....the "new" Velo Orange layback seatpost?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: ....the "new" Velo Orange layback seatpost?

Post by reohn2 »

TBH,looking at the photos above the cradle looks extremely flimsy to my eye,I've broken a couple of different types in the past and they were much more substantial than that,though I'm not light @ 85kg.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
531colin

Post by 531colin »

reohn2 wrote:TBH,looking at the photos above the cradle looks extremely flimsy to my eye,I've broken a couple of different types in the past and they were much more substantial than that,though I'm not light @ 85kg.

It seems to be quite well supported......

There is obviously a gap between the cradle and the top cap at the back (you can see the bolt) but i think they touch in front of the bolt.....my 0.2mm feeler gauge wouldn't go through...

And it wouldn't go between where the cradle overlaps the hockey stick at the side...

there is an obvious gap under the cradle here at the back, but again my feeler only went in for a bit

But you have got a point.....I'll bung it back on a bike that gets ridden a bit....not that my 11 stone is much of a test!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pretty in depth checks those Colin,and I must admit with the saddle fitted the cradle doesn't look as 'vulnerable' thanks for that it may put some people's mind at rest :) .
W H Auden
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Update....this seatpost is still working for me, and now its £21, from Planet X
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

They've put up the price. I recently bought 2 for £13 each. And the price of "Holdsworth" stems has increased. Still not that expensive though, but could do with another stem to try in addition to those I bought. Oh well!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Does anyone know how much layback/setback the Dia-compe Gran Compe seatpost mentioned by Bensons on page 1 has? I guess it’s this one.

The Velo Orange / Holdsworth seatpost appears to have 30.2 mm of setback. That’s only 5.2 mm more than my Ritchey Classic.

With my new Brooks Cambium C17 saddle, I sometimes feel I’m sitting too far back on it. I’m not sure having it farther back would be an improvement overall, since at other times I sit quite forward on it. But I’d like to have the freedom to experiment.

Trouble is, I like the look and quality of the Ritchey, and it was quite expensive.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Any ideas for something with, say, 35 mm of setback?

It seems hardly worth it to try a seatpost with just 5 mm more setback than my current Ritchey Classic, since the purpose of this is experimentation, not achieving a precise, known position.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Samuel D wrote:Any ideas for something with, say, 35 mm of setback?

It seems hardly worth it to try a seatpost with just 5 mm more setback than my current Ritchey Classic, since the purpose of this is experimentation, not achieving a precise, known position.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts/ ... -x-272-mm/

Choose yer layback :wink:
W H Auden
531colin

Post by 531colin »

update the planet X post is still working....now with a different saddle, on another bike.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Samuel D wrote:Does anyone know how much layback/setback the Dia-compe Gran Compe seatpost mentioned by Bensons on page 1 has? I guess it’s this one.

The Velo Orange / Holdsworth seatpost appears to have 30.2 mm of setback. That’s only 5.2 mm more than my Ritchey Classic.

With my new Brooks Cambium C17 saddle, I sometimes feel I’m sitting too far back on it. I’m not sure having it farther back would be an improvement overall, since at other times I sit quite forward on it. But I’d like to have the freedom to experiment.

Trouble is, I like the look and quality of the Ritchey, and it was quite expensive.

I'm not sure the different manufacturers measure "layback" the same way,,,,,,,,,
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

531colin wrote:I'm not sure the different manufacturers measure "layback" the same way,,,,,,,,,

I think you’re right. Also, laybacks measured from the centre of the post to the centre of the clamp are only comparable if the clamp lengths are the same. And clamp lengths seem to vary between seatposts…

At any rate, I increased my crank length by 2.5 mm (as part of a chainset experiment with several simultaneous variables!), and this seems to have relieved my feeling of wanting to sit farther back. I guess that’s because the more forward pedal offers more leverage for supporting my upper torso? Not sure why, precisely, but my whole pedalling action and weight balance feels slightly different with the longer cranks. I’ll leave the seatpost alone for now.

On a hilly 100 km ride yesterday I had slight discomfort in my right knee (outer surface), but I think that’s related to breaking out the winter boots with cleats probably in a slightly different place.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Distance (along the saddle rail) from the front of the saddle cradle to the extended centreline of the seatpost would be good, but even then you would need to specify a seat tube angle. :roll:
Its not going to happen, is it?
Nothing like changing several things at once for a bit of excitement, is there?..... :wink:
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Apologies for the thread reawakening but I have a question. What is the layback of the planet x seat post?

Thanks

Chris
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
531colin

Post by 531colin »

fatboy wrote:Apologies for the thread reawakening but I have a question. What is the layback of the planet x seat post?

Thanks

Chris

If you follow Samuel's links (above) the "new" Velo Orange seatpost is quoted with a layback of 30.2mm (that last 0.2mm is critical, obviously)
But there are caveats.......
The first and most obvious, is that the planet X "Holdsworth" seatpost appears to be identical to the new VO post.
Second, Velo Orange haven't updated the blurb since the original seatpostpost https://www.roadbikerider.com/product-reviews/stuff-that-goes-on-bikes/components/1119-velo-orange-grand-cru-seat-post, and i think the new one has less setback than the old one.
Third....as above....how the heck are they measuring setback?....For example, the new VO post has a longer seat clamp than the old one. So if you measure setback from post centre to clamp centre, the 2 posts can have the same measured "setback", but my saddle will go further back in the shorter clamp of the old post.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Colin,

Thanks for that. Might get the planet x one for my road bike.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly