Where to buy Phil Wood hubs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Rabbit

Where to buy Phil Wood hubs

Post by Rabbit »

I am thinking of getting a pair of Phil Wood touring hubs. The best prices and choice seems to be online in America (not surprisingly) but I'm assuming there would be 20% VAT and import duties to pay on that, so I just wondered if anyone has used a good UK or even European supplier for Phil Wood stuff?
jk49

Re: Where to buy Phil Wood hubs

Post by jk49 »

I've used hubjub
http://hubjub.co.uk/
for a phil bb to fit a french threaded shell. They provided a good friendly service, so I'm happy to recommend them , although I don't know if they are able to get the hubs you are after. I think they only list track hubs on their website, maybe worth asking if they'll do a one off with their next order?
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Total Cycling do Phil Wood.

http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Phil-Wood/b-282.aspx

I have never ordered Phil Wood hubs but have had good service from Total Cycling, though haven't ordered from them in the last 18 months.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

they are nice hubs but if you are 'building the bike around the wheelset' for loaded touring, if you can do so, might I suggest considering the use of tandem hubs (in 145mm rear OLN) over solo hubs in 135mm?

You can have stronger and/or lighter wheels that way, albeit if you need to replace one out in the wild, it'll be trickier.

BTW Phil Wood hubshells are anodised; if you prefer a polished finish in comparable hubs, White Industries ones might be worth a look. I have some White Industries M16 model hubs and they are pretty nice hubs, a bit lighter than Phil Wood ones. They have stainless bearings and some plated cro-mo parts (axle, freehub body) where PWs have stainless ones.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

I once bought a rear PW from Rivendell. It's a version Rivendell commissioned from PW and looks like a mid-flange version of an old Record large flange hub if you see what I mean. I had the axle made up to a non-standard size for no extra charge. I think Rivendell still sell them. There may well have been VAT and customs on it, but I don't remember now. I do remember though that it arrived surprisingly quickly, and Rivendell's wheel-builder was very helpful in answering my email queries about the hub's dimensions.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Thanks all for the advice, will follow up those suggestions and thanks for the White Industries recommendation too, will check them out.

David