How the spirit of cycling has changed

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
User avatar
jezer
Posts: 1557
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 5:16pm
Location: North Wiltshire

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby jezer » 16 Apr 2016, 11:05am

Maybe indoor bowls is the way to go? Gosh, I can't believe I just said that. This morning's puncture has clouded my view, lol.
Power to the pedals

nirakaro
Posts: 1187
Joined: 22 Dec 2007, 2:01am

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby nirakaro » 16 Apr 2016, 11:09am

If my memory serves me aright, you have to spend quite a bit of time practising on the double tops before you proceed to the bullseye.

Geoff.D
Posts: 1959
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 9:20pm

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby Geoff.D » 16 Apr 2016, 2:47pm

nirakaro wrote:If my memory serves me aright, you have to spend quite a bit of time practising on the double tops before you proceed to the bullseye.


:D :D

lingy
Posts: 53
Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 5:22pm

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby lingy » 16 Apr 2016, 8:19pm

Amongst the humour methinks there was a little bit of intolerance in some of these comments? The guys and gals on sleek carbon road bikes do kind of have a different focus...sport, speed, fitness. But the touring focus of a more moderate speed, travel, more interest in the surroundings and multi-day rides is just a variation on the cycling theme. Like a commuter on a heavy town bike or a student heading off to the hills with his MTB in the back... We are all in the same movement aren't we? I see quite a lot of fellowship and fun amoung the roadies comparing their Strava segments in the cafes... More cyclists of all types on the roads (and trails) is better especially when remembering the bad old days when hardly anyone cycled.


I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6703
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby Sweep » 16 Apr 2016, 8:36pm

I suppose the problem lingy is when folk start bragging about the material. Echoes of sales reps concerned about their company car having the extra stripe or mysterious suffix. I also well remember, and this was rather a lot of years ago, someone on a ride i was leading (or guiding, shepherding, facilitating, massaging, fondling or whatever term is favoured by someone above) making a point of telling me that their new "drive train" had cost £400. I well remember thinking: why, and why anyway did it all need doing at once. Also, to be honest, why - for goodness sake - was he even telling me this?
Last edited by Graham on 16 Apr 2016, 8:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tsk naughty.
Sweep

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 10229
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby horizon » 16 Apr 2016, 9:39pm

lingy wrote: The guys and gals on sleek carbon road bikes do kind of have a different focus...sport, speed, fitness. But the touring focus of a more moderate speed, travel, more interest in the surroundings and multi-day rides is just a variation on the cycling theme.


I think the author of the article was suggesting that it isn't just a different focus on cycling - it's a different focus on life.

That's a very personal point of view, not one you could prove or justify. But he's still saying, look there's something missing, something not quite right. In the general scheme of things you are right - it's all cycling. But when you dig deeper, he thinks that they, we and society at large are missing out. It's just a rueful commentary on a social observation and gets nods heading in agreement on here. I think he has a point: where you go with it I haven't a clue. I had a great day out today exploring south Devon, the world around me was my focus not my performance. I'm sure I'm fitter for it (the hills in that area are hardly negligible). And if someone else had a good ride with different goals in mind, that's OK too. As long as they don't wear sunglasses. :lol:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

reohn2
Posts: 40129
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby reohn2 » 17 Apr 2016, 10:41am

lingy wrote:Amongst the humour methinks there was a little bit of intolerance in some of these comments? The guys and gals on sleek carbon road bikes do kind of have a different focus...sport, speed, fitness. But the touring focus of a more moderate speed, travel, more interest in the surroundings and multi-day rides is just a variation on the cycling theme. Like a commuter on a heavy town bike or a student heading off to the hills with his MTB in the back... We are all in the same movement aren't we? I see quite a lot of fellowship and fun amoung the roadies comparing their Strava segments in the cafes... More cyclists of all types on the roads (and trails) is better especially when remembering the bad old days when hardly anyone cycled.


I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels


+1
TBH there's a snob element,inverted or otherwise,in cycling as there is in society in general IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------

reohn2
Posts: 40129
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby reohn2 » 17 Apr 2016, 10:44am

horizon wrote:
lingy wrote: The guys and gals on sleek carbon road bikes do kind of have a different focus...sport, speed, fitness. But the touring focus of a more moderate speed, travel, more interest in the surroundings and multi-day rides is just a variation on the cycling theme.


I think the author of the article was suggesting that it isn't just a different focus on cycling - it's a different focus on life.

That's a very personal point of view, not one you could prove or justify. But he's still saying, look there's something missing, something not quite right. In the general scheme of things you are right - it's all cycling. But when you dig deeper, he thinks that they, we and society at large are missing out. It's just a rueful commentary on a social observation and gets nods heading in agreement on here. I think he has a point: where you go with it I haven't a clue. I had a great day out today exploring south Devon, the world around me was my focus not my performance. I'm sure I'm fitter for it (the hills in that area are hardly negligible). And if someone else had a good ride with different goals in mind, that's OK too. As long as they don't wear sunglasses. :lol:

I always wear sunglasses,infact I have a selection to choose from 8) :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 10229
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby horizon » 17 Apr 2016, 11:36am

reohn2 wrote:I always wear sunglasses,infact I have a selection to choose from 8) :wink:


Lots of people have sunglasses - it's how you wear them that counts :wink: .
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Samuel D
Posts: 3075
Joined: 8 Mar 2015, 11:05pm
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby Samuel D » 17 Apr 2016, 11:59am

Chiefly, not on a bike!

User avatar
DaveP
Posts: 3333
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 4:20pm
Location: W Mids

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby DaveP » 17 Apr 2016, 12:14pm

horizon wrote:I think the author of the article was suggesting that it isn't just a different focus on cycling - it's a different focus on life.

That's a very personal point of view, not one you could prove or justify. But he's still saying, look there's something missing, something not quite right. In the general scheme of things you are right - it's all cycling. But when you dig deeper, he thinks that they, we and society at large are missing out. It's just a rueful commentary on a social observation

I'm inclined to agree with that. Some non workplace activities are classified as Sport, with clubs, leagues, pressure groups, sometimes grants and last, but far from least, scores. Engaging in these activities is, within limits, seen as an acceptable use of a persons time because it's healthy, important and even perhaps socially useful inasmuch as non participants often seem to be quite happy to spend their leisure time discussing said results.
Less regimented activities, such as jumping on your bike and heading off for a day of exercise, fresh air and spiritually uplifting views just don't get seen in the same way, even though we all understand and are willing to explain their value and even though the the medical professions throw their weight behind it.
The quality of an activity doesn't seem to be as important as it's ability to yield numbers, which can then be tabulated and talked about ad nauseam. Produce some sort of score and you've been doing significant and manly stuff. OTH no score - you've been playing. Frittering your time away. Unreasonable to expect proper adults to take an interest.
Personally I have no objection whatever to cyclists in training taking a detailed interest in their own performance or discussing it with like minded souls. Strava seems to be ideal for the purpose. I just think it's sad that so many seem unable to see any other form of satisfaction to be had from their wheels - "Go for a ride and Not try for a personal best - You kidding me?"

I used the term "manly" on purpose. I suspect that women may well have different views. I would be more than happy to read them...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!

reohn2
Posts: 40129
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby reohn2 » 17 Apr 2016, 12:16pm

horizon wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I always wear sunglasses,infact I have a selection to choose from 8) :wink:


Lots of people have sunglasses - it's how you wear them that counts :wink: .


Mostly on my face :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------

reohn2
Posts: 40129
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby reohn2 » 17 Apr 2016, 12:17pm

Samuel D wrote:Chiefly, not on a bike!


Why's that then? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Vantage
Posts: 2814
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 1:44pm
Location: somewhere in Bolton
Contact:

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby Vantage » 17 Apr 2016, 12:22pm

Wot he said^^^

My prescription glasses are those reactolight things and go almost black in bright sunshine. Sunglasses in that respect can't be helped :?
Bill


“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 10229
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: How the spirit of cycling has changed

Postby horizon » 17 Apr 2016, 12:30pm

Vantage wrote:Wot he said^^^

My prescription glasses are those reactolight things and go almost black in bright sunshine. Sunglasses in that respect can't be helped :?


Don't worry Vantage, it's not the sunglasses per se, it's what comes with them . . .
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher