Gaining more Real Estate and Other Hacks.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CREPELLO

Gaining more Real Estate and Other Hacks.

Post by CREPELLO »

I came across this rather impressive addition of handlebar real estate when googling ideas on mounting a smartphone. :P
It comes from a good little article on diy camera mounts from this excellent US website 'Bike Hacks'
http://www.bikehacks.com/bikehacks/2014 ... ounts.html

Has anyone here found a solid diy way of mounting a smartphone, that can be removed easily?
Bez

Re: Gaining more Real Estate and Other Hacks.

Post by Bez »

See here (and preceding tweet): https://twitter.com/beztweets/status/606216772795133952

You'll need a SRAM Quickview Edge Adapter (£3.50), a hacksaw to slice it in half, and something like 1g of Sugru to attach it with. Assuming you don't want to convert your phone irreversibly, you can either attach it to a removable rear cover—as in the example—or to a removable hard shell (eBay or Amazon should come up with one or both for most phones). And you end up with a phone that attaches neatly to a Garmin Edge quarter-turn mount.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Bez wrote:See here (and preceding tweet): https://twitter.com/beztweets/status/606216772795133952

You'll need a SRAM Quickview Edge Adapter (£3.50), a hacksaw to slice it in half, and something like 1g of Sugru to attach it with. Assuming you don't want to convert your phone irreversibly, you can either attach it to a removable rear cover—as in the example—or to a removable hard shell (eBay or Amazon should come up with one or both for most phones). And you end up with a phone that attaches neatly to a Garmin Edge quarter-turn mount.
Looks very good Bez, although it appears that I would need to buy the handlebar mount as well. For up to 6 bikes that could be pricey!

One other thought - are these 1/4 twist mounts secure? I bought a very nice Sigma computer once with a 1/4 twist bracket and promptly dropped it on the road on the first ride, due to pressing a button which caused the thing to release! I'd be concerned that a larger smartphone would act as a lever if it got a knock from the wrong angle, prompting it's inadvertent release. If the 1/4 twist bracket has an extra locking tab release I would be happy with it.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Last time I bought Edge mounts they were about £8 for two (from a German retailer, I think) so not too pricey.

I've never had a problem with the Edge mounts; they're pretty secure. And you can get a variety of types: the rubber O-ring mounts, out-front brackets and so on. The O-ring ones are pretty easy to swap between bikes, too: you just unclip the rings and then hook them up again. I tend to use mine on the stem and they sit there happily. No problems with the weight of a smallish phone, even off-road, IME.

Of course, mishaps aren't impossible, so I won't guarantee the welfare of your phone ;) but I've not had a problem. Mounting it on the stem may help: it's pretty out of the way there.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Does the 1/4 twist bracket provide a firm positive lock - ie, does it require much pressure to un-twist the bracket? The Sigma bracket that I mentioned has a quite vague 'click' to it's lock.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

CREPELLO wrote:Has anyone here found a solid diy way of mounting a smartphone, that can be removed easily?

I'm currently using one of these - if you search ebay for silicon bike mount you'll come up with cheaper versions.

So far my phone has remained very secure although I would not say 'rock solid' in that there is some sideways movement on occasions but a quick tweek lines things up again. You do of course use up handlebar real estate. The silicon gizzmo threads around the handlebar in a few seconds and is removed in just a few seconds too, so you can move it between bikes quickly.

Have a look at this youtube video here to see how easy the mount is to use.
Attachments
temp.jpg
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Thanks for that suggestion Bf2 - is certainly a good economical option to consider.