Bicycle pump.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Drake

Bicycle pump.

Postby Drake » 3 May 2016, 10:36am

I've always considered bicycle pumps that you carry on your bike, more as a get you home tool, nothing more than that.
More than likely I'm the same as everybody else and have a reasonable pump at home for weekly tyre checks . . in my case a foot pump.
But about 4-5yrs ago, I bought a Topeak "pocket rocket" from Halfords (no Halfords jokes please :D). Wasn't cheap, about £15, but Topeak seemed to be of reasonable quality.
But to be honest, i've not been impressed with it. In fact the p.F visited m today on a early morning ride. No probs, I thought, got spare tube, puncture outfit and pump . . but how wrong was I !
Pump started to put air in tyre, but then packed up. Got just enough air in to get me home.
So what's a reasonable small compact pump that you've found to be reliable. One that when you use it . . WORKS.
If it helps, it would be used on an mtb, so I wouldn't run at high psi
As long as I could get to about 40 - 45 psi, it would be adequate.
Manythanks in advance.

pwa

Re: Bicycle pump.

Postby pwa » 3 May 2016, 11:28am

Topeak do make some good pumps, but the Pocket Rocket is not one of them. I've got two, but they are hard work. Get a mini pump that acts like a floor pump, with one end sitting on the ground while you press down on it. Because you are pushing down against the ground, you are not pushing against your other hand and the effort is virtually halved. There are several brands, including Topeak and Lezyne.

Drake

Postby Drake » 3 May 2016, 11:40am

pwa wrote:Topeak do make some good pumps, but the Pocket Rocket is not one of them. I've got two, but they are hard work. Get a mini pump that acts like a floor pump, with one end sitting on the ground while you press down on it. Because you are pushing down against the ground, you are not pushing against your other hand and the effort is virtually halved. There are several brands, including Topeak and Lezyne.

It wasn't so much the hard work when using this type of pump, that I've always expected. It was the fact that it packed up putting air into the tyre.
Not impressed . . not impressed at all.

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 3 May 2016, 11:42am

But in what way did it pack up?

I have a Lezyne Road Drive (in the largest size, which weighs only 110 g but is 283 mm long). It works well.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 3 May 2016, 11:45am

I have the mt morph by Topeak - one such "floor" pumps.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/MountainMorph

is 35cm long and feels very sturdy.

it comes with a frame "grip" that attaches to the water bottle to carry it

I have nt had to use it in the field yet but tried it at home and got to atleast 80psi ( a bit more than the max my tyres should take). Is quite a high volume pump than many so dont take too long to do its job
Last edited by mercalia on 3 May 2016, 12:02pm, edited 2 times in total.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 3 May 2016, 11:46am

Topeak mountain morph.
....Its the one they all borrow!
.....Oh! snap!

pwa

Postby pwa » 3 May 2016, 11:47am

Drake wrote:
pwa wrote:Topeak do make some good pumps, but the Pocket Rocket is not one of them. I've got two, but they are hard work. Get a mini pump that acts like a floor pump, with one end sitting on the ground while you press down on it. Because you are pushing down against the ground, you are not pushing against your other hand and the effort is virtually halved. There are several brands, including Topeak and Lezyne.

It wasn't so much the hard work when using this type of pump, that I've always expected. It was the fact that it packed up putting air into the tyre.
Not impressed . . not impressed at all.

I once experimented with a Pocket Rocket and got a road tyre up to about 100psi, but it was very hard work and i would not want to repeat it. Honestly, pay a little more (£30 should do it if you shop around) and get one that sits on the ground. It will be bigger than the Pocket Rocket, and heavier, but it will work. If you have a bag, put it in that rather than on a frame bracket.

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 3 May 2016, 2:48pm

NUKe

hamster

Postby hamster » 3 May 2016, 2:49pm

Blackburn for me! They even sell spares. 8)

meic

Postby meic » 3 May 2016, 2:57pm

I had a Blackburn Airstick pump mounted behind a bottlecage and first time that I came to use it, it wouldnt do the job and it still wouldnt after fitting a repair kit because the bore was scored or otherwise ruined.

If a pump is left fitted to the exterior of the bike, it still needs servicing and cleaning even (or especially) if it isnt getting used. Mine now live mostly inside of panniers etc but when outside they get all sealed up with insulation tape.
Yma o Hyd

Drake

Postby Drake » 3 May 2016, 8:05pm

Samuel D wrote:But in what way did it pack up?

I have a Lezyne Road Drive (in the largest size, which weighs only 110 g but is 283 mm long). It works well.

When I got home, I checked psi, it was about 15psi.
When pumping there was a sudden loss of resistance, just as though a seal or valve had blown.
Can't see the point of carrying a spare tube or puncture outfit if the pump doesn't work.

scottg

Postby scottg » 3 May 2016, 8:14pm

Mini-pumps lie about physics, little tiny barrel = nano gobbets of air into the tube*.

*Except for the amazing Topeak Tardis Airstick w/sonic hex driver,
out of stock at Halfords since 2042.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 3 May 2016, 9:34pm

https://www.evanscycles.com/bontrager-m ... p-EV200655

Best pump I've ever had the pleasure of using.
I had a Topeak Road Morph once. It was crap. The Bontrager is built waaaaaaaaaay better imo. It's one issue that I have is that the frame mounting bracket isn't the best thought out out there. When fitted to a bottle cage boss, there's no way to fit a bottle cage, so mine lives in the Pendle where it's nice and dry and safe :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 3 May 2016, 10:13pm

Drake wrote:
Samuel D wrote:But in what way did it pack up?

When pumping there was a sudden loss of resistance, just as though a seal or valve had blown.
Can't see the point of carrying a spare tube or puncture outfit if the pump doesn't work.

If you're lucky in that you go a long time between punctures, it is always wise to check your puncture kit for 'function', e.g. is the patch glue still 'liquid', are the patches still 'fresh' (rather than eons old :P ) and.....and... check the pump still pumps! The pump can get block orifices if frame mounted, and yes, seals that rely on oil to stay functional can dry out. All of the above have happened to me at various times but in all cases I've discovered the shortcomings before having to rely on fixing a puncture :o
Last edited by bikes4two on 3 May 2016, 11:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

drossall

Postby drossall » 3 May 2016, 10:31pm

I've had my Pocket Rocket for years. It's been fine. Doesn't get used too much - as the OP says, it's a get-you-home device for the occasional puncture.