yellow / orange) much more easily than dull blues / black / dark red.