New wheels recommend please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Re: New wheels recommend please

Post by mercalia »

I would assume that apart from the worn rims the wheels on your Galaxy are ok? if so then my comment is that since Dawes "factory" wheels were never top class so you could probably get by with another "factory" quality wheel, from one of the dealers mentioned above? then if u want to try building wheels get some cheap rims from ebay - there is a guy there who often has special deals incl new spokes

this guy - nidderdalecyclesandhire

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/nidderdalecyclesandhire?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2754

thats what I did, £26 for a new set of wheels using my old hubs, that I built
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

As someone said above, buy an Iwanson gauge. Your rims may be concave, but still have a good few miles in them left.

If your present wheels have spent most of their life straight and true, then the spokes are likely to be in good condition and can be reused. It' really then a matter of taping the replacement rim to the old rim and transfering the spokes across before tensioning them.

32H and 36H rims/hubs are incompatible.

You don't need a spoke tension meter. As you have a quality wheelset already, you should be able to use that as a reference for spoke tension.

A tip when your tensioning the rear wheel: Start by putting most of the tension on the drive side spokes first. This means that when then tension the NDS spokes, you'll experience minimum spoke wind-up, which is one of the (slightly) trickier aspects of wheel building. Tensioning the DS spokes will also be easier, which can be unnerving to do when they need significant tension put into them. Too little tension will mean the NDS spokes coming loose.

Also, use vaseline for lubing the spoke thread/ nipple seatings (non on rear DS spokes). Your hands will love you for it and there is no risk of getting oil seepage onto the rims, which has happened from wheels built for me.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

OP, why is it you want 28mm tyres for your Galaxy, if it is just for commuting & going to the shops. A slightly bigger tyre provides advantages in the comfort stakes and if you're not racing anyway, why go smaller?

There can be large differences between ride characteristics of different tyres of the same width and large differences in comfort with respect to using the correct tyre pressure. A lot of people are limited to 28mm tyres by their frame clearance; you aren't, so why not stick with bigger and better, for your application.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Freddie wrote:OP, why is it you want 28mm tyres for your Galaxy, if it is just for commuting & going to the shops. A slightly bigger tyre provides advantages in the comfort stakes and if you're not racing anyway, why go smaller?

There can be large differences between ride characteristics of different tyres of the same width and large differences in comfort with respect to using the correct tyre pressure. A lot of people are limited to 28mm tyres by their frame clearance; you aren't, so why not stick with bigger and better, for your application.

I agree and would add that compared to a lightweight road bike, the Galaxy frame is designed to be stiffer for loaded touring and will give a harsher ride for a lighter rider, riding it lightly loaded on narrow tyres.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Freddie wrote:OP, why is it you want 28mm tyres for your Galaxy, if it is just for commuting & going to the shops. A slightly bigger tyre provides advantages in the comfort stakes and if you're not racing anyway, why go smaller?

+1. I have 37mm tyres on my tourer, which is used for commuting and trips to the shops as well as touring. I have a faster bike available for the commute, but the supremely comfortable ride of the wider tyres wins the day most days.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com