what are the headphones which drown traffic noise?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bonefishblues

Re: what are the headphones which drown traffic noise?

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:
Hence my wondering about any real data or research. Logic can suggest it increases risk but is that by 0.000000001% or by 5%. In many aspects of life we balance risk against enjoyment and for some, having music whilst cycling along could significantly add to enjoyment.

I don't wear headphones cycling so I'm not being defensive, but I'm interested in real risks vs perceived risks and that we don't just add requirements because it's considered "obvious" (as doing that justifies helmet compulsion).

Ian

This. Speaking as someone who used to wear on ear headphones when cycling. In about 1984 :D
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 14 Oct 2018, 11:06am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Airsporter1st wrote:
pwa wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:Me too - I always drive with all four windows open and the tailgate propped open a notch, even when its raining. Don't want to miss those vital audio indications.

Nice bit of sarcasm :D

Well I must admit I'm having trouble understanding; if its so important to listen to surrounding traffic then why don't the majority of motorised vehicle drivers do so?

Would having all the windows closed be classed as contributory negligence?

Motorists are under no immediate threat to their person whilst driving,whereas a cyclist is under constant threat from the inattentive motorist,and it's for that reason I don't impede my hearing when riding and why I also have a RVM :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 14 Oct 2018, 11:08am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I do open a car window/windows where appropriate. There are several blind junctions hereabouts where I habitually do this.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Psamathe, OK, but a headphone user can't possibly predict in advance every situation in which it would be useful to pause the music and hear the world around them and if they could, would they do it anyway? They have decided to take a risk, but believe it is small enough to not be of serious consequence.

I agree that you can't be wholly accurate about the risk, but my thinking is that it is a not insignificant risk and one that I won't be taking it. Furthermore, I would encourage others not to take it either. Roads are dangerous enough without inhibiting your understanding of the environment around you, by stifling your sense of hearing.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Freddie wrote:.....
I agree that you can't be wholly accurate about the risk, but my thinking is that it is a not insignificant risk and one that I won't be taking it. Furthermore, I would encourage others not to take it either. Roads are dangerous enough without inhibiting your understanding of the environment around you, by stifling your sense of hearing.

My own thoughts are that the risk may be more through distraction than through impeding hearing. For example, I'm learning Spanish (rather badly) but I will never listen to my Spanish audio lessons whilst driving as they can take your concentration.

And, just as with helmets there could be counter arguments e.g. learning to rely on a sense that can be unreliable e.g. I understood that electric cars are only legally required to make artificial noise at slow speeds so in your T-junction example the cyclist hearing nothing might then meet a 50 mph electric car.

Ian
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I was so distracted with impeded hearing that I forgot about the distraction angle, another good point. Perhaps a third factor is occasional confusion, with the odd 'is that sound coming from my headphones or the outside world?'

Regarding electric cars, if that is the case, then that seems to be a flaw in the design and will need to be fixed if they begin to proliferate.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

At high speed the tyres make quite a loud noise I think
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Apologies for my previous sarcasm, but I do find it ironic that the same sort of half-buttocked arguments that are applied by those who insist we wear plastic hats are now adopted by those who are convinced that wearing of headphones will lead to our immediate demise.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I don't think the comparison is entirely fair. The arguments in favour of headphones are the bad ones.

Take the risk if you must, just don't pretend that it is comparable to going without a helmet. A helmet protects you from a fall (infrequent event), whereby you might hit your head (rare even in a fall, save certain types of mountain biking).

Wearing headphones diminishes your ability at all times to fully understand traffic and risks around you. This cumulative diminishment is worse, since you are wearing headphones the entire time you are cycling. Headphones worn whilst offroading, on the other hand, I don't see a particular problem with.

The lack of a helmet may impact you in certain, thankfully rare circumstances, while wearing headphones hobbles you for as long as you use them. There is a difference between avoiding a potential, infrequent risk and increasing risk at all times for no good reason (save to stave off boredom).
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Yesterday I was cycling along a two way cycle path. Looking ahead and also to the side where a large event was taking place. While looking to the side, I started to wander across the mid line and was only made aware of it by the bell of a fast approaching road bike coming the other way. I bet he was glad my hearing wasn't impeded.

By the way, I see the OP hasn't posted since May, despite being a regular up till then. Seeing as most of his last posts were anti royal, maybe The Establishment has taken care of him. Alternatively, maybe he found the perfect headphones and rode under a bus. Be warned.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Airsporter1st wrote:Apologies for my previous sarcasm, but I do find it ironic that the same sort of half-buttocked arguments that are applied by those who insist we wear plastic hats are now adopted by those who are convinced that wearing of headphones will lead to our immediate demise.

I don't think anyone is,just saying that wearing headphones whilst cycling is (however slight)an impediment that could lead to a situation that otherwise may be read better without that impediment.
In the same way a RVM is a revelation once one has cycled using one
Last edited by reohn2 on 14 Oct 2018, 7:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Airsporter1st wrote:
pwa wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:Me too - I always drive with all four windows open and the tailgate propped open a notch, even when its raining. Don't want to miss those vital audio indications.

Nice bit of sarcasm :D

Well I must admit I'm having trouble understanding; if its so important to listen to surrounding traffic then why don't the majority of motorised vehicle drivers do so?

Would having all the windows closed be classed as contributory negligence?

In a car I have three good mirrors, whereas on a bike if you have a mirror it is a tiny thing juddering around and giving you very little information. I experimented with mirrors over the years and the bike ones are pathetic and I'd not rely on them to know what's going on around me. In a car I have a lot more idea from the mirrors about what is going on behind. But even in a car I turn the radio off when it looks like getting technical. I don't like the distraction.

So on a bike I use sounds as one of my sources of information.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Airsporter1st wrote:Apologies for my previous sarcasm, but I do find it ironic that the same sort of half-buttocked arguments that are applied by those who insist we wear plastic hats are now adopted by those who are convinced that wearing of headphones will lead to our immediate demise.

I have honestly never put a cycle helmet on my head. And I'd never dream of riding my bike with earphones in. Go figure.

But for me, the two notable things about this thread are (1) the OP, despite feigning no interest in discussing the safety aspects of riding with earphones, took every opportunity to get on his soap-box about exactly that. (2) The last hand-bag was swung in this tedious thread over two years ago, until today when 'Jony2smith' decided he decided he'd waited long enough to ask his question - which he'd have seen asked several years previously, had he bothered reading the thread. Thanks Jony!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

And (3) You found it necessary to join in, too :D
RickH

Post by RickH »

DevonDamo wrote:... until today when 'Jony2smith' decided he decided he'd waited long enough to ask his question - which he'd have seen asked several years previously, had he bothered reading the thread. Thanks Jony!

Give the lad(?) a bit of a break it was his first post having just signed up!

Jony2smith wrote:Wouldn't wearing noice reduction headphones whilst cycling in traffic represent a potential safety risk?

Sorry if folk get a bit tetchy, especially when folk suddenly resurrect old topics.

Welcome to the forum, we are generally a fairly friendly bunch. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.