Upper body Clothing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NUKe

Re: Upper body Clothing

Postby NUKe » 8 Jan 2016, 4:59pm

A while back I think it may have been Hektor mentioned a different jacket, which I looked up it wasn't cycle specific, but was a lightweight weatherproofed cotton I have searched several time the Forum several times to find the name again but to no avail. I vaguely remember it was a Scandinavian firm. Anybody shed any light as to what I am talking about?
NUKe

Heltor Chasca

Postby Heltor Chasca » 8 Jan 2016, 5:42pm

NUKe wrote:A while back I think it may have been Hektor mentioned a different jacket, which I looked up it wasn't cycle specific, but was a lightweight weatherproofed cotton I have searched several time the Forum several times to find the name again but to no avail. I vaguely remember it was a Scandinavian firm. Anybody shed any light as to what I am talking about?

You're in luck. It was a Fjallraven jacket. 'Commuter green' Their stock has changed but it's all amazing stuff....b

AlastairS

Postby AlastairS » 8 Jan 2016, 8:34pm

Fjallraven jacket : looked them up, quite pricey and nothing lightweight and waterproof that i can see.

colin54

Postby colin54 » 8 Jan 2016, 11:01pm

I use one of these Aldi windproof running tops, not waterproof at all but very light and breathable,small enough to go in a jersey pocket, they still had them in my

local store recently reduced to less than a tenner, I bought another one recently as a spare.You could easy get another jacket on over the top they're so thin.I don't

know if the blue's bright enough for you though.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/o ... s/running/

I've just ordered an Altura Pocket Rocket to go over the top as mentioned before , from Rutland Water, these seem to be well thought of for the money and I don't

recall ever seeing them anywhere else much cheaper (£ 28.99 ) ; I think Tweeks currently have them at this price as well .

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 12 Jan 2016, 11:48am

Heltor Chasca wrote:
NUKe wrote:A while back I think it may have been Hektor mentioned a different jacket, which I looked up it wasn't cycle specific, but was a lightweight weatherproofed cotton I have searched several time the Forum several times to find the name again but to no avail. I vaguely remember it was a Scandinavian firm. Anybody shed any light as to what I am talking about?

You're in luck. It was a Fjallraven jacket. 'Commuter green' Their stock has changed but it's all amazing stuff....b

Thanks for that Heltor
NUKe

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 12 Jan 2016, 12:15pm

AlastairS wrote:Hi Peter, if you don't mind, I would like to know what you wear waterproof (DWR) top and what windproof(without DWR) you like to use : hopefully (for me so I can keep cost down) they are the same in summer and winter, with just more layers underneath in winter.

My waterproof is an OMM Kamleika jacket, DWR windproof is a Rohan Windrider (discontinued, but not too dissimilar to the current Windshadow) and one of various old Rohan smocks for a non DWR windproof (they often come up on eBay).

Layering up in winter would be fine, though being a gear junkie I have various options I use instead.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

AlastairS

Postby AlastairS » 12 Jan 2016, 2:00pm

Thanks Pete,
I have considered the Windshadow, but it is a dark colour , I prefer something lighter for cycling. The Buffalo Unlined Cycle Top looks quite good and I get a 15% discount by CTC membership. Or there's the Montane Lite Speed Jacket Or I have an old Rohan windproof cotton top you gave me a while a go now. Its about 300g I think. Could just use this and buy a waterproof jacket and that could be me sorted.
Thanks

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 12 Jan 2016, 2:34pm

I recommend checking TK Maxx. You won't find something cycle specific there, but you can get a good bargain on a good brand. I recently bought a North Face waterproof there for £50 that meets all of the requirements you've listed.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

honesty

Postby honesty » 12 Jan 2016, 2:45pm

I have a Chapeau Rain jacket, which works well as a hard shell. Not sure about the zip as its diagonal, but the cuffs and neck work well.

For windy days only I have a Howies Difi jacket. I picked this up for £25. they've superseded it with another jacket now, but it's very good.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 12 Jan 2016, 3:48pm

When I found a water-filled pothole last winter and trashed my Montane eVent rain jacket, I replaced it with a Sugoi RSX Neoshell jacket.
After a year's use, I can report that...
a) It's breathable enough to make a perfectly decent windproof, and isn't any sweatier than any other.
b) Although it's properly waterproof, it's the same as any other waterproof in that once it's old enough that the DWR is wearing, it wets out in persistent rain and you get damp from condensation.

In an ideal world, I'd have a jacket of similar material with removable sleeves (as a one-piece yoke rather than individually, to protect the join from the rain), which should mean a universal outer layer.

I've tried Paramo, and it's mostly too warm for me. The layers beneath it get wet from sweat and the pump liner doesn't do much to get the soaked in wet out. I suppose it would be fine worn next to the skin, Buffalo-style, but that's not for me.

AlastairS

Postby AlastairS » 13 Jan 2016, 1:23pm

It's great to hear what other wear on top esp. waterproof jackets and windproofs.
I saw this review of cycling waterproof jackets http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/group-tests/cycling-jackets-wet-weather-139198
The first one, the Polaris Hexon gets a good review and the link takes you to a £70 jacket on ebay. A Goretex jacket would cost twice that price, is it that much better ?
Someone said that a waterproof jacket would do as a windproof too, saving the need to spend on a windproof jacket and just spend on a waterproof one,
but is there a disadvantage to that ?

PH

Postby PH » 13 Jan 2016, 2:00pm

AlastairS wrote:It's great to hear what other wear on top esp. waterproof jackets and windproofs.
I saw this review of cycling waterproof jackets http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/group-tests/cycling-jackets-wet-weather-139198

had a quick look at the reviews, interesting though we all have slightly different criteria.
The first one, the Polaris Hexon gets a good review and the link takes you to a £70 jacket on ebay. A Goretex jacket would cost twice that price, is it that much better ?

Not necessarily, as someone said up thread there are plenty of Gortex like fabrics around, that's because the patents ran out a while ago and anyone can can use the technology. That Polaris is a 2.5 layer fabric, that isn't going to be as breathable as a 3 layer one, but still likely to be good.
Someone said that a waterproof jacket would do as a windproof too, saving the need to spend on a windproof jacket and just spend on a waterproof one, but is there a disadvantage to that ?

A full waterproof is unlikely to be as breathable as a windproof, it's all a compromise and you have to decide where to draw your own lines otherwise you'll be carrying a complete wardrobe. When touring, windproof gilet and waterproof jacket works for me, usually one or the other, sometimes both.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 13 Jan 2016, 3:27pm

andrew_s wrote:I've tried Paramo, and it's mostly too warm for me. The layers beneath it get wet from sweat and the pump liner doesn't do much to get the soaked in wet out. I suppose it would be fine worn next to the skin, Buffalo-style, but that's not for me.

Paramo don't particularly recommend it and unlike Buffalo stuff I've not come across folk who do that.
Though there are superficial similarities between Paramo and Buffalo they manage water quite differently, specifically Buffalo is a wicking system and Paramo isn't so I don't think you'd be better off.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...