Severn Crossing by cycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
dbennett1882

Severn Crossing by cycle

Post by dbennett1882 »

A friend and I were vaguely considering a tour involving crossing the Severn using the cycle path beside the "old" M48 bridge.
I was returning to Cornwall by car from a trip at the weekend and decided to cross the M48 bridge just to check out the access points for the cycle path.
Unfortunately the bridge was closed due to bad weather and I had to use the new M4 crossing.
Looking online at the Severn Crossing website, I can see that it is open today but I cannot find out if there is any provision for cyclists when the bridge is closed to road traffic.
I would point out that I understand the concept of "closed" but since there is no cycle facility on the new crossing bridge and it is a long way around I would be grateful if anyone has some inside knowledge, or whether it is a matter of waiting for the bridge to re-open.
Dave
beardy

Re: Severn Crossing by cycle

Post by beardy »

The cycleway can be closed but I have never seen it done (though I am not local). I have crossed it three times now when it was closed to motor traffic and no restrictions were put on bikes (but some crafty motorcycles come and share the path).
Twice was due to routine maintenance and once due to bad weather. You can really feel the bad weather on the cycle track but the wind would have to pick you up and throw you over a five foot barrier to cause more harm than just falling over like you would anywhere else.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Crossing in gale force conditions when the road is closed, is not for the fainthearted. I did it once and would think twice about doing it again.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
beardy

Post by beardy »

Did you opt for the windward or leeward side?

I went for leeward, preferring the limited shelter over the risk of being blown off the side, which isnt really a credible risk with the barrier there. On occasions when motor traffic is still running the leeward side is pretty foul as the water flies straight off the road into you at face level and it comes in waves as the trucks pass.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Done it a few times, and the Forth bridge on many an occasion.
Yes, can get windy.

Severn Bridge tends to have winds coming up from the SW up the Bristol Channel, so maybe the northern side is best generally.

As for the Severn crossing, if you are doing an End2End or similar, it's flatter and easier to go up towards Gloucester rather than cross the Severn ............. though crossing the Severn is more fun. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I crossed the 26km dyke from Enkhuizen to Lelystad one crazy evening. The tourism guys advised against it, but I figured the fietspad was on the leeward side of the dyke so it would be OK. It was...until the last little 'hook' which veered head to wind. I think I was cycling backwards and big, fat summer rain belted me black and blue.

But these Dutch are smart. it was deliberately built on that side in accordance with the prevailing wind. They think of EVERYTHING....b
rjb

Post by rjb »

Lots more here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35564
There was also a fatality when the cycle barrier was closed by the toll booth operator who couldn't see the barrier and it unfortunately hit a cyclist about to cross. I would expect preventative measures to have been put in place to prevent a reocurrance by now.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

I cycled across yesterday, cycle path wasnt closed although the east bound motorway was, just go careful
Rich
Steveo2020

Post by Steveo2020 »

I have never done it when road is shut but the wind has never been a major problem because you don't need to worry about being blown into the path of a car.

On the other hand I had to walk my bike over the Clifton suspension bridge yesterday because it was impossible to ride in a straight line, and it is narrow with cars squeezing past. Walking was like walking on the deck of a ship - it was very visibly swinging. :shock:
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

rjb wrote:Lots more here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35564
There was also a fatality when the cycle barrier was closed by the toll booth operator who couldn't see the barrier and it unfortunately hit a cyclist about to cross. I would expect preventative measures to have been put in place to prevent a reocurrance by now.

According to my memory, it was a half-width lifting bar that came down after a work van that they were following through. The barrier is now a fixed half-width gate that doesn't leave room for a car (except for workmen with keys).
dbennett1882

Post by dbennett1882 »

Thanks to everybody who contributed
I now feel informed
Dave
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Northern side gets my vote every time. The last time I rode over the bridge at 3am it was windier near the banks but once in the middle the wind dropped. The reason for the 3am crossing was we were doing an overnight ride from Bath to Cardiff.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I crossed the 26km dyke from Enkhuizen to Lelystad one crazy evening. The tourism guys advised against it, but I figured the fietspad was on the leeward side of the dyke so it would be OK. It was...until the last little 'hook' which veered head to wind. I think I was cycling backwards and big, fat summer rain belted me black and blue.

But these Dutch are smart. it was deliberately built on that side in accordance with the prevailing wind. They think of EVERYTHING....b

The Severn Bridge path is also largely sheltered from the prevailing SW wind. If it feels unsafe you can also get off and walk. I did that when it was icy.
Last edited by pwa on 8 Feb 2016, 11:30am, edited 1 time in total.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Steveo2020 wrote:On the other hand I had to walk my bike over the Clifton suspension bridge yesterday because it was impossible to ride in a straight line, and it is narrow with cars squeezing past. Walking was like walking on the deck of a ship - it was very visibly swinging. :shock:

Oh, yes, that is always fun. I remember when there was some bad weather last year: not quite bad enough to close the bridge but bad enough that they'd put up signs for 'cyclists dismount'. Normally, those signs get my back up, but on this occasion... Walking the bike across the bridge, you could feel the bridge deck moving from side to side AND up and down. I was stumbling, where the deck was moving away from my feet - I wouldn't have ridden across if you'd paid me.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Mick F wrote:Severn Bridge tends to have winds coming up from the SW up the Bristol Channel, so maybe the northern side is best generally.

:D

Wouldn't one be better on the windward side because any gust would blow you against the bridge? The leeward side offers little protection from the wind but does have the potential to blow someone over the railing?
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".