Oats-so-pointless...?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ross K

Re: Oats-so-pointless...?

Postby Ross K » 17 Feb 2016, 8:42pm

Thanks Crepello, I'll gather some ingredients. . .

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 17 Feb 2016, 9:58pm

It would be great to hear any feedback from anyone trying out the savoury flapjack. I must admit to only having make the Walnut recipe once, but it was for a recent Christmas sale and feedback there was very good (they sold out).

elPedro666

Postby elPedro666 » 18 Feb 2016, 1:52am

What's all this talk of milk in porridge?! Disgraceful. Water, salt, whatever fruit is about to go off and/or jam is going mouldy. Lovely!

gxaustin

Postby gxaustin » 18 Feb 2016, 3:27pm

Even more pointless: a plastic bottle with a bit of flower in it. You add milk, shake it up and hey presto: pancake batter :?

As to porridge, I use water and add dried fruit (no sugar/ golden syrup - yuk). Sometimes I add my chunky marmalade. This can be pepped up with ginger, cinnamon or chilli - or a mixture. Yummy

ambodach

Postby ambodach » 19 Feb 2016, 12:44pm

What kind of flowers? Nasturtium?

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 23 Feb 2016, 2:25pm

Here's photo of a recent batch of the Walnut, green olive and parmesan flapjacks I've made.
P1010061.jpg

As I'm running low on my fresh green coriander seed paste, I substituted it with 1/2 a bottle of my Apple and Smoky Garlic sauce. The apple content helps the flapjack retain moisture :mrgreen:

freiston

Postby freiston » 24 Feb 2016, 1:13am

ambodach wrote:What kind of flowers? Nasturtium?

Beat me to it - though I was going to suggest chamomile - but nasturtiums would add a piquancy :)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

freiston

Postby freiston » 24 Feb 2016, 1:21am

Crepello - I do intend to make and try some of your savoury flapjack recipe, but like so many things, I haven't gotten around to it yet. For one reason or another, I think I'll have to come up with a substitute for your Cilantrico but it does look yummy and I have 'liked' Cilantrico's facebook page :)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 24 Feb 2016, 8:41am

freiston wrote:Crepello - I do intend to make and try some of your savoury flapjack recipe, but like so many things, I haven't gotten around to it yet. For one reason or another, I think I'll have to come up with a substitute for your Cilantrico but it does look yummy and I have 'liked' Cilantrico's facebook page :)

Thankyou freiston :) As I alluded to in a previous post, the flavour combinations are pretty endless. I picked wild garlic a couple of days, so that may find itself into a recipe.

rjb

Postby rjb » 24 Feb 2016, 2:11pm

I'm still enjoying the basic ones. Oats, sugar, Golden Syrup, Buttery spread, Sultanas, whatever breakfast cereal I have available. Yummy!

image.jpg
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 7 Mar 2016, 2:56pm

freiston wrote:
mercalia wrote:I like porridge but it keeps on overflowing in the microwave :( messy microwave and messy pots

From earlier in the thread:
Ross K wrote:Top tip 1 - use a very big plastic or pyrex bowl as it boils up to many times its size. The aim is to avoid replicating a messy science lab experiment, which brings me to. . .

Top tip 2 - clean everything immediately in just plain water, it completely avoids the phenomenon of porridge mimicking concrete.

If I make it in the microwave, I use a large pyrex bowl. I kept upping the size until I didn't get a mess - turned out to be the largest pyrex pudding basin that we have.

ah thanks for the idea. Poundland has some nice (£1) tall microwaveable plastic containers ( with a rubber washer to seal the top so very useful) that do the job - can easily see when the porridge starts to rise up the container and so step in. (but dont use the top) And the plastic is easy to clean. good for other purposes also

poundland.jpg
poundland container

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 7 Mar 2016, 3:06pm

the past couple of weeks I have been treating myself to 'chocolatey porridge', following 'honesty's ' suggestion.

My favoured approach is simply to sprinkle a little instant drinking chocolate mix on the top of the hot porridge as a topping, rather than stirring it in. Repeat applications may be required before the bottom of the porridge is reached!

This approach means that in a single porridge helping you can use about half as much mix as is required to make a single cup of hot chocolate.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

don1

Postby don1 » 7 Mar 2016, 4:36pm

I use a small cup of oats. Then 2 cups of skimmed milk, and a cup of water.
Into the microwave for a few mins then I like to serve with a big dollop (I love that word !!) of jam, all mixed in.

bike4fun

Postby bike4fun » 7 Mar 2016, 11:00pm

I make mine with semi skimmed milk and blueberries, then into the microwve for 3 mins and then allow a few mins to cool slightly....

honesty

Postby honesty » 8 Mar 2016, 9:24am

Brucey wrote:the past couple of weeks I have been treating myself to 'chocolatey porridge', following 'honesty's ' suggestion.

My favoured approach is simply to sprinkle a little instant drinking chocolate mix on the top of the hot porridge as a topping, rather than stirring it in. Repeat applications may be required before the bottom of the porridge is reached!

This approach means that in a single porridge helping you can use about half as much mix as is required to make a single cup of hot chocolate.

cheers

its good isn't it. I find it's great for camping as you dont need to worry about milk as the hot chocolate has powdered milk in it.