Non folding bike on London Liverpool Street to Ipswich/Colchester (Abellio/Greater Anglia)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
shortpins

Non folding bike on London Liverpool Street to Ipswich/Colchester (Abellio/Greater Anglia)

Post by shortpins »

Hi all,

Does anyone have any up to date experience of getting a bike on a train at Liverpool Street to Ipswich/Colchester Town Kelvedon/Witham (I'm getting off at Kelvedon)? I found an earlier post from 2012 but wanted to get an up to date idea of what to expect.

I plan to travel after 7pm so it wont be rush hour but some info I read online suggests a reservation is needed in all cases on that line.

I phoned up the number on the Abellio/GreaterAnglia website (ended up at Trainline) and tried to reserve a bike space but the train that could be reserved had no spaces and the other trains I asked for were 'non reservable' according the to call centre person. I'm *guessing* the non-reservable ones are a different kind of train without a guards van but I really don't know. Maybe I can just stick the bike in the vestibule but don't know if I will get hassled.

So I'm left with the option of just turning up and trying my luck. Am visiting my ill Mum so can't risk being turned away but really need to take my bike :(

If anyone can share their experience/advice on this it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Many thanks,
SP
JamesE

Re: Non folding bike on London Liverpool Street to Ipswich/Colchester (Abellio/Greater Anglia)

Post by JamesE »

You definitely don't need a reservation on the stopper services, like the one to Colchester via Witham, Kelvedon etc. The only restriction is that you can't take bikes in peak time, leaving Liverpool Street or Stratford between 4.30-6.30pm - see here. (The National Rail site says you need a reservation but this is wrong). These trains are commuter types - iirc some have decent bike/wheelchair spaces but there'll be no problem with propping your bike in a vestibule. I've done this several times. Absolute worst case, the train's a bit full - just wait for the next one and board nice and early.

The only Greater Anglia trains you need a reservation on are the intercity services (with proper guard's van) to Norwich. But I can't see any reason to take this anyway unless you changed at Colchester and took a train back into London?
shortpins

Re: Non folding bike on London Liverpool Street to Ipswich/Colchester (Abellio/Greater Anglia)

Post by shortpins »

Thankyou so much James - that is a massive help and has really put my mind at rest. I was hoping it would be as you described but, yeah, the National Rail website did seem to contradict info elsewhere.

So, I shall grab one of the stopper trains.

Thanks again :)
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

If really stuck, is it acceptable to just remove the front wheel, thus rendering it as a "non-bike" and relegating it to hand luggage?
mjr

Post by mjr »

fastpedaller wrote:If really stuck, is it acceptable to just remove the front wheel, thus rendering it as a "non-bike" and relegating it to hand luggage?

Or just wrap it in paper: http://metro.co.uk/2006/04/20/bikes-ban ... not-58680/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
JJF

Post by JJF »

I use the Liverpool St/Colchester etc line fairly frequently and can confirm JamesE's response. Bikes are normally put in the vestibule. You need to keep an eye on it because in many journey's the platform isn't always on the same side so you might have to be on hand to let passengers in and out.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if the trains are anything like the archaic coach-on-rails put-put diesel trains that run from Ipswich to Lowestoft then at one end there is space for wheel chairs, the other end for large things like bikes. The conductor will tell you to move your bike if you use the wheel chair space
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

This line is incredibly unreliable so look out for the dread bus replacement service, especially on Sundays.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

At least for one stock type typically used on this route, there are fold up seating areas intended for cycle carriage, typically one per 4 car unit and located at the country end of the unit.

You will probably have no difficulty getting on at Liverpool St, because lots of people get on at Stratford, who then might whinge at you if it is fairly shortly after 7pm, better to be at an extreme end of the train to reduce this risk.