How the spirit of cycling has changed

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Post by horizon »

[XAP]Bob wrote:What kind of adventure might I be missing?

A tandem ride?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

mjr wrote:
Geoff.D wrote:Alternatively, you might be missing the excitement of the 19th hole after a good round. :twisted: ? (which also requires a good divorce lawyer, I believe).

:eek: I think "19th hole" is a slang term for the club bar and not what that's suggesting, isn't it? :lol:

I know my golfing terms, mjr. But I've no objection to you interpreting it otherwise. For the purposes of replying to Bob's questions, either will do, I guess. Either way, he might end up with a convenient loss of memory, and the need of his solicitor's phone number. :roll:
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

When that different way becomes all pervasive, shouts at us louder and louder and finally eclipses within our culture what for us perhaps is the joy of cycling, then yes. it causes a certain regret and disenchantment. This is what the writer was getting at. And if the kind of cycling that is dominant today isn't your kind of cycling it can be hard explaining to other people just how pervasive the promotion and representation of the new cycling actually is.

Nicely put Horizon.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
pwa

Post by pwa »

On one of my usual routes through the lanes (25 miles or so) a few weeks ago I rode alongside a bloke on a carbon racer for several miles. He had all the gear, but he was thoroughly pleasant company and I was sorry when our paths went in different directions.
cooper_coleraine

Post by cooper_coleraine »

For myself as a cycle tourist the biggest change has been the loss of the old YHA network of hostels with the requirement to arrive on foot or by bike. There was great comraderie in hostels as we shared the cooking facilities and undertook a little job before we left.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

cooper_coleraine wrote:For myself as a cycle tourist the biggest change has been the loss of the old YHA network of hostels with the requirement to arrive on foot or by bike. There was great comraderie in hostels as we shared the cooking facilities and undertook a little job before we left.

+1
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

pedalsheep wrote:
When that different way becomes all pervasive, shouts at us louder and louder and finally eclipses within our culture what for us perhaps is the joy of cycling, then yes. it causes a certain regret and disenchantment. This is what the writer was getting at. And if the kind of cycling that is dominant today isn't your kind of cycling it can be hard explaining to other people just how pervasive the promotion and representation of the new cycling actually is.

Nicely put Horizon.

+1 (or should that be +2?)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

Different strokes for different folks.. I used a GPS fitness app for a bit when I got back into cycling about 2 years ago, it was interesting for a while, but found eventually I'd rather just ride.

No more thinking to myself that I was slower than my personal best due to headwind /wet/dog got in the way/didn't check tyre pressure properly before setting off /forgot to pause the app/auto pause didn't kick in quick enough.. Bleaegh..! :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:I love the amazing things you see whilst out and about, I saw some ostriches on Sunday.

Stopped and had a gander ( so to speak ), who knew they made a noise similar to a bongo being struck.

We've got some near by(what's good for the Goose,as they say).
Next time you go take a bongo drum with you and give it a good beating.
They go mad :shock: :wink:

That's the way to do it,
Banging on the bongos like a Chimpanzee,
That ain't working,that's the way to do it......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cycleruk wrote:
colin54 wrote:I love the amazing things you see whilst out and about, I saw some ostriches on Sunday.
Good luck to 'em.

I think that's an Emu. :wink:

E,a thouwt it were uh cow
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:I bow to your superior knowledge, lucky I never attempted to make a laboured joke about Ostriches, cyclists and sandy conditions.

Gritty humour is that :wink:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:I don't even know exacly what Strava is.........

It's people Staving to go fast than anyone else :roll:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fastpedaller wrote:What's GPS?

Go Past(other)Stava's
W H Auden
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Samuel D wrote:This is an ostrich.

Whilst that is quite funny, something carrying a camera was chasing the ostrich, so the bird rather than chasing the two cyclist we can see, could have been running away from something.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

iainb wrote:Certainly less cameraderie than there used to be in NE Essex.......

I thought the ladies were s'posed to be friendly enough :oops:
W H Auden