Bike-friendly cafe - what would you like to see?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Richard Fairhurst

Bike-friendly cafe - what would you like to see?

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

For my (many) sins, I've taken on the chair of our local community-owned cafe and deli, and we're planning a big refit and expansion.

It's not a cycling cafe per se, but we get a good number of cyclists through Charlbury, and I'd like to make it "bike-friendly" at least. We already have good-quality Sheffield stands (we got the council to put those in a few years ago) and I can think of a few obvious quick wins, such as a track pump and puncture repair kit behind the counter.

What else should we be thinking about? What would you find useful in a bike-friendly cafe?
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Vorpal

Re: Bike-friendly cafe - what would you like to see?

Post by Vorpal »

My favourite cycling cafe has towels on hand for rainy days. Not only is it a nice touch for cyclists, it saves some clean-up in the cafe when the Sunday club run doesn't drip everywhere. :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

d locks or big chains on the stands for customers use.

Even small discounts (eg free refill for cyclists) can make a big difference to whether cyclists choose one cafe over another.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I take it Vorpal means towels to cover chairs. Some cyclists use mudguards, some don't, and there is an issue with muddy backs for the customers next in those seats.

Unlimited tea is good (and coffee these days). And a selection of goodies.

But cyclists on long leisure rides may try not to carry heavy locks. Sheffield stands are good, but putting bikes where you can see them and stay near them, maybe with a "token" lightweight lock, is better. I may decline to use a cafe if I have to sit where I can't see the bike easily. Some garden centres let you wheel the bike through to the cafe, which is great.

On, and yours may be the only chance of a loo stop all day, so that matters :-)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

drossall wrote:I take it Vorpal means towels to cover chairs. Some cyclists use mudguards, some don't, and there is an issue with muddy backs for the customers next in those seats.

Yes, for the chairs, but also to dry off a bit. I sometimes use two. One to dry off with & one to sit on. The towels also protect the chairs from wet (not just mud).

p.s. I do use mudguards. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
millimole

Post by millimole »

+1 for the ability to leave bike where they can be seen.
I'm not fussed about fancy teas and coffees as long as the drink is palatable, served hot, and there's a decent amount of it, I don't care about its provenance or brand.
Having a small selection of emergency 'get you home' spares and tools to buy would be nice.
Decent loos with floors that aren't lethal with cycling shoes!
Somewhere to hang wet outer clothes - appreciated by cyclists, walkers and other customers alike!
Staff that don't look at you if you are from outer space when wearing cycling 'uniform' (that the other customers do can't be helped!)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
beardy

Post by beardy »

A drinking water tap, so you dont have to bother busy staff to fill your bottle.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Cake.
whoof

Post by whoof »

A system in place where you can place and order and get a tea or coffee relatively quickly. I've been into cafes with a group of cyclists and it takes forever for someone to make a fancy coffee. The person who's first in the queue has finished theirs before the final member of the group has had their order taken. If there's a group of people together you can ask how many want tea and make a large pot for them to share.

Somewhere to sit outside where people aren't allowed to smoke.

Lots of cake.
honesty

Post by honesty »

What I look for in a bike friendly cafe. decent bike parking I can see. Extremely large pieces of Millionaires shortbread. Free water refills.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Cheap food.
Traditional soup like lentil, pea &ham, scotch broth, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Somewhere to park a bike - undercover - where it can be seen, but especially NOT Sheffield stands.
Nice soft-covered posts to lean your bike up to, and with a steel ring to attach your lock of choice.
Perhaps such a good place to put your bike ................ you don't need to lock it.

Good idea about a tap to fill the bottles.

Tea, coffee, soft drinks of course.
Home made cheese burgers.
Beans on toast.
Bacon butties.
Omelettes.
Sandwiches with a choice of fillings.
Baked spuds ditto.

Outside seating area (covered during inclement weather) Some folk like to smoke of course.

Free WiFi

Batteries for sale at reasonable prices.

Charging points for phones and devices - lots of mains sockets and a variety of connection leads available.

Warm radiators.
Mick F. Cornwall
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Porridge! (I’m mostly saying this to wind up Mick F, but who knows? Maybe people would like it, depending on your opening hours.)

Agree with a tap or other device to refill water bottles without asking staff.

In such places, I like to have enough personal space that I don’t have to worry whether others are suffering from my sweatiness. Not that I’m a particularly smelly person, but it’s always uncomfortable to be in close quarters with ‘civilians’ after a ride.

Not sure you need a non-smoking area outdoors. Smokers are already treated as pariahs these days – leave the boor blighters alone.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Samuel D wrote:Porridge! (I’m mostly saying this to wind up Mick F, but who knows? Maybe people would like it, depending on your opening hours.)
:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

A hook on the back of toilet doors. A simple thing but saves a load of aggro trying to stop your clothes going on the floor.