Difficulty remove Chain link

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Eyebrox

Re: Difficulty remove Chain link

Postby Eyebrox » 25 Feb 2016, 9:45pm

Wiggle doing chain link pliers for £3.25. Saves flaff and pain on arthritic hands. Speaking from experience.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 26 Feb 2016, 2:06pm

jezer wrote:Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I prefer to use properly designed tools for my pride and joys.

It was more common in "old fashioned" times to use self made special tools. IME they're more often better than the bought stuff.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 26 Feb 2016, 11:06pm

[quote="Mattyfez"]One tip I picked up which i find sooo handy for removing and replacing the chain, all you need is a thick large paperclip, or a bit of bent spoke or simmilar bit of metal...keeps the chain in place and frees both hands to faf with the link!

Used this technique for many years when using a chain link extractor (my 2special Tool2 was a bit of bent wire coathanger), the first time I tried it with a quicklink I came close to resorting to the dremel!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

freiston

Postby freiston » 27 Feb 2016, 1:36am

rmurphy195 wrote:
Mattyfez wrote:One tip I picked up which i find sooo handy for removing and replacing the chain, all you need is a thick large paperclip, or a bit of bent spoke or simmilar bit of metal...keeps the chain in place and frees both hands to faf with the link!

Used this technique for many years when using a chain link extractor (my 2special Tool2 was a bit of bent wire coathanger), the first time I tried it with a quicklink I came close to resorting to the dremel!

I keep a piece of bent coat-hanger wire in my toolkit for this very purpose.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

nosmarbaj

Postby nosmarbaj » 27 Feb 2016, 11:09am

The Topeak "Super" tool includes such a bit of wire. If you happen to need a chain tool anyway, it's worth considering. (Not worth the money just for the wire of course, since as others say a bit of bent clothes hanger does the job).

(edited to correct URL)
Last edited by nosmarbaj on 27 Feb 2016, 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwa

Postby pwa » 27 Feb 2016, 11:23am

nosmarbaj wrote:
Vantage wrote:I lost my patience with one of those stupid things when swapping everything over to the new build. After an hour I gave up and cut it off with a dremel.
I'll be trying sram next time.
IME Sram (9-speed) quick links are a pig to undo ...

... unless you use the method suggested by rfryer.

They can be fiddly when dirty, but I'd squirt a bit of WD40 or similar to flush it if necessary. Then push together with a bit of twisting / bending / wiggling of the chain at the same time. It never takes me more than about a minute to release, usually a lot less. But I can see how it might be a struggle for anyone with weak fingers.

freiston

Postby freiston » 27 Feb 2016, 11:29am

This might or might not be useful, but there are a few online videos showing the KMC Quick Link in use:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kmc+quicklink
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 27 Feb 2016, 12:15pm

Not all of these links are reusable. Make sure you are using the correct ones. :wink:

For KMC it seems the "R" in the code indicates a reusable one.
eg http://www.kmcchain.eu/connector-road_cross

Same applies to SRAM - some are not reusable.
eg CRC "IMPORTANT: The 7,8,and 9 speed links have 2 sides and 1 spacer. 10sp & 11sp Links are POWERLOCK, they fit together but then are not designed to come apart again"
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 27 Feb 2016, 12:42pm

cycleruk wrote:We presume you have a quicklink style.
There are various makes but if it's a KMC then I use pliers on the diagonal edges.
Some of the other designs though require a different technique.

Link%20%28Large%29.JPG
Link%20%28Large%29.JPG (23.2 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
As my above post, in your photo the link's code is just about discernible as CLXXXR - indicating (AFAIK) reusable.

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 27 Feb 2016, 4:05pm

Mick F wrote:
rfryer wrote:One technique is to feed the chain onto the outer chainring with one tooth of slack where the quick link is, so that the link is almost perpendicular to the chainring. You can then use any tool, or a handy rock, on the end of the link to push it apart.
Absolutely.

Easy, simple, quick, foolproof. :D

I've never yet managed to make that method work. I use the proper tool to remove and install the link. No idea why but the only links I find easy to release by hand are 9 speed ones. In the field I carry a splitter to do the job but it's very rarely needed.
Nothing left to prove.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Feb 2016, 4:16pm

Here's a couple of shots to explain.
2016-02-27 16.08.22.jpg
2016-02-27 16.08.59.jpg
Please excuse the manky chain and the manky bike. :oops:

Pull the chain so that the removable link is "proud" and rotate the chainwheel so the link is in a good place.
I use the blade of a screwdriver to press the link apart.
Simple, quick, and easy.

CJ had a thread on here about this method - complete with a photo. Maybe someone can find it and link it?
Mick F. Cornwall

rjb

Postby rjb » 27 Feb 2016, 5:58pm

CJ's article was in the magazine IIRC. Tried a search on the CTC website but couldn't find it. :(
If you arrange the quick link like Mick F shows then tap the top of the side link that slides down the quick link comes apart easily. This is how I open all of mine both SRAM and KMC types. I have reused my quick links, none of which have an R marking on them but they are for 8 speed. :wink:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 27 Feb 2016, 6:10pm

Here's one of many links http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9539&start=30. Seems CJ got it from Ian Shepherd.

ian s

Postby ian s » 27 Feb 2016, 10:11pm

That's me. I am very pleased that others have found the technique useful

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 28 Feb 2016, 6:50am

Excellent, Ian! :D

How did you work out this method?
Was it just a sudden realisation?

Completely different subject, but an equally brilliant idea occurred to me the other day.
We have a Fiat500 and they have Daylight Running Lights, and the bulbs don't seem to last. I've changed two of them in the last year.
They are an absolute bugger to change, and the other day whilst doing one, I dropped the bulb INSIDE the light fitting. The only thing to do was to remove the whole front bumper to get at it.

If I'd had some sort of flexi claw, I could have perhaps gripped it and pulled it out, but I didn't want to drive the car to go and get one with the bulb jiggling about loose inside the fitting.

I was resigned to taking the bumper off or a strip-down job, so went indoors for a cuppa to get mentally prepared.

The idea that hit me was to use a thin vacuum cleaner hose and suck the thing out. :lol:
Worked a treat. :D

http://www.fiatforum.com/500/430545-drl ... -bowl.html
Mick F. Cornwall