Funding for work shower

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
2fatwheels

Funding for work shower

Post by 2fatwheels »

Hi CUK Forum.
I work, as a self-employed individual, in a serviced office space rented from a regeneration charity in NI. All is great, except there is no shower. I have spoke with one or two people about getting a shower, and whereas they don't have an issue with getting one, they don't have money either - but they do have an extra loo that they'd be happy to use (job half done!). Are there grants available - who from? And would there be an obligation to build a separate male and female room - ie discrimination type stuff.
Very best, AJmes
drossall

Re: Funding for work shower

Post by drossall »

Can't see why you'd need two. It just needs to be equally accessible to both. The charity I work for only has one, which is fair enough because that seems to be enough for the demand.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Have you thought of canvassing all the other individuals and groups who use the premises? If there's enough interested, that you can quantify, it may be worth presenting a formal request to the board of trustees, most effectively through a personal presentation at a board meeting.
Within the presentation you could incorporate an estimation of the cost, which may not be as much as the individuals you've already approached fear (unfounded fear often illicits an immediate "no"). After all, there's already water and drainage on site.
If the stated aims of the project are about community regeneration, you should slant it to those. And the shower might have a use to other community projects in the vicinity, so the cost may be shared.
I've had experience of all these approaches bearing fruit. But it depends on finding the right person to champion it. If the idea takes root in an influential member of the board then the discussions after you leave could be positive for you.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Oh.........and I've just remembered something else. A bit of a compromise solution, but it worked.

I used to work in an office that was in a building that was within a college campus, and had previously been a hall of residence. Within our suite of rooms there were two toilet rooms, each with two sinks and two cubicles. One was male and the other female. I was told there there was no chance of a shower. But we came up with another way forward. We simply put a lock on the inside of the male toilet entrance (I'm male). I'd lock myself in and then have a strip wash at a sink, standing on a towel.

Not a perfect solution for me, nor for the queue of my colleagues in the the corridor (all crossing their legs).......but it worked. Sometimes the solution is outside the box.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

http://www.cycleni.com/
Are probably a good place to start for funding. Even if they can't they should be able to point you in the right direction.
NUKe

Post by gaz »

2fatwheels wrote:... Are there grants available - who from? ...

Welcome to the forum.

Quick Google produces: http://www.givingnorthernireland.org/links-useful-sites

Might be something suitable in that list, you know the circumstances applicable to your office and the organisations you rent from / work with.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

You shouldn't need separate m and F facilities. Most places have shared showers (not in that way of course :) ) often in the disabled loos (which are also unisex).
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Geoff.D wrote:. We simply put a lock on the inside of the male toilet entrance (I'm male). I'd lock myself in and then have a strip wash at a sink, standing on a towel.

Not a perfect solution for me, nor for the queue of my colleagues in the the corridor (all crossing their legs).......but it worked. Sometimes the solution is outside the box.

I do the same at work. Disabled toilets with a sink. I put down a wheelie bin bag to catch the water and use a bath sponge to wash down and then rinse off. Most of the water gets caught in the bin bag and then goes down the sink.

It's far from being as effective as a shower but it's better than nothing.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If cycling here is ever going to be regarded as a first choice for commuting to work and getting around in general as in places like Holland and Denmark it won't be achieved while some folk think a shower/full body wash is necessary after cycling to work.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

pete75 wrote:If cycling here is ever going to be regarded as a first choice for commuting to work and getting around in general as in places like Holland and Denmark it won't be achieved while some folk think a shower/full body wash is necessary after cycling to work.

I take your point, Pete.

I've commuted without having showers and washes. If the journey is short, and speed is not essential, then I've arrived at work and meetings with no fuss. However, the situation I described above was when I was commuting 13 miles through the lanes, and I'd do so in cycling gear and I also enjoyed pushing on a bit. It was nice to be able to take the sweat off before I changed into clean clothes.

I agree it's not essential. But I'm not sure that the majority of short distance commuters (and they're likely to be the majority of all commuters anyway) will give it too much thought one way or the other. I've no evidence for this, of course.
Andy3460

Re: RE: Re: Funding for work shower

Post by Andy3460 »

pete75 wrote:If cycling here is ever going to be regarded as a first choice for commuting to work and getting around in general as in places like Holland and Denmark it won't be achieved while some folk think a shower/full body wash is necessary after cycling to work.

When I commute, it's 14 miles in, the last 5 miles are uphill it's in a hot country and I'm fat and sweaty.
Believe me, its better for everyone if I can get a shower.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my XT1068 using hovercraft full of eels.
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

Wet wipes...
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
Boyseys Mum

Post by Boyseys Mum »

You dont even need a shower, you can get a quick wash at a sink. I could understand someone needing shower if they had done a hundred miles or so, but not on a average commute.
If you have had a bath/shower before you set off and put your deodorant on then you shouldnt end up all stinking and sweating anyway.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Boyseys Mum wrote:You dont even need a shower, you can get a quick wash at a sink. I could understand someone needing shower if they had done a hundred miles or so, but not on a average commute.
If you have had a bath/shower before you set off and put your deodorant on then you shouldnt end up all stinking and sweating anyway.

I agree. 11 miles one way for 5 years in the tropical jungle of London and I didn't need any more than a sink. Natural pheromones are highly underrated in our modern, sterile society. Works better than the Lynx effect. [emoji6]
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Some people might choose cycling to work over going to the gym, therefore they might push as hard as they can, no matter how long their commute, do it with maximum effort and therefore need a shower before work.

When I used to commute I had to really force myself to go slowly at the end of the short ride, then try to cool down outside before going in, I wasn't very fit, so it would take a while to recover and cool down. If I were to arrive and go straight inside, I'd get hot and sweaty whilst trying to recover, without the benefit of the cycling induced cooling airflow.

Edit

Plus, showering at work saves money on your showering at home bill. If you're going to have a shower in the morning, it makes sense to do it after cycling to work, especially if you might get wet and/or dirty.