what are the headphones which drown traffic noise?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ANTONISH

Re: what are the headphones which drown traffic noise?

Post by ANTONISH »

I did a ride across France recently and on the first morning found I had a blocked right ear.
Not so bad when I was riding on the right - but back in the UK I found it unnerving not to be able to clearly hear the approach of a motor vehicle.
It's cleared now and I can detect the approaching vehicle very well - even the tyre noise.
I can't imagine using headphones at all.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Airsporter1st wrote:
Well I must admit I'm having trouble understanding; if its so important to listen to surrounding traffic then why don't the majority of motorised vehicle drivers do so?

Among other reasons, because the immediacy and scale of the hazards indicated by the changes in engine note of other vehicles in the vicinity is less significant for a driver than for a cyclist. (Which is not to say they don't exist. My recollection of driving in an open-topped car is that I was more immediately aware of hazards than when enclosed, and awareness of changes, often subtle changes in sound was a large part of this).
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

ChrisButch wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
Well I must admit I'm having trouble understanding; if its so important to listen to surrounding traffic then why don't the majority of motorised vehicle drivers do so?

Because the majority of motorists do not risk being crushed by inattentive cyclists ...but i think we have been here a thousand times before, lets just leave it ....
Last edited by landsurfer on 14 Oct 2018, 10:06am, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Cars don't have to be aware of other cars overtaking in the same lane, from behind. If you're not aware of a car behind you and they attempt to pass dangerously, you could pull out into their path.

Also cars are more visible at junctions, provide protection by being a large hunk of metal and 'should be on the road', as per the mentality towards cycling in this country.

I don't know why you'd want to cycle with music, if you must, use a little speaker and broadcast some light classical in an attempt to improve the mood/driving of those around you?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Maybe you are asking in the wrong place. Try a music forum where their interest will be sound not safety. You should plenty of expertise there from a wider experience bank.
Spoken by someone who believes that head phones and music on a bike are as dangerous as no lights after dark.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Not that I disagree with peoples' thoughts on headphones but, does that make cycling unsafe for deaf people?

Ian
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Possibly? Why would a person who isn't hobble themselves unnecessarily though.

I imagine deaf people adjust to being deaf, as they have no choice and their body compensates. They look around much more, perhaps always employ a mirror. If you have functioning hearing, the habit of relying on your ears, even when they are otherwise occupied, whilst cycling would likely be an almost impossible habit to break.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

To answer the 2yo OP query, get a pair of custom-moulded in-ear phones (the type recording artists use). They are a revelation, delivering sound to your ear canal, and because they have to be, for want of a better term, 'screwed' into the ear, they can't fall out. Supremely comfortable too.

Here's one of many suppliers:

https://snugs.com
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Freddie wrote:Possibly? Why would a person who isn't hobble themselves unnecessarily though.

I imagine deaf people adjust to being deaf, as they have no choice and their body compensates. They look around much more, perhaps always employ a mirror. If you have functioning hearing, the habit of relying on your ears, even when they are otherwise occupied, whilst cycling would likely be an almost impossible habit to break.

Maybe somebody wearing headphones can compensate in the same way.

I'm not arguing for or against headphones whilst cycling. I suppose I'd like some facts. Without wanting to divert this thread (which would then get it moderated/moved/locked), but part of my concern is that many seem to be providing advice because "It's obvious" just as to some wearing a feeble polystyrene hat is "obviously" crucial to your safety. I believe the French made it illegal to cycle wearing headphones but was this based on statistics and research or just because it was "obvious" (like polystyrene hats)?

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

In reply to Ian (edit: his last but one post) I would think that cycling is less safe for anyone with reduced hearing. Not all the time, but for example, if there was a shouted warning.

Touring in Korea at the moment which has loads of wonderful cycle paths. One thing that amuses me is that many cyclists have music playing on their bikes. Usually their smartphone in speaker mode.

Thinking about it, I don't recall seeing any cyclists using headphones, whereas on the subway where I was on today many people were using headphones. I wonder if headphones are illegal for cyclists here, which would be a sensible thing as far as I am concerned. I'll have try and find out.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Psamathe, perhaps they can, but I think the mind gets hardwired to do things a certain way. They can compensate 75% of the time, but then one time when they forget that they are without hearing and pull out...

Here's an example that comes to mind. Imagine yourself at a T-Junction on a country lane, with road curving away to the left and right. Plenty of cars will be doing 50-60mph on certain lanes, and you often hear them before you see them. Without headphones you can hear their approach, without headphones you cannot and potentially will ride out into their path.

I suppose the same applies to the deaf, but then the deaf have no choice but to take these risks, if they wish to continue cycling.

The polystyrene hat thing people survived pretty well without for many decades of cycling. I suppose it does reduce risk in very specific circumstances, but as usual it is a case of weighing up the risk. Wasn't there some study that said drivers would benefit from wearing helmets in the event of a crash. How many cyclists do you see wearing their helmet in their car? Obviously other concerns predominate whilst driving.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

In that scenario click the music off (just as I open the car window in that scenario). Simples, as they say.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

and remove the headphones too, because they alone block sound.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Freddie wrote:and remove the headphones too, because they alone block sound.

To a degree, but IME simply turning off is sufficient to hear conversation, so vehicles should be fine, but each individual would take their own view.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Freddie wrote:Psamathe, perhaps they can, but I think the mind gets hardwired to do things a certain way. They can compensate 75% of the time, but then one time when they forget that they are without hearing and pull out...

Here's an example that comes to mind. Imagine yourself at a T-Junction on a country lane, with road curving away to the left and right. Plenty of cars will be doing 50-60mph on certain lanes, and you often hear them before you see them. Without headphones you can hear their approach, without headphones you cannot and potentially will ride out into their path.

I suppose the same applies to the deaf, but then the deaf have no choice but to take these risks, if they wish to continue cycling.

The polystyrene hat thing people survived pretty well without for many decades of cycling. I suppose it does reduce risk in very specific circumstances, but as usual it is a case of weighing up the risk. Wasn't there some study that said drivers would benefit from wearing helmets in the event of a crash. How many cyclists do you see wearing their helmet in their car? Obviously other concerns predominate whilst driving.

I can see the logical processes people follow to arrive at their advice but I see it as a balance (just as I can see those same logical processes justifying polystyrene headgear).Once or twice (when cycling) it has happened I've glanced in my mirror (on a single track road) to be surprised to see a car following me that I had not heard. And then on other rides I start to dismiss motor sounds after hearing an engine (on a single track road) and acting only to find it eventually turns out to be a tractor in a field.

It might be that for the headphone wearing cyclist stopped at the junction you describe would briefly pause the music to listen. With my own headphones (that I don't use cycling) I just tap one quickly and the music pauses, tap it again and music resumes.

Bonefishblues wrote:
Freddie wrote:and remove the headphones too, because they alone block sound.

To a degree, but IME simply turning off is sufficient to hear conversation, so vehicles should be fine, but each individual would take their own view.
With my headphones and no music I can easily hear the world around me as, after using them for a phone call recently, I actually left them without realising and watched TV for a good 30 mins before realising they were will being worn.

Hence my wondering about any real data or research. Logic can suggest it increases risk but is that by 0.000000001% or by 5%. In many aspects of life we balance risk against enjoyment and for some, having music whilst cycling along could significantly add to enjoyment.

I don't wear headphones cycling so I'm not being defensive, but I'm interested in real risks vs perceived risks and that we don't just add requirements because it's considered "obvious" (as doing that justifies helmet compulsion).

Ian