carrying a phone in the summer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Psamathe

Re: carrying a phone in the summer

Post by Psamathe »

MikeF wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Round my neck I can hear it ring. Can even hear the "e-mail arrived" bing noise (as I need to be contactable 100% of the time for my aged parents and my home phone will e-mail my mobile if my home phone rings (i.e. e-mail "+44 1234 567890 called you" - does not need a voicemail). So I need to stop and check any incoming e-mails, answer calls, etc. (My e-mail routing ensures that non-urgent e-mail don't get routed to my phone).

Ian
That relies on you always being in an area where there is a phone signal. Mobile phone coverage is very intermittent in spite of claims made by phone companies - they may claim coverage for 90 something% of population coverage, but it's nothing like 90 something% coverage of land area, which is when a mobile phone is needed.

I'm in very intermittent mobile coverage where I ride. I need to be contactable so my parents in their 90s can get me urgently (e.g. when one of them has a fall or many other crises that seem to regularly happen). Setting up my home phone to push an e-mail me whenever a missed call happen on home landline (the e-mail containing the caller phone number, if a voice message was left, etc.) means that as soon as I move into any coverage the e-mail arrives. This seems much faster than SMSs which can take a long time to come through in intermittent coverage.

Not always immediate due to coverage but even in diabolical coverage it normally isn't long between glimpses of signal so the email gets through and when it does I'm also in coverage to call back to find out what the problem is (and instruct, call others or abort the ride, etc.)

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Switch the bloody thing off so you can not telephone while riding!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Switch the bloody thing off so you can not telephone while riding!

Can't do that. Some things are more important than avoiding my phone (e.g. very aged parents who do need help, have accidents, etc.).

Ian
SteelCityColt

Post by SteelCityColt »

I ordered something similar from eBay but annoyingly the clamp is nowhere near big enough to go around my bars, besides ideally I think I want something that is stem mounted. Only thing I've seen close enough so far is the Quadlock stuff, has anyone tried it out?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I bought one of these last year in red:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endu ... lsrc=aw.ds
Loose MTB style fit,three rear pockets,extremely well made and cheap,great for carrying stuff and smart too
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I usually carry my phone in an HB hag, failing which in a freezer bag along with wallet & ID in my centre back pocket. I have been told that even hardened waterproof phones may let water vapour in and sweat will certainly attack the casing over time, especially any metal parts. I took the plating off a camera that way.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:Went for the small bumbag in the end

You can get them for a few pounds now. Definitely a smart choice. Shorten the strap to the minimum, tuck the excess into a pocket, clip the bag to the stem upside down between you and the stem, flip it forwards over the bars and enjoy the instant mini QR bar bag!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I have no need for a smart phone.

My phone is tiny and on rides it gets put in a screw top water bottle along with a spare inner tube, tyre levers, puncture repair kit and a credit card.

My water is in another bottle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

blackbike wrote: ..........My water is in another bottle.

Shrewd move :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden