carrying a phone in the summer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vorpal

Re: carrying a phone in the summer

Post by Vorpal »

Psamathe wrote:I use one of these http://store.aquapac.net/product/waterproof-phone-case-mini/. Available from a number of suppliers (online and in shops).

Waterproof, wear round my neck under my shirt (i.e. not flopping around), pretty cheap. I can hear all the sounds (e-mails, ringing, etc.) whilst riding. Works in the case (I have a screen protector AND the case and it works fine through both - though not with my gloves (I've not got those "special" e-finger ones). The neck strap avoids the need for fixing or pockets, keeps it out of the way, completely secure (wont bounce out of a handlebar clip thing).

Doesn't swing around whilst riding (I don't even notice it).

Check what size is appropriate for your phone. They do do bike ones that clip to the handle bars but I've just got the normal neck strap one which works brilliantly - been using it for a couple of years now and still going strong.

Ian

+1 I've even taken pictures in the rain with it still in the Aquapac :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bez

Post by Bez »

I use a Rickshaw Pipsqueak. I don't think anyone imports them any more but I'm sure you can order directly from Rickshaw. Failing that: Alpkit Stem Cell? Vittoria Bottle Cage Tool Bag?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Vorpal wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I use one of these http://store.aquapac.net/product/waterproof-phone-case-mini/. Available from a number of suppliers (online and in shops).

Waterproof, wear round my neck under my shirt (i.e. not flopping around), pretty cheap. I can hear all the sounds (e-mails, ringing, etc.) whilst riding. Works in the case (I have a screen protector AND the case and it works fine through both - though not with my gloves (I've not got those "special" e-finger ones). The neck strap avoids the need for fixing or pockets, keeps it out of the way, completely secure (wont bounce out of a handlebar clip thing).

Doesn't swing around whilst riding (I don't even notice it).

Check what size is appropriate for your phone. They do do bike ones that clip to the handle bars but I've just got the normal neck strap one which works brilliantly - been using it for a couple of years now and still going strong.

Ian

+1 I've even taken pictures in the rain with it still in the Aquapac :)

When I used to report potholes I never had to take the phone out of the case - enter details through the case, take photo through case and GPS records location through case, etc.

The other thing I like is that as it's not fixed to the bike it is not subject to any nasty jaring (sic?) should you hit that horrendous pothole. I've no idea how bad such jaring might be for a phone (maybe they survive it no problem, but round your neck gives it good protection.

Ian
Si

Post by Si »

Went for the small bumbag in the end.

T shirt with pockets isn't really on as I have to wear the employer's branded shirt a lot, and when not i prefer a baggy shirt which means things swing around a bit.
Don't really want it on the bike as I frequently have to leave the bike for a very short bit of time and don't want the hassle of shifting stuff around.
The plastic protector around the neck looked interesting but wondering what it feels like when you start sweating on really hot day?

Maybe I should learn to sew and put bigger pockets on my shorts?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Si wrote:The plastic protector around the neck looked interesting but wondering what it feels like when you start sweating on really hot day?

Mostly it's fine & hangs away from my body a bit. It bugged me a couple of times, but then I just put it over my shirt, bandolier style.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Si wrote:Went for the small bumbag in the end.

T shirt with pockets isn't really on as I have to wear the employer's branded shirt a lot, and when not i prefer a baggy shirt which means things swing around a bit.
Don't really want it on the bike as I frequently have to leave the bike for a very short bit of time and don't want the hassle of shifting stuff around.
The plastic protector around the neck looked interesting but wondering what it feels like when you start sweating on really hot day?

Maybe I should learn to sew and put bigger pockets on my shorts?

Don't even know it's there as it does not rest against your skin.

One thing I like about the round the neck thing is that should you fall off then the phone is somewhat protected. Of course that risk depends in part on the rider but had I been wearing a bum bag or an arm strap when I came off, there would be a e.g. 50% chance I'd have been buying a new phone as well as nursing cuts and bruises.

Ian
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

I have a neoprene utility pouch on a belt. Smaller than a bumbag and the pouches sit either side, rather than above the bum. The look is more 'first aider' than 'roller blader', which is a good thing.

Then there are these belt mounted phone holsters, though I'm not sure how well they'd work for cycling. http://www.simple.be/holsters/
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Vetus Ossa wrote:I use this when running and cycling, as I only really need to have it with me for emergencies, the phone is not that accessible when in the pouch, but it fulfils my needs very well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Fwiw when running I obviously sweat more than when I am cycling and have had no problems. If I ran or cycled in the pouring rain without a waterproof top I would put my phone in a plastic bag first. It sits nicely against my stomach and stays put, that is it doesn’t move around.
Beauty will save the world.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bar bag, saddle bag or panniers. Or fairing/side bags on a 'bent.

On the raptobike I have a fabric pouch which is velcroed to the tiller, so the phone (and my cards) is accessible fairly easily. Never hear it ringing though...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote:...Never hear it ringing though...

Round my neck I can hear it ring. Can even hear the "e-mail arrived" bing noise (as I need to be contactable 100% of the time for my aged parents and my home phone will e-mail my mobile if my home phone rings (i.e. e-mail "+44 1234 567890 called you" - does not need a voicemail). So I need to stop and check any incoming e-mails, answer calls, etc. (My e-mail routing ensures that non-urgent e-mail don't get routed to my phone).

Ian
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Craghoppers "Kiwi" shirt with button-down pocket
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psamathe wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:...Never hear it ringing though...

Round my neck I can hear it ring. Can even hear the "e-mail arrived" bing noise (as I need to be contactable 100% of the time for my aged parents and my home phone will e-mail my mobile if my home phone rings (i.e. e-mail "+44 1234 567890 called you" - does not need a voicemail). So I need to stop and check any incoming e-mails, answer calls, etc. (My e-mail routing ensures that non-urgent e-mail don't get routed to my phone).

Ian

If I cared I'm sure I could make it louder, but I generally don't need to be *that* contactable.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Cycling jersey or a top-tube mounted tri-bag would be my suggestions. The jersey is the better option IMO as there's no danger of forgetting that you've left the phone where it can be nicked by the light-fingered if you park up anywhere.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Psamathe wrote:Round my neck I can hear it ring. Can even hear the "e-mail arrived" bing noise (as I need to be contactable 100% of the time for my aged parents and my home phone will e-mail my mobile if my home phone rings (i.e. e-mail "+44 1234 567890 called you" - does not need a voicemail). So I need to stop and check any incoming e-mails, answer calls, etc. (My e-mail routing ensures that non-urgent e-mail don't get routed to my phone).

Ian
That relies on you always being in an area where there is a phone signal. Mobile phone coverage is very intermittent in spite of claims made by phone companies - they may claim coverage for 90 something% of population coverage, but it's nothing like 90 something% coverage of land area, which is when a mobile phone is needed.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.