how long a 10,000mAh smart phone battery will last?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
niggle

how long a 10,000mAh smart phone battery will last?

Post by niggle »

I am considering this phone with a 10,000mAh (i.e.10Ah) battery:

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/01 ... 10000.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OUKITEL-K1000 ... SwfC9XOcED

which I thought might be of interest to others on here.

I have had motorcycles with smaller capacity batteries...

It looks quite tough as well- I do have a cheap Chinese smart phone at the moment, £50 from Ebay last year, which I have abused badly and now has a cracked screen, but still functions just fine. I am glad I did not buy a £600 top end mainstream phone, especially not on a contract that works out twice as much again like a lot people seem to do and have to keep paying out on it for another year or so...
Freddie

Re: how long a 10,000mAh smart phone battery will last?

Post by Freddie »

It really depends how you use it. Mobile internet, watching videos, playing games will all eat into the battery life. Smart phones can last anywhere from 16 hours to 2 or 3 days on a single charge.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Why?. If it because of the battery life away from charging points you'd do better withsomething like an Xperia 3 compact and an external battery pack for once a day charging.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

niggle wrote:I am considering this phone with a 10,000mAh (i.e.10Ah) battery:
No comments on the phone, but just checked my Samsung Galaxy S2 battery for comparison's sake.

6.11Wh = 6,110mAh ............. so yours will be 66% more capacity.
Mick F. Cornwall
niggle

Post by niggle »

Freddie wrote:It really depends how you use it. Mobile internet, watching videos, playing games will all eat into the battery life. Smart phones can last anywhere from 16 hours to 2 or 3 days on a single charge.

That is an average phone, this one is far and away above average in terms of battery capacity, it can even recharge other devices, allegedly it can recharge an Iphone 6 three times and still have 10% charge left...
niggle

Post by niggle »

freeflow wrote:Why?. If it because of the battery life away from charging points you'd do better withsomething like an Xperia 3 compact and an external battery pack for once a day charging.

So why pay twice as much to carry twice as many gadgets and have a smaller screen? What are the advantages of your suggestion?

The Sony is waterproof but a waterproof case is fairly easy and cheap to buy and even the Sony would need something to attach it to the bars (but if you don't want to attach to the bars then maybe the Sony makes more sense?)

As I said I am considering the Oukitel, mind definitely not made up yet so all suggestions are welcome.

So far my main alternative idea is to buy another cheap Chinese phone with a large screen and recharge on the go via a dynohub/lamp.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My Motorola Moto E 2nd generation phone cost £70. The battery is 2390 mAh. It lasts 4 to 5 days in normal use. Which magazine says it is the longest lasting phone out there beating £600 phones like iPhones and Samsung Galaxy 6.
I bought it because I wanted a phone that I could use with Osmand+ for navigation on the bike. Navigating with the gps on it lasts in excess of 6 hours with the screen on, shutting down 1 minute after a turn and switching on as you approach a turn.

The question you should be asking is how long does a phone battery last, not how big is the battery. My son has one of those cheapo Chinese jobs with a battery that is said to be 6000 mAh. It lasts only about 1 1/2 days! If you use a bar bag its easy to attach a seperate lithium battery to extend the life of your phone.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

So why pay twice as much to carry twice as many gadgets and have a smaller screen? What are the advantages of your suggestion?

Difficult to say as you still haven't said

a). What you want to use the phone for

b) Why you think you need such a large battery.

By the way, I think you also need to be clearer on large screen vs screen resolution. A large screen with 1280x720 resolution may not be as useful as a smaller screen with a 1920x1080 resolution.

I'd also recommend that if you are asking for advice you are less disparaging of the advice that you are given.
niggle

Post by niggle »

freeflow wrote:

Difficult to say as you still haven't said

a). What you want to use the phone for

b) Why you think you need such a large battery.

By the way, I think you also need to be clearer on large screen vs screen resolution. A large screen with 1280x720 resolution may not be as useful as a smaller screen with a 1920x1080 resolution.

I'd also recommend that if you are asking for advice you are less disparaging of the advice that you are given.

Sorry my comments came over in a way I did not intend- they were intended as straight questions. I probably should have said something like "What is the advantage of your suggestion as it does entail spending rather more and carrying twice as many items, which I would like to avoid?"

As for usage I want to do similar to Al-yrpal, i.e. navigate, and will not necessarily reach civilisation and charging points every night.
niggle

Post by niggle »

al_yrpal wrote:My Motorola Moto E 2nd generation phone cost £70. The battery is 2390 mAh. It lasts 4 to 5 days in normal use. Which magazine says it is the longest lasting phone out there beating £600 phones like iPhones and Samsung Galaxy 6.
I bought it because I wanted a phone that I could use with Osmand+ for navigation on the bike. Navigating with the gps on it lasts in excess of 6 hours with the screen on, shutting down 1 minute after a turn and switching on as you approach a turn.

The question you should be asking is how long does a phone battery last, not how big is the battery. My son has one of those cheapo Chinese jobs with a battery that is said to be 6000 mAh. It lasts only about 1 1/2 days! If you use a bar bag its easy to attach a seperate lithium battery to extend the life of your phone.

Al

My cheap Chinese phone's battery is rated at a measly 1800mAh but it lasts about as long as your son's does in my version of 'normal usage'. It seems entirely possible to me that your son's version of normal usage is also quite different to your version. 6 hrs navigating with GPS on does sound good and your phone is reasonably priced- how does the 5 MP camera perform?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Moto E camera is pretty basic, not good in poor light. Heres a picture of my new allotment before I had a go at it from the camera. https://goo.gl/photos/Yo31YwuEreSomv6X7 But I dont usually take photos with a phone. This was to show the Parish Clerk who got it rotovated for me before I took it over.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Mick F wrote:No comments on the phone, but just checked my Samsung Galaxy S2 battery for comparison's sake.

6.11Wh = 6,110mAh ............. so yours will be 66% more capacity.

Wh != Ah !

P= IV therefore, (at a nominal 3.7v) 6.11/3.7 is 1.651Ah. Or near enough the 1650mAh commonly stated for the s2.

Newer larger phones tend to be around 2500 to 3000 so this is about 3-4x those.

Obviously as others have pointed out, how long a phone lasts depends on a large amount of other stuff. It may be a better option to simply get a phone that suits the other needs and then just get a backup battery charger. It's easy to expand a battery via such methods, much harder to expand other phone functionality. As the review says, it's good providing the compromises aren't an issue.

Amp hours aren't a good measure of capacity to compare across functions due the voltage thing, motorcycle batteries are 12v, you'll have a job starting a scooter engine with a phone. :D
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Stevek76 wrote:Wh != Ah !
:oops: :oops: :oops:
I used to be an electronics engineer. Qualified HNC and all that. :oops:
Sorry, I must've had a rush of "stuff" to my brain there. Getting too old and past it.

Thanks for putting me right!
Mick F. Cornwall
niggle

Post by niggle »

Stevek76 wrote:

Amp hours aren't a good measure of capacity to compare across functions due the voltage thing, motorcycle batteries are 12v, you'll have a job starting a scooter engine with a phone. :D

Yeah I know, I was being facetious, and to illustrate your point for the MZ 250cc two strokes the 6 volt motorcycle's batteries were rated at more Ah than the later 12 volt model's batteries were.
niggle

Post by niggle »

My conclusion is that although the Oukitel K10000 has a rather superb battery, this is not a major selling point for me as the other options of either back-up battery or recharging from dynamo light USB are more practical solutions. This frees me to look at the other aspects of phone design and pretty much forget about battery capacity, and there are better phones out therein many other respects whether mainstream or budget.

Knowing my propensity to lose, drop, drown, crush and otherwise abuse phones I favour the latter for me. I acknowledge that mainstream brands may be a slightly better product but I think the gap is closing fast. it reminds of Brit bikes v Japs and we all know how that ended (late resurgence of Triumph not withstanding).