what are the headphones which drown traffic noise?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Psamathe

Re: what are the headphones which drown traffic noise?

Post by Psamathe »

Mike Sales wrote:I am making progress. Bob's suggestion of using tape to hold the in ear phone in place seems to be the key. Thanks Bob, why didn't I think of that? ... I am making a lot of fuss when a roll of micropore tape seems to be the answer.

Or, maybe one of those Buff things (I wear one with my helmet to keep insects away from head when trapped in the helmet - not for headphones, but they do go down over ears. Or even those headband things (sold by cycling shops designed to keep wind off ears (in winter). i.e. slip on once heaphones are in place.

Note: I've never tried the above with any sort of headphones so an thinking aloud -might be daft of unsafe for reasons I don't appreciate.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ive used a buff for taking conference calls on the way home - but not in summer - I'd roast.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Ive used a buff for taking conference calls on the way home - but not in summer - I'd roast.

I wear one in summer and winter (over head) mainly as I've had some insects fly into the holes in my helmet and then start to crawl around inside and on my hair and I have to stop and get them out (stinging ones as well - but not been stung yet); my helmet does h=not have gauze in the vent holes. So I wear it for insect protection. Does get a bit "damp" though.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

To be honest - I find them too warm in all but the very coldest of UK weather. I didn't wear it all last winter (I don't think I did anyway) - the winter before I was on more 4pm conference calls (i.e. home time) so I used to wear it as I rode and listened to the call (I needed to say "yes,all done" at one point in the call, and understand the last 20 seconds)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Kenn

Post by Kenn »

I use a pair of Bose quietcomfort 25s to listen to music in noisy surroundings (but not on the bike). They cancel out a lot of noise (especially at low frequencies) and give very good sound quality, but may be a bit big for cycling. Bose now make a bluetooth wireless model 35. There are also in ear noise cancellers but I have not tried these. I dislike in ear phones because they need several dB more sound pressure to give the same perceived volume as over ear models, which is not good for long term hearing quality. Sites such as what hi-fi and head-fi have lots of reviews of different phones.

Cheers, Ken
smarthop

Post by smarthop »

Riders who insist on riding with earphones really should consider a single mono earphone. There is a low to mid level version available that mixes both stereo channels into one mono bud so you do not lose any sound as if you use just a single earbud on a stereo set to keep an ear free. The idea is that one ear (traffic side) remains free and the sound is still ok. Unlikely that this would solve the problem for talk shows however. There are also a range of BudLoks which hold the noise isolating version in tighter for better sound. They are available on Amazon UK and eBay UK. The earphones are available from the seller too.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G901F using hovercraft full of eels.
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

I guess a part of the problem here is the headphone wire. That piece of flex feeding the headphone with a signal also tethers the earbuds to a fixed point on the bike or on the rider's body. Tension in the wire varies when the rider moves his head. So the wire threatens to pull the earbud out when the rider is at extremes of the movement range (such as the rider looking over his shoulder). If that is the problem (or at least part of the problem), the adhesive tape will be solving it by acting as a restraint. So the wire will tug against the tape (and the rider's skin) rather than the earbud itself.

If tape works, great. But there might be another solution: headphones with wireless (bluetooth) connectivity. Without the wire as a tether, there's nothing to pull the earphone out of position, and head movement is unimpeded.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Zanda wrote:I guess a part of the problem here is the headphone wire. That piece of flex feeding the headphone with a signal also tethers the earbuds to a fixed point on the bike or on the rider's body. Tension in the wire varies when the rider moves his head. So the wire threatens to pull the earbud out when the rider is at extremes of the movement range (such as the rider looking over his shoulder). If that is the problem (or at least part of the problem), the adhesive tape will be solving it by acting as a restraint. So the wire will tug against the tape (and the rider's skin) rather than the earbud itself.

If tape works, great. But there might be another solution: headphones with wireless (bluetooth) connectivity. Without the wire as a tether, there's nothing to pull the earphone out of position, and head movement is unimpeded.

The wire can be clipped at the top of the shirt, so that there is slack leading to the ear. Then there is very little stress on the wire at the earbud,
Jony2smith

Post by Jony2smith »

Psamathe wrote:Whilst I don't know about traffic (or the advisability of wearing headphones whilst riding), I think it may not only relate to the headphones but to the radio as well. These portable devices have safety limits on output volume to prevent people damaging their hearing and suing them. Which does raise the issue over the volume you would actually need and the potential damage you could do to your hearing - even if you could find a device that will provide the output power.

Also, a lot depends on the headphones you have at present. There are two types of earbuds (irrespective of them having the ear hooks), one that rest in the ear the other type that have a more pointy rubber bit that goes much further into the ear (I've tried them and find them uncomfortable but others clearly like them).

But you do need to be careful about volume and damaging your hearing (and once damaged it does not recover, ever). Whilst I have no experience of noise cancelling headphones, my Dad has used them at home and likes them. It could be a way to eliminate car noise though I'm unsure about the wind noise.

Another possibility might be those headphones that don't go in your ear but below and use bone transmission of sound. People say that the sound quality is not so good but for talking it would be less of an issue.

But, just like saddles, most places will not do sale, try and return.

But do consider the risks of just turning the volume up loud as this is how people damage their hearing.

Ian

Wouldn't wearing noice reduction headphones whilst cycling in traffic represent a potential safety risk?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

My thoughts exactly. I like to know what's around me whether town or country. Would no more wear headphones on a bike than watch a film on my glasses.
Sweep
pwa

Post by pwa »

Sweep wrote:My thoughts exactly. I like to know what's around me whether town or country. Would no more wear headphones on a bike than watch a film on my glasses.

+1 Traffic noise is unpleasant but can be helpful. I'd not venture onto the roads with anything blocking out sound.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

pwa wrote:
Sweep wrote:My thoughts exactly. I like to know what's around me whether town or country. Would no more wear headphones on a bike than watch a film on my glasses.

+1 Traffic noise is unpleasant but can be helpful. I'd not venture onto the roads with anything blocking out sound.

Double +1, Like to be able to hear the audible cues around me ...and if you had an accident would it be classed as contributory negligence ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Me too - I always drive with all four windows open and the tailgate propped open a notch, even when its raining. Don't want to miss those vital audio indications.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Airsporter1st wrote:Me too - I always drive with all four windows open and the tailgate propped open a notch, even when its raining. Don't want to miss those vital audio indications.

Nice bit of sarcasm :D
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

pwa wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:Me too - I always drive with all four windows open and the tailgate propped open a notch, even when its raining. Don't want to miss those vital audio indications.

Nice bit of sarcasm :D

Well I must admit I'm having trouble understanding; if its so important to listen to surrounding traffic then why don't the majority of motorised vehicle drivers do so?

Would having all the windows closed be classed as contributory negligence?