Heavy bikes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bmblbzzz

Re: Heavy bikes

Postby Bmblbzzz » 11 Jan 2016, 10:44am

The weight might not be surprising when we consider it's a Surly, and they're never light – good, but never light, I know cos I've got one – and the Big Dummy is far from the lightest in Surly's range. If it were light, it would be a different bike. Add in Rohloff, hub dynamo, etc, and it all adds up.

As to whether that matters to you, well the OP has said it doesn't, so it doesn't to him. Good! In general, it depends on terrain, obviously, and rider style and strength, but also on rider body weight – skinny riders need skinny bikes.

pwa

Postby pwa » 11 Jan 2016, 12:01pm

I have a Thorn touring tandem with Rohloff that weighs about 50lbs with guards and rear rack, so a solo bike weighing 60lbs sounds highly excessive. Surely a mistake with the scales.

My Thorn Club Tour 700c bike weighs about 30lb and feels like a sturdy thing.

Rohloff is not much heavier than normal gears.

Bigdummysteve

Postby Bigdummysteve » 11 Jan 2016, 1:59pm

pwa wrote:I have a Thorn touring tandem with Rohloff that weighs about 50lbs with guards and rear rack, so a solo bike weighing 60lbs sounds highly excessive. Surely a mistake with the scales.

My Thorn Club Tour 700c bike weighs about 30lb and feels like a sturdy thing.

Rohloff is not much heavier than normal gears.

It's a surly Bigdummy cargo bike, it's about six feet long. There is as much tubing as a tandem then you have the cargo system,the rear cargo bags are really heavy on their own, even my bars weigh 800g! Wheels are 36 spoke mavic EX729, brooks etc it all adds up.
Just the other day I collected three bags of logs while my six year old was on the back so the bike is used for its intended purpose. I might weigh it again without the racks on, hopefully it will be under 60lbs.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 11 Jan 2016, 2:26pm

I'm a visual learner - I'd love to see lots of graphs that show the relationships between weight, effort, incline, speed and so-on. For example I like the graphs that resulted from Dr. Moulton's work, with Dunlop, I think, on the subject of work, wheel size and tyre pressures - does anyone know of pages with such like research thereon?
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 11 Jan 2016, 2:54pm

simonineaston wrote:I'm a visual learner - I'd love to see lots of graphs that show the relationships between weight, effort, incline, speed and so-on.
Me too.

I'm on record on here stating that towing/carrying weight doesn't slow you down.
Yes, if you want fast and furious, quick and sprightly, weight is definitely an issue, but if you're a normal person cycling normally, it doesn't slow you down to an appreciable amount, but I suppose it depends on what you call "appreciable" when it comes to just riding a bike and not racing etc.

Here's times for my rides between Bridgwater and Okehampton. 70 long miles, so not a short hop.
I've picked that route because I've done the exact route unloaded on my Mercian, towed a heavy trailer with my Mercian, and rode that Raleigh Chopper towing the same heavy trailer.

It took me just short of 6hrs with the unloaded Mercian and 7hrs towing fully loaded trailer.
The Chopper towing the trailer took me 8hrs 50mins. :D
Mick F. Cornwall

Merry_Wanderer

Postby Merry_Wanderer » 11 Jan 2016, 3:20pm

My Surly DT weighs about 16kg unladen and when I have used it for Audax it weighed in at about 20kg laden, or 44 pounds in old money. It's funny but I am no faster on my Surly Cross Check which weighs about 13kg unladen. What gearing do you have on the Big Dummy? That would make more difference than the weight I would think. My DT and CC have almost identical gearing, 44/32/22 and 11-34 9 speed. I have a relatively high cadence

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 11 Jan 2016, 3:25pm

My old fishing scales were expected to be used with a wet sling or unhooking mat so the fish wasn't damaged by the weighing process. This could weigh several pounds, so the scales were heavily offset.

Are you sure you zeroed the scales?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 11 Jan 2016, 4:36pm

Wouldn't it be great if there was a CTC spreadsheet which let you select values for various variables and which updated a chart to show the effect on your potential milage.
Values might be: weight of bike, weight of luggage, amount of water, tyre pressure, and so on - you know the stuff I mean...
I could make meaningful decisions that way, ie it would become clear that, say, keeping my tyres up at 75 psi was far more important than making sure I was carrying less than a litre of water... (I am only using these 2 items as examples; I not necessarily asserting that they are true!)
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Bigdummysteve

Postby Bigdummysteve » 11 Jan 2016, 5:52pm

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/5642930 Cornwall heavy load MickF ?
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/5303692 longer but flat
Both these rides were with a heavy load on the dummy full camping kit for a long tour

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/6697124 This ride was with the same bike but a much reduced load for an overnight trip, I seem to be quicker but may not have been pacing to the same extent as it was just a short trip.

Clearly I'm slow when I hit the hills when heavily loaded but as mickf showed maybe it's not as much of a factor as we think. I'm hoping to reduce my all up load with less kit and a lighter bike but I'm not convinced it will make me much faster (I'm building an off road capable tourer)

If I didn't need of off-road capabilities would I reall gain much with a lighter bike? I could easily run faster tyres and run the dummy without the rack for short trips. I've been trying to keep the weight down on the new bike ( another surly so perhaps a futile mission) but I'm not sure it's money well spent.
Last edited by Bigdummysteve on 11 Jan 2016, 10:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

edocaster

Postby edocaster » 11 Jan 2016, 8:05pm

Although the figure sounds a bit heavy, it wouldn't surprise me if a cargo bike was that heavy. If they are made to carry all kinds of things, the first concern is that they should be practically unbreakable.

Mattyfez

Postby Mattyfez » 11 Jan 2016, 8:17pm

I wouldn't worry, if it's light you'll go faster, if it's heavier you'll get fitter.

If your happy with it then don't worry!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 11 Jan 2016, 9:26pm

edocaster wrote:Although the figure sounds a bit heavy, it wouldn't surprise me if a cargo bike was that heavy. If they are made to carry all kinds of things, the first concern is that they should be practically unbreakable.

A lot of tandems are 30% lighter and carry two people,also needing to handle to pedalling forces of them whilst carrying carry a touring load.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Jan 2016, 8:11am

Bigdummysteve wrote:https://ridewithgps.com/trips/5642930 Cornwall heavy load MickF ?.
Nice ride! :D
Some hills eh?
Mick F. Cornwall

Bigdummysteve

Postby Bigdummysteve » 12 Jan 2016, 8:20am

Mick F wrote:
Bigdummysteve wrote:https://ridewithgps.com/trips/5642930 Cornwall heavy load MickF ?.
Nice ride! :D
Some hills eh?

I suffered further into Cornwall, I avoided the dreaded A30 even past Penzance. The weight really hurt!

SpannerGeek

Postby SpannerGeek » 12 Jan 2016, 8:24am

That's a serious set of hills - you must have thighs like Arnie!