Bike shop turned my bike into Frankenstein's monster...advice?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Re: Bike shop turned my bike into Frankenstein's monster...advice?

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:at one time I heard little other than positive reports about Trek's frame warranty but more recently it has been more this kind of thing;

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/general-cycling-discussion/trek-domane-frame-crack-voids-warranty-abnormal-riding-308696.html

-where both the trek dealer and the trek agent thought it would be a no-brainer, but the warranty dept disagreed and left everyone in the poop.

There is plenty of this kind of talk out there. Not all of it will be accurate or truthful but then again there is perhaps no smoke etc....

Maybe it varies with territory, too, but I've recently heard of several cases where they refuse the warranty but 'offer a discounted frame as a gesture of goodwill' or somesuch. The 'discounted price' is such that it means Trek are usually still making a healthy profit on the sale of the frame, and the customer is still saddled with the bill for building and stripping the bike etc.

cheers

That's in the US though isn't it. Here it's the claim would be against the supplying dealer as that's who the contract is with, not the manufacturer. The UK method seems a lot simpler and better. If Fred Smith cycles sells you a duff bike then it's up to Fred Smith to put it right.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I'm a bit fuzzy on this; maybe someone can clarify? My understanding is that the retailer has certain obligations for sure but things like longer frame warranties are provided by the manufacturer, not the retailer.

I do know that with many brands, should your frame break, you the customer are expected to cough up for any rebuild costs that the dealer may incur when the bike is stripped/rebuilt; I'd say that if as described, Trek dealers are the exception.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:I'm a bit fuzzy on this; maybe someone can clarify? My understanding is that the retailer has certain obligations for sure but things like longer frame warranties are provided by the manufacturer, not the retailer.

I do know that with many brands, should your frame break, you the customer are expected to cough up for any rebuild costs that the dealer may incur when the bike is stripped/rebuilt; I'd say that if as described, Trek dealers are the exception.

cheers

It changed a lot with the 2015 consumer rights act

Q. The manufacturer offers a guarantee; can the trader refer the consumer straight to that manufacturer?
A. The consumer's statutory rights are with the trader who sold the goods to him and the guarantee offered by the manufacturer is in addition to such rights. A consumer can choose whether to pursue the trader or the manufacturer and neither may refuse the consumer his rights and direct him to the other. However, the trader in turn may have rights against their supplier.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker