Mull, Isle of

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Garry Booth

Mull, Isle of

Post by Garry Booth »

Heading to Mull at the end of this week with bikes attached to the car. Staying at the north end. Any tips from people welcome. G
Lance Dopestrong

Re: Mull, Isle of

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Insect repellent if you're the kind with sweet tasting blood. It's approaching Mossie season in the inner hebs.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Went there a couple of years ago, wonderful place to cycle.

The distances are quite long and roads are few, almost entirely single track.

There's really only two circular routes possible, round the North of the island and round the south. The northern one is significantly harder (lots of smallish climbs).

The road to Iona is briefly busy with coaches when the ferry drops off in the morning.

Enjoy!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Watch out for sheep on the roads. Rule of thumb: if there are a few on one side of the road only, they'll probably stay there, but if they are on both sides, they are likely to cross over just in front of you.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

No specific advice, just very envious. Must dig out the photo albums for a trip down memory lane.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

If your accommodation isn't fixed I would recommend going to Iona on the last ferry and spending the night at the hostel. That way you avoid the coach loads of day trippers and can enjoy the peace and serenity of the island.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Pick a fine day and take the ferry from Tobermory to Kilchoan and then ride out to the lighthouse on Ardnamurchan.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

All been said really. I find the north end circuit easier in clockwise direction. Different gradients I think. There are lots of off road tracks doable with care on a road bike. Look out for ferry times as a rush of traffic then. Just stop and let it all get past. Use passing places to let traffic overtake and with practice this becomes easy. A mirror is useful.
I will be off on mainland cycling for next couple of weeks but go to Calmac office in Tob. which doubles as a tourist office and ask for Jim. His off road routes have in the past been better with a wet suit. One ended up swimming in a river. Better not ask why. There are longish distances between food stops sometimes. Not sure what is open when this year so carry some food and drink.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Went there last year. Rode from Craignure to Ffionphort, then caught the Iona ferry. We were supposed to be staying at the hostel but we were double booked and couldn't get in. Ended up staying at a Catholic Pilgrims Retreat. The road to Ffionphort is quite busy and it's a bit of a pain having to pull in to the passing places to let the traffic through. Next day we rode back to Pennyghael then climbed over on to the north coast of the Ross of Mull. This road is absolutely delightful, quite remote and with hardly any traffic. Lunch at Salen then an afternoon ride to Tobermory.

We caught the ferry to Kilchoan but it was bucketing down, so didn't bother with the ride to lighthouse.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Another option from Tobermory is to take the Kilchoan ferry at 0725 or 0930 from Tob. and do the circuit round by Salen and Strontian to Lochaline where the last summertime ferry is at 1835 on weekdays. This is all single track but the Lochaline ferry has been suffering traffic loss since the advent of RET on the Oban route so traffic on this section should be light. Watch out for timber lorries they only give way to something bigger than themselves. The high fare on Ardgour to Corran makes this an unattractive option for local traffic. There are the usual bursts of traffic from any ferry. This is just over 70 odd miles as I remember and a bit undulating for the less than fully fit. If you miss the last ferry you may be lucky and get a bed in Lochaline for the night.
I have done this run as have other local cyclists but last time was about 5 years ago on my part.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

I'm in the NW Highands at the moment and there are not many midges around at the moment though the rain, forecast from today, is likely to change that. You can get the midge forecast here: https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/ though the forecast has not yet started for this year.

The northern circuit of Mull is easier in an anti-clockwise direction and not too taxing, unless you do it into the teeth of a Force 7-8 gale as I did last year :shock:, and is a lovely route. I highly recommend a visit to Iona and the abbey if you have the time.

Enjoy
hercule

Post by hercule »

No midges north of Ullapool last week, but it was snowing and wind speeds were well above midge levels :shock:

I've found the midges in Mull worse than many places, it's all the wet bogs. The north end is very nice it cycle in. The south and far west is mostly single track that you have to come back the same way on. If you do wander down that way I recommend a side trip to Carsaig for that end of the world feeling, but the hill is very steep, esp on the return trip!

If the cars start coming, best approach esp near the ferry terminals is to pull off and wait a bit, it's likely they've just come off the boat and the road will be deserted after 5 mins.
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

That's really helpful everyone and very much appreciated. We're staying in the NW so it looks like we're in the right place. Midge-wise I am packing Avon Skin So Soft as it is said to be an effective repellent. Not sure I will need it as the weather forecast doesn't favour midges (or cyclists come to that... ) Thanks again for the feedback. Garry
hercule

Post by hercule »

Smidge is another midge repellant, supposed to be developed specifically for Scottish midges, you will be able to buy it in the highlands but I'm not sure if it is sold in retail shops further afield. Last time I tried Avon it seemed only to egg the midges on. Really the only sure alternative is full body cover including a midge net. At least midges can't fly at cycling speeds!
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Garry Booth wrote:That's really helpful everyone and very much appreciated. We're staying in the NW so it looks like we're in the right place. Midge-wise I am packing Avon Skin So Soft as it is said to be an effective repellent. Not sure I will need it as the weather forecast doesn't favour midges (or cyclists come to that... ) Thanks again for the feedback. Garry

The old Avon skin so soft worked a treat , but a couple of years back they changed it and it's no longer effective against midges ! Never cycles in Mull myself , but can highly recommend the book ' Cycling in the Hebrides ' by Richard Barrett ( cicerone press) , tons of useful advice for cycling in any of the western Isles.