Suntour equipment.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Drake

Suntour equipment.

Post by Drake »

Is it possible to get tech docs for Suntour equipment
Brucey

Re: Suntour equipment.

Post by Brucey »

I think it matters which suntour equipment....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

I'd suggest emailing thier customer service direct, a lot of suntour stuff is OEM on pre built bikes so if there's no detailed info on thier website then a polite and enthusiastic email enquiry could yield good results.

I can't speak for the cycle industry, but I've found a similar approach with loudspeaker and amplifier companies to be fruitful.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

lmgtfy. :-)
http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/servic ... s-manuals/
... unless you meant old Suntour equipment, in which case try asking about the specific piece of kit you're interested in on the Technical board elsewhere in this forum.
Drake

Post by Drake »

Brucey wrote:I think it matters which suntour equipment....

cheers

It's a Suntour triple chainset, Model No. RBR 602. I'm trying to find the recommended BB cartridge length.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this listing

http://www.onyourbike.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=446_180&products_id=293

suggests that a 112.5mm BB, (presumably a JIS one) would be OK.

If a vendor cannot tell you what length BB is likely to give the correct chainline, that might be enough to make me shop elsewhere...

My recent experience with Suntour MTB cranksets has not been 100% favourable. They usually have a monstrous Q value (which is perhaps par for the course) , but they also have all kinds of other tricks up their sleeve, e.g. like that they have painted the inside of the square taper fitting, which can lead to intractable problems which the crank not seating correctly and then not running true. I've seen several (new) Suntour cranksets that were scrapped off essentially because of this kind of problem.

As a general rule cheaper cranksets are 'a little bit variable' anyway, and often give minor variations in chainline for no apparent reason. This being the case it usually makes sense to try a BB of any length with the same taper and then get a BB that is definitely going to give the chainline/clearance you want.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drake

Post by Drake »

Brucey wrote:this listing

http://www.onyourbike.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=446_180&products_id=293

suggests that a 112.5mm BB, (presumably a JIS one) would be OK.

If a vendor cannot tell you what length BB is likely to give the correct chainline, that might be enough to make me shop elsewhere...

My recent experience with Suntour MTB cranksets has not been 100% favourable. They usually have a monstrous Q value (which is perhaps par for the course) , but they also have all kinds of other tricks up their sleeve, e.g. like that they have painted the inside of the square taper fitting, which can lead to intractable problems which the crank not seating correctly and then not running true. I've seen several (new) Suntour cranksets that were scrapped off essentially because of this kind of problem.

As a general rule cheaper cranksets are 'a little bit variable' anyway, and often give minor variations in chainline for no apparent reason. This being the case it usually makes sense to try a BB of any length with the same taper and then get a BB that is definitely going to give the chainline/clearance you want.

cheers

Point taken.
But I do have to say that i'm running same crankset on my mtb, and so far haven't had any problems so far bar one.
I'm using a 118mm cartridge on my setup,if I remember correctly.
I can also say that I concur with one of your comments.
When I first setup the crankset, I had some trouble getting a reasonable chain line. In the end I settled on a 113mm cartridge, somewhat of a compromise if recall correctly.
Everything was fine for about 12 months, when on à journey home a knocking noise started from the BB area. On inspection I thought that the BB cartridge had collapsed.
But when I got home and inspected properly, I found the cartridge was infact loose in the BB housing.
My immediate thoughts were "you plonker ! you didn't tighten the cartridge up correctly".
So I tightened the cartridge back up, reassembled the crank arm and found the crank wouldn't turn.
Closer inspection I found that the crank was jamming on the BB housing. Couldn't understand why that should have happened, but after reading what you said about paint in the square housing, it makes me wonder.
Now why am I using Suntour again. Well it's cheap and cheerful, and the neighbours son is somewhat low on funds. But as I say, 12 months down the line I've not experienced anymore problems.
But being that he is short of funds, I thought I would try and get the recommended cartridge.