EV15 on a trike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
skelo

EV15 on a trike

Post by skelo »

I am looking for a bit of advice from anyone who knows the EV 15 Rhine Route. I am a disabled cyclist on a recumbent trike. i am hoping to attempt to cycle from Europoort to Basel(very slowly!)following a stroke i only have use of one arm/hand i have only about 10% use of my left leg and can only walk short distances. i am a bit worried about any steps/gates/barriers i might encounter en-route. i can just about do most of the offset barriers i have encountered on uk cycle paths. I have looked at the Holland section on stretview which looks OK as long as i am able to get on a couple of small ferries across the rhine/lek/waal. but there seems to be no street view in germany.

If anyone who has cycled this has the time to give me a bit of advice it would be greatly appreciated. I am not going to let a stroke get in the way of my mid-life crisis!
Vorpal

Re: EV15 on a trike

Post by Vorpal »

These folks have done part of it http://www.wittmacher.com/Rolli_Touren.htm

Sorry it's in German, but you can stick it in a translator like Google Translate.

There is some information on barrier free travel in the area (but not specifically EV15) here http://www.gastlandschaften.de/urlaubst ... es-reisen/

Unfortunately they don't seem to have the barrier free travel information in English, but I would try using their contact form. http://www.gastlandschaften.de/urlaubsm ... e/kontakt/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The only part I've used, and this is 17 years ago, is the part between about Mulhouse and Basel, -- in fact I used it only as far as Huningue a couple of miles from Basel because that was roughly where I lived and so picked up the route. It is (or was) a canal side path with a firm surface which I could ride briskly on my touring bike. I do not recall any barriers on that section, and as a tricyclist myself it is the sort of thing I would notice. My overriding memory if of the day I left Basel to return to the UK. It was in May, a sping day with lots of spring flowers, all the duvets hanging out of bedroom windows, a peaceful path until I got to the triangular division of waterways near Mulhouse when I was assailed by a cacophony of the frogs in the reeds all shouting at each other. Fantastic. Basel is riddled with tram tracks which are very awkward on a trike, so take care.
skelo

Post by skelo »

thanks guys, much appreciated. good training ride in the sunshine today taking in York's very few hills
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

I've not got a trike but have cycled the section of EV15 from Basel to about 30 km north. No problem. It's a shale track, well maintained. My wife and I live close by in France and work in Basel (the canal d'Huningue is often a part of my extended commute to work).

Non-standard HPVs are popular in Germany. I've a recumbent, the two of us a Hase Pino and we're thinking of trikes to handle more off road stuff (including the Rhine and canal paths). We bought our various eccentric offerings at Radieschen in Freiburg. Given their popularity I suspect that EV15 will be little problem. You could give Radieschen a call - they speak quite reasonable English and could offer advice for the region, or point you to someone else who does, or to other resources.
skelo

Post by skelo »

thanks, sounds encouraging. i am on a Hase Kettweisel, with my disability i struggle with serious hills so thinking of reluctantly retrofitting a Heinzmann electric motor to make sure i get there, and hopefully beyond....
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

Sounds really interesting - please, let us know how you get on.

My wife and I had a go on the Protanium powered version of the Kett when we went to the Eurobike exhibition in Germany - absolutely superb. We wanted to know how the motor felt before we retro-fitted one to our Hase Pino. It pulls the two of us up hills rather well giving much needed support to osteoarthritic knees. On the flat we've done over 70 km in low power mode and had power in reserve for the final hill before home. But use full power on double digit hills and we can run the battery down in less than 20 km. From what we've heard the Heinzmann is better still (search Heinzmann on the pinotalk google group for some interesting views).

EV15 is part of my retirement dream. EV6 to the Atlantic then EV1 to Brittany, Ireland and Scotland, EV12 south to pick up a ferry and return to Basel on EV15. A few more years...
skelo

Post by skelo »

thanks Lodge
your experience with a motor is really interesting. the first time i have heard any 'real' experience of what to expect in terms of range etc. I haven't been able to get any 'concrete' idea of range for an electric assist so i am 'taking a punt' and have now ordered a Heinzmann, which i hope will be fitted in the next few weeks, hoping to test it out in the Yorkshire Dales/Moors in August to get an accurate idea of range/speed on 'varied' topography. I will post the results.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

If you want another opinion on the Heinzmann have a look at Chris Rust's blog https://sevenleagueboots.wordpress.com/ ... em-part-3/ . They have a Heinzmann fitted to their Hase Pino. Hauling two people is a serious test of a 250 W motor system. Not perfect, but it seems to do the job pretty well (as does our Protanium front wheel motor). A solo trike should either fly, or go a long way if the power is kept on a low level.

We're also looking at e-trikes with off-road capability. Sue and I tried the ICE Full Fat and Hase Kettwiesel Kross earlier in the week. The ICE had a Bafang bottom bracket 250 W motor which pulled very well. Unfortunately I wasn't happy with the handling of the Full Fat; it felt distinctly unstable on the balloon tyres, bouncing from bump to bump. The Kett Kross (without motor) was superb - very stable, tighter turning circle, no slipping going up steep grassy slopes, braking in a stable way downhill (unlike the taller Full Fat which uses front brakes only in normal use, the rear is for parking). I really wanted to try the Shimano STEPS version of the Kett, but unfortunately the shop didn't have a working one. From what we've read it's very like the Bosch Sue has on her solo bike.