Spa Aire Saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jamesh

Re: Spa Aire Saddle

Postby Jamesh » 6 Jul 2019, 9:40pm

I've now done approx 2000 miles on my spa saddle but I don't think it's truly broken in.

Several days of hot weather didn't help nor did leaving the bike in a drying room one night.

One thing I'm thinking is the vanish? on the topside is quite im pervous to moisture as is the cloth bonded to the underside.

Might dunk overnight in water.

Having said that the saddle is fine on day rides but for multiday rides is a pain!

Cheers James

pwa

Postby pwa » 7 Jul 2019, 8:14am

I'd be careful about looking for quick solutions. It is easy to say from the comfort of my armchair, but you might have been better off buying that saddle a year ago and giving it longer to adapt to your shape. If you know which part of the saddle needs to change (possibly the two sit bone areas?) just try to get some extra Proofide on those areas, but resist putting loads on other areas. Too much Proofide makes a saddle floppy, so there is a balance to be found.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 7 Jul 2019, 1:10pm

I think your right.

I'm not going to do anything drastic.

I cannot see my touring tokens being recharged anytime soon by the Mrs :( so I will use it for day rides!!!

Nw500 or Lon las Cumru comes to mind.

Cheers James

scottg

Postby scottg » 8 Jul 2019, 1:40pm

greyingbeard wrote:I would to start with

next person will say the opposite, or tell you to soak it in red wine, or something

Soaked in neats foot oil, at the Full Moon, hung to dry at Stonehenge for a lunar cycle.
Source "Cycling Aids" 801AD edition.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why not the best, buy Cyclo-Benelux.

RickH

Postby RickH » 8 Jul 2019, 5:34pm

scottg wrote:Soaked in neats foot oil, at the Full Moon, hung to dry at Stonehenge for a lunar cycle.
Source "Cycling Aids" 801AD edition.

Let's not be having any of this trendy modern stuff! :?