Severn Crossing by cycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
honesty

Re: Severn Crossing by cycle

Post by honesty »

Ive only crossed the Clifton Suspension bridge a few times by bike and have always walked. More to see the view than anything though!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The southern path on the Severn Bridge ends, at the Chepstow end, in an industrial estate with a glass-strewn underpass to get into the town (or anywhere other than the factories and warehouses). The northern side is preferable if only for that.
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

bikepacker wrote:
Mick F wrote:Severn Bridge tends to have winds coming up from the SW up the Bristol Channel, so maybe the northern side is best generally.

:D

Wouldn't one be better on the windward side because any gust would blow you against the bridge? The leeward side offers little protection from the wind but does have the potential to blow someone over the railing?

The road deck is higher than the cycle path so affords a little shelter, the trick is to ride on the white line nearest to the road so that if you were caught by a gust there is room to have a wobble. The really iffy bits are where the road is the same level as the cycle path at the Chepstow end and as someone mentioned earlier the first/last 100 meters the Aust end where the wind really does whip up and there is no shelter.
Rich
Alexbiker

Post by Alexbiker »

Hi I am looking to move back to Wales an will commute by bike. Although there are good weather apps I did not want to get caught out by severnbridge closures as my 25mile each way would become 60 odd. Has anyone had issues. Happy cycling.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

It's not as simple as deciding which side would be best for th weather, for @ 3 weeks you have only been able to use the 'north' side for reasons that are not really clear! I hav been over a couple of times when one side has been closed to find they've swapped in the couple of hours before I returned!

Btw, the signed diversion is intended for those approaching/heading for Bristol but you can save yourself the extra miles by going half a mile along the main road towards Severn Beach where you can pick up the cyclepath/route - it's only the bit past the old Aust ferry that's shut.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!