Oats-so-pointless...?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Grandad

Re: Oats-so-pointless...?

Post by Grandad »

Coarse oats with cold milk (muesli minus the fruit] has been my pre-ride breakfast since I started racing in the late 1950s
Ross K

Post by Ross K »

Porridge, food of the Gods.

For me, a big bowl every day (100g portion (150g before a big ride) microwaved with 50:50 skimmed milk:water) with chopped up ripe banana or big fat sultanas or prunes - yumyum!

Top tip 1 - use a very big plastic or pyrex bowl as it boils up to many times its size. The aim is to avoid replicating a messy science lab experiment, which brings me to. . .

Top tip 2 - clean everything immediately in just plain water, it completely avoids the phenomenon of porridge mimicking concrete.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Tried a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter in my porridge while camping last year, it was good.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

honesty wrote:
pete75 wrote:
honesty wrote:You cant make proper porridge without milk anyway

Oh yes you can. Proper porridge is made with water.

That's just wrong :wink:

Make it with water and put a bit of salt in - what's wrong with that???
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

AMMoffat wrote:Porridge made with oatmeal (not rolled oats) and a bit of salt every time. Making it with milk is the ruination of a fine dish. Cold milk, as everyone should know, accompanies porridge once made. But then I am Scottish 8)

+1. And the best (and apparently traditional) way with the cold milk is to have it in a separate cup -- dip the spoon first into the porridge and then into the milk, and only then convey to your mouth... My family always ate it like this and I still do, though these days I prefer brose made with medium oatmeal, or a mix of oatmeal and peasemeal

Sweetened porridge - euughhh!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

blackbike wrote:
beardy wrote:You cant expect hard working families to find the time to pour one cup of oats, one cup of milk and one cup of water into a bowl and microwave it for a couple of minutes, can you?

Let alone use (and wash :shock: :shock: ) a pan.

We all lead such busy lives these days.

It's hard finding the time to cook when we watch TV for four hours per day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28677674

Made even worse when half those programs are cookery programs!!! :?

Yes we're doomed :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
beardy

Post by beardy »

But one day, one of those cookery programmes will teach us how to make an old traditional dish called porridge, it will become fashionable and be served in all the poshest restaurants

and we will all be saved!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

LollyKat wrote: ... the best (and apparently traditional) way with the cold milk is to have it in a separate cup -- dip the spoon first into the porridge and then into the milk, and only then convey to your mouth... My family always ate it like this and I still do...

if you like the taste of cold milk this is probably the way that best preserves that flavour; if you put the milk into the porridge and cook it, or add the milk to the porridge wholesale, you can get a 'cooked milk' flavour which is quite different.

Similar considerations apply to making a decent cup of tea; if the milk meets the tea when the tea is too hot, the result is again a 'cooked milk' flavour.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

beardy wrote:But one day, one of those cookery programmes will teach us how to make an old traditional dish called porridge, it will become fashionable and be served in all the poshest restaurants

and we will all be saved!

You can't sell porridge cookery books and get rich owning arty farty porridge restaurants.
So that one's dead in the water,err sorry dead in the powdered milk substitute.
No,we're doomed :D
W H Auden
beardy

Post by beardy »

I thought that Deliah had a great success teaching people how to boil eggs.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

beardy wrote:I thought that Deliah had a great success teaching people how to boil eggs.

Tom Jones had the best idea about what to do with Deliah(sorry that was Delilah)but the same applies :wink:
W H Auden
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

LollyKat wrote:+1. And the best (and apparently traditional) way with the cold milk is to have it in a separate cup -- dip the spoon first into the porridge and then into the milk, and only then convey to your mouth...

Yes, my father ate his porridge that way and considered the rest of us a bit odd for adding the milk to the bowl.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

This forum never fails to deliver the goods. I've been eating porridge all my life and I thought I'd tried most combinations but there are some truly inspirational suggestions here. For everyday porridge I only ever sweeten with dried or fresh fruit but on tour, for those extra miles, almost anything is worth trying.

At the risk of offending the purists, for real rocket fuel, try Nutella and/or yoghurt, full fat of course.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I remember on a night camp with the ATC once when I was a kid we put the hot chocolate powder in with the porridge from the rat pack. It was amazing first thing in the morning.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I have had a bag of oats, a bowl and MAPLE SYRUP in my locker at work, quick zap in the microwave, until the microwave disappeared and we have to traipse to another dept to use one....... :-(
Took as long as some of those who first started using Oats-So...... microwaveable type.

These days am using CNP Sky High Protein variant, (when i can get access to microwave and have enough time to go and grab).

I confess to using the pour on boiling water variety on our annual camp... no microwave, and no need to try to cook on a stove and more importantly NO Washing up of the sticky porridge pan.... :lol:

I well recall being in a hostel in the Appalachians, when this tureen was brought out, all the Yanks grinned and announced 'Oats', while the Brits all declared 'porridge'

When we first sat down i queried what was in particular dish and was informed it was Maple Syrup for the Oats........

Maple Syrup and Honey... new super food... no need for fancy gels...... make your own. :-)
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells