Heavy bikes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bigdummysteve

Heavy bikes

Postby Bigdummysteve » 9 Jan 2016, 10:05pm

I've just had a bit of a shock, I managed to get hold of a set of scales which Go up to 60lbs and thought I would weigh my surly bigdummy. Now it has a rohloff, front dyno hub and light,rear cargo bags, mudguards etc. Imagine my surprise when the the needle went past the 60lbs mark :shock: I've toured quiet a lot on this and can't imagine what it weighed on my jogle with full camping kit and 3 full bottles etc.
What sort of weights are other people touring with? Although I'm slow up hills I didn't get off the bike much until Cornwall (needlessly hilly) and clocked up a couple of centuries, occasionally I take my six year old camping as well, with him sat on the back I must be looking at well over 100lbs!

I'm currently in the process of building up an ECR I wonder how the reduced weight will affect my touring? Do you find you go quicker or ride longer, does a lighter bike affect average speeds much, will it reduce the enormous amount of food I require on tour? It's going to be interesting.

cycleruk

Re: Heavy bikes

Postby cycleruk » 9 Jan 2016, 10:21pm

Are you sure the scales are accurate?
If you have a reasonable known weight then do a check.
60lbs sounds heavy to me.
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

Bigdummysteve

Postby Bigdummysteve » 9 Jan 2016, 10:35pm

cycleruk wrote:Are you sure the scales are accurate?
If you have a reasonable known weight then do a check.
60lbs sounds heavy to me.

I believe they are, they are a set of carp fishing scales so I expect they are pretty accurate.

Heltor Chasca

Postby Heltor Chasca » 9 Jan 2016, 10:40pm

When I get a chance I'll weigh my BD. My Surly DT was 17.5kg (38.6lbs) in the summer. I've since swapped it's front rack onto the BD and of course I've got your old stand I've got a full set of mudguards, rear load carrier & bags, stoker bars, full sheepskin etc.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 9 Jan 2016, 10:55pm

Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

Bigdummysteve

Postby Bigdummysteve » 9 Jan 2016, 11:00pm

bigdummy.jpg

she's a big old girl but i love her :lol:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 9 Jan 2016, 11:09pm

Ah angler's scales,hmm :roll: ..... :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 9 Jan 2016, 11:21pm

I thought that, too.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bigdummysteve

Postby Bigdummysteve » 9 Jan 2016, 11:32pm

The scales belonged to my brother in law who was a well respected big barbel and carp fishing type so I expect they are accurate. I was genuinely shocked when they went past 60, I weighed it without bottles and frame bags, just the black cargo bags and was expecting somewhere around 45ish. When I hear some forum members quoting all up touring weights well under just my bikes weight I'm quite excited about the prospects of touring on a semi normal bike. Just think ill be able to carry more lovely IPA and cake :D

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Jan 2016, 9:17am

Bigdummysteve wrote:The scales belonged to my brother in law who was a well respected big barbel and carp fishing type so I expect they are accurate. I was genuinely shocked when they went past 60, I weighed it without bottles and frame bags, just the black cargo bags and was expecting somewhere around 45ish. When I hear some forum members quoting all up touring weights well under just my bikes weight I'm quite excited about the prospects of touring on a semi normal bike. Just think ill be able to carry more lovely IPA and cake :D

We had a HD touring tandem that weighed 53lb I thought that heavy,both of our present tandems weigh around 42lb :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 10 Jan 2016, 9:47am

Not formally weighed my Streetmacine full-sus panzerfiets touring 'bent, bit it sure ain't light.

Still my weapon of choice though, comfort and baggage handling as good as anything else out there and I'm not in a hurry, and I can keep pretty good aero and still appreciate the landscape.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

SpannerGeek

Postby SpannerGeek » 10 Jan 2016, 9:48am

I built up a nice Shand 853 touring bike with quite a bit of carbon and lightweight racks. All in 21.5 lbs and 24.6lbs with dynamo lighting and panniers. Its an expensive option, but I've toured on bikes weighing 45lbs plus which wasn't a lot of fun!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 10 Jan 2016, 9:52am

Having ridden a Raleigh Chopper (44lbs) plus a CF trailer with an alu box full of my stuff from JOG to LE (plus all the training rides towing a concrete block) I can state that weight isn't an issue. All-up weight was 100lbs IIRC.

If you want light and quick, buy a light and quick bike. Heavy bikes aren't slow ........... in fact they can be fast.

Note that there's a difference between "quick" and "fast".
Mick F. Cornwall

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 10 Jan 2016, 10:03am

reohn2 wrote:Ah angler's scales,hmm :roll: ..... :wink:

I've got the matching tape measure, I do sometimes get lucky mind :wink:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Jan 2016, 10:13am

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Ah angler's scales,hmm :roll: ..... :wink:

I've got the matching tape measure, I do sometimes get lucky mind :wink: