Where can I get a decent jacket?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bainbridge

Re: Where can I get a decent jacket?

Post by bainbridge »

Thanks for the tips everyone, I took on board what people were saying regarding visibility.

Just ordered this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010 ... p193_d0_i1

Brightly coloured for the riding then flip it around upon arrival :D
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

One jacket to avoid is the mountain warehouse cycling jacket, I took one one tour and while it was waterproof and quite breathable the surface layer wetted out and took forever to dry, it also made it heavy. It's still in Inverness, left in the cycling shop where I brought a replacement.. For day to day use it was fine but for touring in a tent you will end up with a permanently damp jacket.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Bigdummysteve wrote:One jacket to avoid is the mountain warehouse cycling jacket, I took one one tour and while it was waterproof and quite breathable the surface layer wetted out and took forever to dry, it also made it heavy. It's still in Inverness, left in the cycling shop where I brought a replacement.. For day to day use it was fine but for touring in a tent you will end up with a permanently damp jacket.

That's good to hear because it won't be used for wet weather and I'll be staying in hotels overnight :D
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Bigdummysteve wrote:One jacket to avoid is the mountain warehouse cycling jacket, I took one one tour and while it was waterproof and quite breathable the surface layer wetted out and took forever to dry, it also made it heavy.

I bought one of these (assuming you refer to the Adrenaline jacket?) a year ago and have been very happy with it. In fact I have been contemplating putting a positive report on the Goods and Services section. It has proven waterproof, and surprisingly breathable. A key point is its price? It is typically only about £35 :D , and even I think presently on offer for less than £30?

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/runnin ... p7008.aspx

I appreciate your point about it taking too long too dry out from a touring perspective. Fortunately that aspect hasn't bothered me as I only leisure cycle when I want and have not yet taken it away from base (or drying facilities) for an extended period.

Happy cycling.
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

I have a really nice merrell jacket light and water and wind proof.. It can get hot if I don't unzipp the front sometimes though.. It was given to me by a mate as it was slightly to big for him. Think he paid £60 for it (discounted).

Dark grey so it works well for a general purpose outdoorsy winter jacket, which I believe it was designed for as opposed tt being a bike specific jacket.