how long a 10,000mAh smart phone battery will last?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
freeflow

Re: how long a 10,000mAh smart phone battery will last?

Post by freeflow »

If you are away touring would you also want to use your phone as a Kindle and/or plan routes on it?
niggle

Post by niggle »

freeflow wrote:If you are away touring would you also want to use your phone as a Kindle and/or plan routes on it?

Definitely want to plan or at least check or change routes, and the Kindle idea is a good one.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

For kindle you'll probably want to consider a screen resolution of 1920x1080 or thereabouts.

For tweaking routes you'll find taking a small blue tooth mouse saves a lot of aggravation.

Trying out both before you go, particularly setting up kindle.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Heres my original post about the Moto E. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=102016&p=968338&hilit=Moto+E#p959540 It shows how I mount it on the stem in the cheapo case adapted with an old cycle computer mount. I have planned routes on it with cycle.travel and I have a Kindle App. I use the Kindle App quite often to read books on the phone in bed lying on my back. The phone is much lighter than a Kindle or a tablet. The only disadvantage I know of is that of heavy rain making the screen go crazy. I havent actually experienced that but if I did I would pop it under the transparent map cover in my bar bag. You can still operate the phone through the plastic. At £70 odd its a no brainer. I have a 12000 mAh battery. It would be quite easy to put that in the bar bag to give continuous power, but thats unecessary because the phone itself lasts so long. The screen and the camera on the Moto E arent the best but they are the best compromise out there that I have found. And, as a phone the speed and phone performance are top notch and better that the more expensive Moto G.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 20 May 2016, 1:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:
niggle wrote:I am considering this phone with a 10,000mAh (i.e.10Ah) battery:
No comments on the phone, but just checked my Samsung Galaxy S2 battery for comparison's sake.

6.11Wh = 6,110mAh ............. so yours will be 66% more capacity.

1 volt ?

Ian
niggle

Post by niggle »

freeflow wrote:a). What you want to use the phone for

b) Why you think you need such a large battery.

By the way, I think you also need to be clearer on large screen vs screen resolution. A large screen with 1280x720 resolution may not be as useful as a smaller screen with a 1920x1080 resolution.

Thanks again freeflow, I am thinking hard about this still and your three points are the key. I have come to realise that my priorities are camera quality and navigation ability, plus optimum size/screen (my current phone is 4.5" and certainly do not need or want to go much larger, but don't want less than 4") Battery size is much less important as there are the two solutions of external power pack or top up via dynamo light USB.This is leading me away from China and towards good quality used phones, e.g.:

1. Nokia Lumia 1020 with compact camera quality 41Mp camera, but not sure if suitable apps can be installed for the Windows 8 OS

2. Various more compact Sony Xperia models with sub 5" screen and 20+Mp cameras, which are Android so plenty of apps out there to play with, but hard to find used at prices as low as the Nokia.

Any other suggestions most welcome.

EDIT: just to add that current phone has 8Mp interpolated to 13Mp and is not really up to the job IMO, carrying a separate camera is something I am not very goods at, IME I have always left it at home when I want to take a photo, whereas my phone goes everywhere.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Vodafone are doing the xperia z3 compact for £150 (well plus the 10quid sim) currently.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
niggle

Post by niggle »

Stevek76 wrote:Vodafone are doing the xperia z3 compact for £150 (well plus the 10quid sim) currently.

Thanks, however I am a Giffgaff customer and plan to stay that way, so only want sim free or locked to O2 (Giffgaff use the O2 network so O2 locked phones work with a Giffgaff sim).
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Can't write too much as am on hols and using my Doogee DG700 as a phone/GPS device.

As a pure GPS device I get about 10hrs runtime with the screen on all the time and the GPS receiver on and that's from a 4000mAh battery.

I'm a keen advocate of using smartphones as GPS devices - for such a use I would only choose a phone that is IP rated waterproof and has user replaceable batteries (I have 3 for my DG700) and the screen needs to be daylight readable, The DG700 meets all those requirements.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
niggle

Post by niggle »

bikes4two wrote:Can't write too much as am on hols and using my Doogee DG700 as a phone/GPS device.

As a pure GPS device I get about 10hrs runtime with the screen on all the time and the GPS receiver on and that's from a 4000mAh battery.

I'm a keen advocate of using smartphones as GPS devices - for such a use I would only choose a phone that is IP rated waterproof and has user replaceable batteries (I have 3 for my DG700) and the screen needs to be daylight readable, The DG700 meets all those requirements.

I am interested in this phone, in may respects it looks good, but how good is the camera and I wonder about 3G connectivity as O2 use either 900MHz or 2100MHz depending on where you are and the Doogee only supports 2100MHz?
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Hi niggle, are you sure about the GSM bands used by the DG700? The GSM Arena review I just glanced at suggests it covers what you need? link

As for the camera quality, the few times I've used it, it's done the job and although I'm by no means a camera buff, I don't think the results aren't going to set the world on fire.

If you want some pics, PM me your email and I'll get some over to you.
niggle

Post by niggle »

bikes4two wrote:Hi niggle, are you sure about the GSM bands used by the DG700? The GSM Arena review I just glanced at suggests it covers what you need? link

As for the camera quality, the few times I've used it, it's done the job and although I'm by no means a camera buff, I don't think the results aren't going to set the world on fire.

If you want some pics, PM me your email and I'll get some over to you.

"Network Band: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz + WCDMA 850/1900/2100MHz"

GSM = 2G, WCDMA = 3G
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

niggle wrote:
GSM = 2G, WCDMA = 3G

Ah, gotcha, didn't know that - you learn something every day :)
niggle

Post by niggle »

bikes4two wrote:
niggle wrote:
GSM = 2G, WCDMA = 3G

Ah, gotcha, didn't know that - you learn something every day :)

Indeed you do, but tbh I don't know what the acronyms actually stand for.

Anyway I do not use 3G much at all, preferring to use free WiFi to download and upload as much as possible, and hope to store mapping data on the phone.

I have just ordered a "No. 1 M2" http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222025041026 which looks similar to the Doogee DG700 but has a 16Mp camera. It has the same 3G bands but as I said not a major issue for me.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

niggle wrote:
freeflow wrote:
EDIT: just to add that current phone has 8Mp interpolated to 13Mp and is not really up to the job IMO, carrying a separate camera is something I am not very goods at, IME I have always left it at home when I want to take a photo, whereas my phone goes everywhere.

A bit off topic, but don't get too worked up about the number of Mp in a phone camera, the lenses are soooo small and it's that that defines picture quality really. The Mp count is all marketing. A smartphone can take a reasonable 'snap' in decent daylight (if you don't need to zoom at all) but a 'proper' camera with a decent lens (e.g. my Lumix LF1, which I bought because of recommendations on other CTC threads) is so much better when the light is poor or I want something other than the default 'wide angle' of a phone camera.
Chris F, Cornwall