Flying with bike, which oil can I take on board?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PaulH

Flying with bike, which oil can I take on board?

Post by PaulH »

I'm guessing this has been covered before but, I'm flying with my bike for the first time and would like some advice on which oil I can take on board. I'm assuming GT85 and WD40 are out as they are aerosol and highly flammable. I was going to go with Finish Line Dry Lube in a bottle but the labelling has this as flammable also. Is my only option 3in1 or has anyone been okay with Finish Line?

I could do without the hassle of unpacking and confiscation at 4am at the airport as you can imagine.

Any advice or previous experiences would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Flying with bike, which oil can I take on board?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Why do you want to take it on board? Even if you find some non-inflammable oil, it's still liquid and although you're supposed to be allowed up to 100ml, regulations change, attitudes vary and your destination might have other interpretations. Best pack it in your checked luggage, in a freezer bag if you're worried about leakage, for non-confiscation. Or just buy some when you get there.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

I've often carried several litres of olive oil litre in my baggage, and no one queries that. Yet it is oil and therefore flammable.

Rather than 3-in-1, use engine oil or even better gear oil in a little bottle, you only need a tiny quantity unless you are going for months.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Where's your bike going to be stowed on board?
In the hold with all the luggage.

Remove your seatpost, drop in a small bottle of your favourite lube, and replace your seatpost.
Who's going to know?
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Don't they scan bikes?

I assumed they did.

In fact would be worried if they didn't.

Wouldn't the oil bottle show up on the scan?

Whether they would then bother about it is a different matter.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If it's a metal bike, then the scanners won't see through the metal.

CF frame?
Try the handle bars instead.
Mick F. Cornwall
PBA

Post by PBA »

I would seriously advise not hiding anything in a bike frame prior to flying. Much better to put int into checked baggage or tape if firmly and clearly to the bike. Things inside frames could result in the frame being sawn open to find out what they are! The risk for checked in baggage is flammability. Choose a product that doesn't have big warning labels. Pack it sensibly and all should be fine.
Scottishgaucho

Post by Scottishgaucho »

100ml of oil can go a long way plus you can take more than one 100ml bottle as long as they all fit into the liquids bag.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:If it's a metal bike, then the scanners won't see through the metal....

modern X-ray systems are clever, and the metal isn't very thick. I concur with the post above, a hidden container with fluid in it might well elicit exactly the kind of response that means that your bike is torn apart, and given the bicycle equivalent of a 'full body cavity search'..... :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

I don't understand the problem.
Liquid restrictions apply to hand luggage, not checked. It seems unlikely that a bike goes as anything other than checked baggage. Provided the lube does not infringe rules on flammables/explosives pertinent to the airline (so presumably no more flammable than perfume?) then there should be no issue sending it packed with the bike.
Attempting to smuggle it obscured in an inaccessible cavity of the bike would seem unwise and possibly result in the security personnel being interested in inspecting the owner's cavities as well as the bike.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok.
I'll bow to the majority. :oops:
Just an idea.

From what I can remember of the rules, it states that the container mustn't be bigger than 100ml.
Always puzzled me that you could take a 1ltr container that was completely empty ............... and be refused.
Mick F. Cornwall
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

Mick F wrote:Ok.
From what I can remember of the rules, it states that the container mustn't be bigger than 100ml.
Always puzzled me that you could take a 1ltr container that was completely empty ............... and be refused.

But that only applies to carry-on baggage, surely? Checked baggage is not judged the same; as far as I am aware there is nothing to stop you having a whole litre of, say, sun cream in checked baggage. It must be accessible for inspection (and theft!) by security staff, so any locks may be cut for inspection.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, that seems reasonable.
Nowt to say what can be in the suitcase in the hold.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/inf ... strictions
Mick F. Cornwall
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Surely oil is used on chains in your destination country? Just buy it when you get there, saves any confusion. If a language problem just point at the chain and say "drippy drippy" :lol:
Daniel Fox

Post by Daniel Fox »

I have taken a small bottle of wet lube oil in my carry on luggage without any difficulty. Needed to take it out to oil bikes provided by works sport club that are kept at at hotels we stay in. It must be in a less than 100ml container and fit in the 1 litre clear plastic bag that all your other liquids you carry on board will be in.