Aluminium alloy rigid MTB forks- would you?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
niggle

Aluminium alloy rigid MTB forks- would you?

Postby niggle » 4 Jan 2016, 7:55am

Searching around for some 'affordable' rigid disc brake forks for an MTB I came across a couple of examples of aluminium alloy construction, e.g.:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14611-New-For ... 2043780419?

My first reaction was that it did not sound a sensible choice of materials, but then many carbon forks are part alloy, particularly steerer, crown, so am I being unduly cautious or am I right in thinking that a steel fork is the only sensible choice at the budget end despite the weight penalty, e.g.:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOOOCR26DO/ ... -disc-only

Also will steel disc MTB forks ride better or is the compliance of steel somewhat negated by the necessary strengthening for off road disc brake use?

Vorpal

Re: Aluminium alloy rigid MTB forks- would you?

Postby Vorpal » 4 Jan 2016, 8:46am

niggle wrote:Searching around for some 'affordable' rigid disc brake forks for an MTB I came across a couple of examples of aluminium alloy construction, e.g.:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14611-New-For ... 2043780419?

The choice of material might be okay, if well-designed. I don't think those look very substantial for disk brakes, though. I would worry about their integrity.
niggle wrote:My first reaction was that it did not sound a sensible choice of materials, but then many carbon forks are part alloy, particularly steerer, crown, so am I being unduly cautious or am I right in thinking that a steel fork is the only sensible choice at the budget end despite the weight penalty, e.g.:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOOOCR26DO/ ... -disc-only

Also will steel disc MTB forks ride better or is the compliance of steel somewhat negated by the necessary strengthening for off road disc brake use?

Those look better to me.

Any forks for disk brakes have to be quite rigid to withstand the braking force. I doubt that there is an appreciable differnce between one material and another. Once you've taken the weigth penalty for stiffness, it's not so much more to have front suspension. My only bike with disk brakes has front suspension, to make a very stiff front fork ride better.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

niggle

Postby niggle » 4 Jan 2016, 8:59am

Yes I thought about suspension forks but the cheap ones are bouncy, heavy, and wear out double quick and the expensive ones are too costly to justify and still need frequent maintenance. A 2" knobbly tyre is adequate suspension for my needs IME. I also looked at carbon like the eXotic brand which has been around a while and is fairly reasonably priced, for carbon that is.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 4 Jan 2016, 9:01am

niggle wrote:Yes I thought about suspension forks but the cheap ones are bouncy, heavy, and wear out double quick and the expensive ones are too costly to justify and still need frequent maintenance.
Fair enough :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 4 Jan 2016, 9:06am

Hi
"Alloy" :?:

Material not quoted....................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

jk49

Postby jk49 » 4 Jan 2016, 10:31am

I've just fitted a rigid carbon disc 'picasia' fork to my 1997 spech rockhopper. So far so good, the bike rides really well.
Fnding a cheapish fork that was not corrected for suspension was a bit of a challenge though.
ducks awaiting anti carbon responses!