Alternative to Jones H bar ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
vilhu

Re: Alternative to Jones H bar ?

Post by vilhu »

On-One Geoff - Is the grip area diameter 22.2 cm i.e. suitable for MTB levers?

This information is missing on the web page and I am a bit of new with bikes but modifying my old 26 MTB for touring / hybrid.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

I'm now running with a Ritchey COMP KYOTE bar, wide but super comfey 35mm rise 27 degree sweep.
Also got Ergon GC1 grips for swept bars, these provide my with a nice platform for riding mixed trails in my area
Image032 by Pedro, on Flickr

Riding these on a Surly Karate Monkey rigid fork on my Cube Attention SL for cycle touring on and off road UK
Pete... I think
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

vilhu wrote:On-One Geoff - Is the grip area diameter 22.2 cm i.e. suitable for MTB levers?

This information is missing on the web page and I am a bit of new with bikes but modifying my old 26 MTB for touring / hybrid.

Yes it's 22.2mm suitable for MTB levers.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Re. the bullbars I was talking about on the previous page, here are the first set I have made...

ImageIMG_5137 by 531colin, on Flickr

I have bought a longitude frame, but not done anything with it yet! I calculate that it will be fine with a very short stem and bullbars like the ones illustrated. The other option, of course, is to put the (front to back) grips behind the transverse bar; but that would require an un-feasibly long stem to get my hands in front of the headset, which is where I want them.
Stuff about the tube joining here....https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49335&start=15
hemo

Post by hemo »

vilhu wrote:On-One Geoff - Is the grip area diameter 22.2 cm i.e. suitable for MTB levers?

Yes, though cabling made need replacing due to the extra width and sweep.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Did you ever come across Koga Denham bars.

https://www.cyclingabout.com/koga-denham-bars/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hemo wrote:

The brake and gear levers aren't set any wider than a standard 610 or 660mm handlebar if they're positioned correctly close to but not touching the welds of the loop section
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

freeflow wrote:Did you ever come across Koga Denham bars.

https://www.cyclingabout.com/koga-denham-bars/

I've followed some of the 'inventer's' South American tours,the 'bars work for him but the back sweep @ 34 degreess isn't enough for me.
Having tried a couple of handle bars with similar 34 degree back sweep I found they hurt my arthritic joints at the base of my thumbs and aggravated my carpal tunnel syndrome.
The 45 degree sweep of the Geoff bars when set up and angled correctly,the hands are at more natural angle with pressure evenly distributed across the whole of the palms of the hands :)
W H Auden
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I'm not there yet but I can see it (arthritis) peeping over the horizon, so your observations are noted and squirreled away for future review.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

freeflow wrote:I'm not there yet but I can see it (arthritis) peeping over the horizon, so your observations are noted and squirreled away for future review.

If you're looking for a flat bar with a back sweep I can thoroughly recommend the PX Geoff bars,great control on and off road with many super comfy hand positions :D
Or if you don't fancy the loop section PX Mike bars have the same back sweep.
And both 'bars are very affordable.
W H Auden
vilhu

Post by vilhu »

reohn2 wrote:
hemo wrote:

The brake and gear levers aren't set any wider than a standard 610 or 660mm handlebar if they're positioned correctly close to but not touching the welds of the loop section

Many thanks for quick replys. I am trying to this with a limited budget and skills without new cabling. The bar itself is cheap but the international shipping costs extra and its an old bike which I am modifying so I dont want to spend "too much" money in it. I think my current bar is almost 700mm but does anyone have measurements how wide the welds are so that I could be sure that I can use my current cables.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

vilhu wrote: ..........does anyone have measurements how wide the welds are so that I could be sure that I can use my current cables.

The outer edges of the welds are 400mm wide and the grip areas are 210mm long.
W H Auden
vilhu

Post by vilhu »

Still asking more questions. Can I fit a drop bar like On-One Brian to my MTB and use the current brake and gear levers? The clamp size is right but the diameters of the grip area are missing. As a beginner in bike repairing/modication I dont understand why there are no detailede mesurements.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

vilhu wrote:Still asking more questions. Can I fit a drop bar like On-One Brian to my MTB and use the current brake and gear levers? The clamp size is right but the diameters of the grip area are missing. As a beginner in bike repairing/modication I dont understand why there are no detailede mesurements.

The Brians are for dropbar(road)brake and gear levers which are a larger diameter than flat MTB handlebars.
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

vilhu wrote:As a beginner in bike repairing/modication I dont understand why there are no detailede mesurements.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com is a good website for that sort of information, i.e.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-handlebars.html