E bikes - do you secretly want one?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Lance Dopestrong

Re: E bikes - do you secretly want one?

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 20 Jan 2018, 11:58pm

I have two motorbikes, so have the human power and motorised power bases covered already.
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 21 Jan 2018, 12:21am

mattsccm wrote:Nope. For me cycling is about coming home cream crackered....

What if you're cream crackered before you go out?
Its not all about speed either,there's more to life than cream crackers and cheese,err, I mean speed :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 21 Jan 2018, 9:26am

reohn2 wrote:
mattsccm wrote:Nope. For me cycling is about coming home cream crackered....

What if you're cream crackered before you go out?
Its not all about speed either,there's more to life than cream crackers and cheese,err, I mean speed :wink:

I do wish the laws of physics could be changed so that one might cycle uphill without having to ride down again
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 21 Jan 2018, 11:18am

Tired before I go out? I stay at home. Commuting isn't an option on a bike so its recreational which to me means riding until I am tired. I still see the same things as riding slowly. I still stop and look at things but I feel more satisfied when worn out. It means I can eat more junk for a start. I also have a motorcycle.
Don't get me wrong, if the correct circumstances existed then I would consider one but they don't. Sadly the range isn't there yet anyway as far as I know. Anything that will power me for 50 miles at top speed with no input from me out there?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 21 Jan 2018, 11:53am

mattsccm wrote:Tired before I go out? I stay at home. Commuting isn't an option on a bike so its recreational which to me means riding until I am tired. I still see the same things as riding slowly. I still stop and look at things but I feel more satisfied when worn out. It means I can eat more junk for a start. I also have a motorcycle.
Don't get me wrong, if the correct circumstances existed then I would consider one but they don't. Sadly the range isn't there yet anyway as far as I know. Anything that will power me for 50 miles at top speed with no input from me out there?

I like "bike tired" it's satisying.However not everyone wants the bike for the purpose of tiring themselves out,some just want a no hassle A to B local vehicle,others may have health issues,etc,etc,there are numerous reasons and uses for a pedelec.

A few years ago when pedelecs were a real rarety,we were on the tandem in Lancaster and got chatting to a lady in her late sixties who was on a pedelec,she told us she was fed up waiting for busses and as she didnt drive and hadn't ridden a bike of any kind for years decided to buy a pedelec.
She was beaming as she told us how it had widened her horizons once she'd found all the ways she could escape the traffic(Lancaster has pretty good cycling facilities compared to most UK towns and cities),I'll never forget how she described cycling as a "new lease of life" :) .It was that chance encounter that said to me how liberating a pedelec can be for people who wouldn't normally consider a bike,and how such machines could widen the acceptance and scope for all cyclists,powered or not.
To offer people a form of assisted exercise and transport,when those people may not even consider cycling without that assistance is a huge potential for their health,reducing car numbers on the roads and for cycling in general and also for good of the nation IMO

To equate a pedelec to a motorcycle is completely missing the point of a pedelec,as pedelecs can go where m/cycles can't,silently more sedately and without the clothing and kelter associated with motorcycling,that's not to decry or degrade motorcycling it just isn't a fair or honest comparison IMO,electric motorcycles are a very different beast.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 21 Jan 2018, 6:07pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:Not so secretly.

I just can't justify one. If I was commuting more like 15 than 5 miles each way then I'd consider a front wheel kit for the back of the raptobike...

I was wrong. I put the motor on the trike, and the rapto is still faster than the trike...
If I could put a kW on the rapto, that might be a bit more fun... use the dual carriageway in rush hour without hesitation then...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Carpediem

Postby Carpediem » 23 Jan 2018, 6:25pm

reohn2 wrote:
mattsccm wrote:Tired before I go out? I stay at home. Commuting isn't an option on a bike so its recreational which to me means riding until I am tired. I still see the same things as riding slowly. I still stop and look at things but I feel more satisfied when worn out. It means I can eat more junk for a start. I also have a motorcycle.

I like "bike tired" it's satisying.However not everyone wants the bike for the purpose of tiring themselves out,some just want a no hassle A to B local vehicle,others may have health issues,etc,etc,there are numerous reasons and uses for a pedelec.

A few years ago when pedelecs were a real rarety,we were on the tandem in Lancaster and got chatting to a lady in her late sixties who was on a pedelec,she told us she was fed up waiting for busses and as she didnt drive and hadn't ridden a bike of any kind for years decided to buy a pedelec.
She was beaming as she told us how it had widened her horizons once she'd found all the ways she could escape the traffic(Lancaster has pretty good cycling facilities compared to most UK towns and cities),I'll never forget how she described cycling as a "new lease of life" :) .It was that chance encounter that said to me how liberating a pedelec can be for people who wouldn't normally consider a bike,and how such machines could widen the acceptance and scope for all cyclists,powered or not.
To offer people a form of assisted exercise and transport,when those people may not even consider cycling without that assistance is a huge potential for their health,reducing car numbers on the roads and for cycling in general and also for good of the nation IMO

To equate a pedelec to a motorcycle is completely missing the point of a pedelec,as pedelecs can go where m/cycles can't,silently more sedately and without the clothing and kelter associated with motorcycling,that's not to decry or degrade motorcycling it just isn't a fair or honest comparison IMO,electric motorcycles are a very different beast.

Very well put :D
If and when the day comes I can no longer manage the hills I'd definitely consider an Ebike.
Hope I have a few years left.

RichardPH

Postby RichardPH » 23 Jan 2018, 7:16pm

Early last year I regarded myself as a fittish 63yo, managing to keep up about 175W average for half an hour, happy with that. Then my LAD coronary artery blocked whilst out on a ride. Not good, reduced my output to 100W for 4 minutes accompanied by excruciating angina, blood flow was limited to a couple of minor collaterals, which were nevertheless essential in keeping my heart muscle undamaged.

An electric motor for the shopping bike was the answer to increasing stir craziness whilst the NHS sorted me out. A Tongsheng TDSZ2 bottom bracket motor with proportional torque sensing power delivery made the bike once again a delight to ride. 4 settings, found the 'normal' one was fine for my level of fitness and achieved a range of 50miles on a medium hilly route with an all-up weight of 108kg. Cost £450, weighs 7kg and took a couple of days to fit.

Here's the science. Me on that bike could, when fit, could deliver 175W with an all-up weight of 100kg. Add the motor and 10A-hr battery and the potential power rises to 425W, for an all-up weight of 108kg, that's a improvement of 225%. Tell me that doesn't make perfect sense. Add in the ability to take the battery to the charger, without the bike being attached, and you've got yourself a practical solution for almost anyone.

It's about energy density, an electric motor and a battery is a big step up in power to weight ratio from any human, up to and including Chris Froome. It's why mechanical doping has been a successful cheat strategy in pro cycling.

Lots of my older friends have been waiting around like vultures for me to get better and sell them my e-bike kit for a song. They're going to be waiting a long time, it's so much fun for around town stuff it's here to stay, even though the NHS have done a grand job stenting my artery.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 23 Jan 2018, 7:48pm

I could see one going on my list eventually when things improve. My comment about tiredness was a response to the initial Q. Would I want one?

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 23 Jan 2018, 7:51pm

Two of our club members ride them. They would have to give up riding without the assist. 60+ miles on a single battery charge. I thing they are on about 10% on the flat. Never known them run out of juice.
Nothing left to prove.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 23 Jan 2018, 9:26pm

I was taking a the train today and this guy wheeled his EVO SCOOTER onto the train - an electric powered scooter. I had a long chat with him, he said he used it on the road and all he got from the cops was a dirty look but has never been stopped; he said he had had one now for 2 years

https://www.evoscooters.co.uk/road-legal-scooters/1000w-48v-road-legal-evo-powerboard-electric-scooter-12-tyres-black-c9316.html

https://www.evoscooters.co.uk/road-legal-scooters.html

most seem to be out of stock - is that significant?

Seems like they may be road legal - according to the website. SO what do people here think of them, smaller than a bike and he said his could go 20 mph, range about 15 miles

so what does road legal here mean anyone?

queston answered

http://electricscootersforadultshq.co.uk/electric-scooter-laws-in-the-uk/

but

and a big but

http://www.atob.org.uk/legal-issues/are-electric-micro-scooters-legal/