Oats-so-pointless...?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CREPELLO

Re: Oats-so-pointless...?

Postby CREPELLO » 5 Feb 2016, 10:25pm

RickH wrote:
MikeF wrote:...not even a quick self service checkout like Sainsbury's.

Personally, I hate those self service tills. I know some places where they've taken them out.

Our local Sainsburys doesn't have them either.
I prefer them for when I'm packing my panniers - they allow me to pack them carefully in an unhurried way.

The queues for them are usually the shortest as well.

(but I buy my oats in sacks from an oat farm - no queues at all there :mrgreen: )

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 6 Feb 2016, 12:01am

RickH wrote:
MikeF wrote:...not even a quick self service checkout like Sainsbury's.

Personally, I hate those self service tills. I know some places where they've taken them out.

Our local Sainsburys doesn't have them either! :D

MikeF wrote:...they won't take credit cards :( = poor business model.

They've been taking credit cards since 2014.

Rick.
You're right - it seems they do now, but they didn't promote that. The number of times I've had a credit card rejected by them, I just got fed up with the faffing around. However their appallingly long queues at the checkout remain.
Sainsbury's self service tills are perhaps daunting at first, but once you've got round the quirks, they are very quick for a few items and normally there isn't a queue. There's always a staff person there as well.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

freiston

Postby freiston » 11 Feb 2016, 1:45am

The porridge at my office canteen is a rip-off - more expensive than the instant stuff that Brucey mentioned in his opening post and not the best porridge by a long shot. There are two microwaves (one for meat and one strictly vegetarian) for the whole office of two or three hundred staff and so I have started to mix a cup of oats with a pinch of salt and some sugar in an insulated bowl with screw lid same as this one but half the price from Aldi. When I get to work, I top it up with hot water from the special 'boiling water tap', stir, screw the lid back on and return to my desk. twenty minutes or so later, I take the lid off and have beautifully cooked porridge :)

Edit:

When finding the link for the insulated bowl above, I came across this - I found the bullet points amusing:

Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

ludo

Postby ludo » 11 Feb 2016, 2:30pm

I use scotch porridge oats, a pinch of salt, and some water. Put it in a pan, put it on full heat stirring the mix constantly. When it begins to boil after a minute or 2, turn the cooker off but leave the pan on the hot plate. After 3 minutes, the porridge is ready to eat. Add milk or whatever else you fancy. Syrup is quite good. The method only works if using an electric oven.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 13 Feb 2016, 5:09pm

kylecycler wrote:
Peasemeal brose definitely is worth a try, though - you might get a bag at your local health shop. Tastes like... peasemeal brose. :)

Is peasemeal the same as Pease Pudding, often sold in tins?

If so, how do you make this brose of which you speak? Relative quantities?
Sweep

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 13 Feb 2016, 5:14pm

al_yrpal wrote:Aldis Specially selected steaks are all great, especially the fillet steaks for a fiver. Mince is great with various levels of fat, braising steak etc all good and all red tractor UK farm scourced. What beef isnt good - joints? Chicken, turkey, pork lamb is ok too? Havent tried their porridge oats, the Mrs buys hers from the Coop.

Al

The oats in both Lidl and Aldi are at the dust end of the spectrum in my experience. Cheap of course but only worth getting when there's nothing else.
Sweep

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 13 Feb 2016, 7:42pm

Sweep wrote:
kylecycler wrote:
Peasemeal brose definitely is worth a try, though - you might get a bag at your local health shop. Tastes like... peasemeal brose. :)

Is peasemeal the same as Pease Pudding, often sold in tins?

If so, how do you make this brose of which you speak? Relative quantities?

Peasemeal is a flour made from peas
Pease pudding, at least the one I make, is from dried yellow peas.
So there is a common theme of peas but I've no idea what I'd use Prasemeal for
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 13 Feb 2016, 10:34pm

I like porridge but it keeps on overflowing in the microwave :( messy microwave and messy pots

freiston

Postby freiston » 13 Feb 2016, 10:44pm

mercalia wrote:I like porridge but it keeps on overflowing in the microwave :( messy microwave and messy pots

From earlier in the thread:
Ross K wrote:Top tip 1 - use a very big plastic or pyrex bowl as it boils up to many times its size. The aim is to avoid replicating a messy science lab experiment, which brings me to. . .

Top tip 2 - clean everything immediately in just plain water, it completely avoids the phenomenon of porridge mimicking concrete.

If I make it in the microwave, I use a large pyrex bowl. I kept upping the size until I didn't get a mess - turned out to be the largest pyrex pudding basin that we have.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

RickH

Postby RickH » 13 Feb 2016, 11:10pm

I discovered recently how to not be ravenously hungry by mid-morning when having porridge.

Have something else for breakfast early on & eat the porridge at around 11am! :D

Rick.

Graham

Postby Graham » 14 Feb 2016, 1:34pm

RickH wrote:I discovered recently how to not be ravenously hungry by mid-morning when having porridge.

Have something else for breakfast early on & eat the porridge at around 11am! :D

Rick.

Nah Rick. You just have to eat more porridge at breakfast time.

My minimum measure is "a saucepan full". A bowlful just does not count : that's an amount for small children. :mrgreen:

Fex54

Postby Fex54 » 14 Feb 2016, 9:35pm

Just watching a fascinating programme on BBC 2 about Chinese New Year. Some of the Chinese on their way home by motorbike stop for ginger porridge. This confection involves rice, ginger spring onion and pork.

Anyone tried it?
FEX54

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 14 Feb 2016, 9:39pm

Hi,
mercalia wrote:I like porridge but it keeps on overflowing in the microwave :( messy microwave and messy pots

After initial heat on full power, reduce the power setting increase the time and watch the stuff rise through the window then switch off as required.
Bigger pot, I am assuming you got the one use cardboard quick stuff.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

Ross K

Postby Ross K » 15 Feb 2016, 7:25am

freiston wrote:

Ross K wrote:Top tip 1 - use a very big plastic or pyrex bowl as it boils up to many times its size. The aim is to avoid replicating a messy science lab experiment, which brings me to. . .

Top tip 2 - clean everything immediately in just plain water, it completely avoids the phenomenon of porridge mimicking concrete.

If I make it in the microwave, I use a large pyrex bowl. I kept upping the size until I didn't get a mess - turned out to be the largest pyrex pudding basin that we have.

Cheers, Freiston, like you, I just used a bigger and bigger bowl until it contained the rising porridge - I ended up with a massive (cheap basics Tesco) mixing bowl!

Just to add a further tip, and without getting too anal about it, I realised that the right oats/liquid mix helps, so I've ended up weighing straight into the big plastic bowl for perfect porridge every time: 110g of dry oats, top up to a total of 900g with 50:50 water and skimmed milk, then blast on full for 6 minutes, stir, then 2.5 minutes more onm the high setting. Chop in banana and leave for a few mins then add a wee bit more milk or water and wolf it doon! The above makes a big helping for one or a sensible helping for two!

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 15 Feb 2016, 8:02am

Ross K wrote:
freiston wrote:

Cheers, Freiston, like you, I just used a bigger and bigger bowl until it contained the rising porridge - I ended up with a massive (cheap basics Tesco) mixing bowl!

Just to add a further tip, and without getting too anal about it, I realised that the right oats/liquid mix helps, so I've ended up weighing straight into the big plastic bowl for perfect porridge every time: 110g of dry oats, top up to a total of 900g with 50:50 water and skimmed milk, then blast on full for 6 minutes, stir, then 2.5 minutes more onm the high setting. Chop in banana and leave for a few mins then add a wee bit more milk or water and wolf it doon! The above makes a big helping for one or a sensible helping for two!

Hats off to you if you can eat this amount of porridge plus a banana. I thought my appetite for porridge was above normal (50g) but now I'm not so sure. :shock: