Midge repellent for trip to the Trossachs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
scoot

Midge repellent for trip to the Trossachs

Postby scoot » 7 Jun 2016, 9:26am

Hi,

I have been advised to get a repellent for my week holiday to the Trossachs starting 18th June. I have been recommended Avon Skin so soft but can't get this in time from the Avon Lady.

Can anyone recommend something suitable that I can pick up quicker please.

I found a midge map that said minimal midge activity in the Trossachs and then spoke to a Scottish colleague who laughed out loud :lol: Time to get prepared I think :wink:

Thanks,

Paul
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad

Bonefishblues

Re: Midge repellent for trip to the Trossachs

Postby Bonefishblues » 7 Jun 2016, 9:46am

I'd use Jungle Formula and a midge headnet/hat.

profpointy

Postby profpointy » 7 Jun 2016, 9:57am

scoot wrote:Hi,

I have been advised to get a repellent for my week holiday to the Trossachs starting 18th June. I have been recommended Avon Skin so soft but can't get this in time from the Avon Lady.

Can anyone recommend something suitable that I can pick up quicker please.

I found a midge map that said minimal midge activity in the Trossachs and then spoke to a Scottish colleague who laughed out loud :lol: Time to get prepared I think :wink:

Thanks,

Paul

The climbing shops in Glencoe sell the Avon stuff, but apparently there was some rumour that Avon didn't want their skin-care product associated with insect repellent so may or may not have changed their formula. Worth a go all the same.

For official insect repellent, the key ingredient is DEET (di-ethyl-tolumide) and look at the % on the label. Over 50% is what you need.

Warning - do not let DEET get onto anything plastic, eg don't leave it on the dashboard of your car, so that it leaks in the sun, and then burns a hole in the dashboard, into the glove box, out the bottom of the glove box onto the carpet. You've seen the scene in Alien where they cut the monster and the acid blood burns through several decks of the spaceship - well DEET is like that with (certain) plastics.

pwa

Postby pwa » 7 Jun 2016, 10:26am

Anything that says 50% DEET will help. They still land on you but tend not to bite. There are health concerns about DEET, but, personally, when the midges start I would take up smoking 60 a day if it would keep them away from me.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 7 Jun 2016, 10:31am

nosmarbaj

Postby nosmarbaj » 7 Jun 2016, 10:46am

Severity of midge problems are affected by several things:

Weather - windy is good, as is a dry spell long enough that long grass and undergrowth isn't damp. Still humid evenings are bad - unfortunately this is common summer weather in the Highlands. If camping, try to find a spot exposed to any breeze (unless storms are forecast!); on or near the sea-shore is often good.
Activity - you'll normally be OK while actually cycling (midges don't like moving targets). Walking and, worse, standing or sitting still is when you get attacked. Midges don't generally venture into buildings so B&B is better than camping from this POV.
Personal sensitivity - some people are more attractive to midges than others, and/or react more to the bites.

IME, while pwa's idea of chain-smoking would probably work, DEET is the way to go for repellants, but as noted upthread it's not good for plastics including (at least some) tent fabrics and garment material. Personally I tend to go for a head-net, long trousers tucked into socks, and long-sleeved top. This leaves only the hands and wrists to worry about.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 7 Jun 2016, 10:53am

I am so plagued by midges that I have basically given up venturing north of the border during the summer months.

The phrase 'minimal midge activity in the Trossachs' made me laugh out loud for several reasons... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

scoot

Postby scoot » 7 Jun 2016, 11:10am

Hi All,

I have been so looking forward to this trip but this is starting to concern me. Not so much for me but it will really ruin the holiday for my wife :(

DEET sounds the way to go but if it will melt plastics I would worry about what its doing to me albeit not as bad as the midges. I will have a look at hair nets :shock:

Gonna hope for windy, warm and dry weather or I'll be spending most of my time either in the holiday cottage we have hired by a loch ! or in the car. I'm assuming midges like lochs!

Brilliant responses.

Thanks,

Paul

scoot

Postby scoot » 7 Jun 2016, 11:12am

Hi Brucey,

"The phrase 'minimal midge activity in the Trossachs' made me laugh out loud for several reasons... :wink:"

Guess I'll find out in 2 weeks: pleased it made you laugh :D

Paul

irc

Postby irc » 7 Jun 2016, 11:15am

Minimal activity? Depends on the breeze. I camped in a field in Argyll 2 nights ago. Minimal activity at dusk with light breeze. So minimal I didn't use my repellent. In the morning bad enough for a running decamp.

Same story on Islay and Jura the previous days. Sitting outside in open areas with a breeze without repellent. Quite bad in sheltered bits under trees. Close to zero on tent pitches right on the shore.

Trossachs. I can't think of many places open enough. I'd take repellent and a head net for the Trossachs.

Edit - They will be worse in another two weeks but away from dusk/dawn with a breeze I wouldn't worry. They like a sitting target as well. A gentle walking speed is usually enough to keep them off.

scoot

Postby scoot » 7 Jun 2016, 12:24pm

Hi IRC,

Thanks: we'll keep clear of dawn and dusk and hope for a pleasant breeze. We aren't too good at sitting still so I'll keep on the move and hope fro the best.

Cheers,

Paul

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 7 Jun 2016, 2:28pm

You can buy midge suits too. Shirt and trousers in midge net.

Smidge has a following. There's a few Scottish made and developed herbal type repellents. I've even known people who've used the same repellent spray they sell for horses. Desperation will drive you to anything that works.

Avon did have a change of formula but IIRC they put it in a different colour bottle, blue and green bottles for the variants. It works by barrier method. The midges will land but not bite. If you're sensitive to them landing on your skin then perhaps not the best option.

There is usually a midge forecast online. Worth checking out. One last thing, I once got told from a more experienced Scottish walker than I that different areas had different midges that react to different repellents. What works on west coast midges doesn't always work on east coast or the dread Ullapool midge.

I hope whatever you take works and your trip isn't spoilt buy the midgiehideen swarms!

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 7 Jun 2016, 2:33pm

If you're sat in your tent and it suddenly goes dark it might be rain clouds. More likely it's midges!

We had that one morning, No sign of midges the evening before. Morning came with the sun out and a cloud of midges covering all of our groups tents. We packed up inside the tents then rushed to put anything into.the car along with the collapsed and scrunched up tents then drove off. We soon realised the car was full of them so we opened the Windows and drove off trying to blow them out. When we could pull over we shook off the dead midges, cleared the car out and left Scotland. Well it was our last day.

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 7 Jun 2016, 2:34pm

If you do want to sit outside on a still day try burning Mosquito Coils - they are very effective when camping. Most local shops in the Trossachs will stock them.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 7 Jun 2016, 2:40pm

I remember being amused seeing a midge land on one of those coils not far from the lit end sorry but I've had the same level of effectiveness from burning toilet roll cores. They have never worked for me.

Scandinavian Summer. It comes in a tin, looks like boot polish and makes you smell of a wood fire. It's also one of the best midge, mosquito and fly repellents I've used. Totally natural being based on pine resin IIRC.