Best time for travel UK

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hamster

Re: Best time for travel UK

Postby hamster » 14 Jul 2016, 9:40am

If you are planning to go to Scotland I'd reckon May, June and September are best. Often the weather is a bit more stable, but above all you don;t get the midges...like sandflies but smaller and more numerous.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 14 Jul 2016, 9:54am

eileithyia wrote:Another inspiration might be British Cycle Quest.
http://www.cyclinguk.org/british-cycle-quest

I use it when holidaying / cycling in a new part of the country and use it to develop routes between points...... it means, even in places where i have previously cycled, my eyes are opened to monuments, and features that i have previously just cycled past. And i get to see some pretty villages and countryside while out and about.

I had the impression it had somewhat "died" as CUK lost interest (not updated for a year and a half).

Ian

Therealsouthstander

Postby Therealsouthstander » 14 Jul 2016, 1:04pm

If you have 8 weeks to spend in the UK you'd be crazy to miss out on North West Scotland..

Magical and I mean magical cycling..

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 14 Jul 2016, 1:28pm

Kiwisue wrote:Thank for your many replies. I spent 2003 teaching in Clacton-on=Sea in Essex and during this time I road raced with a team and so spent many hours riding the wonderful country lanes. I have friends in Colchester where I will start my adventure or use the train service to get to another starting point.

A fall during a TT in 2003 near Laverham meant I was unable to compete at the UCI veterans road champs in Austria that year so I came back the next year and spent 8 weeks in Wolverton training and racing. I loved training on the quiet back roads but didn't spend much time sight seeing.

I want to see museums and a few stately homes art galleries and historical places but most of all to enjoy your wonderful countryside with the many little villages along the way. And meant with people to have a yarn (talk) with. I loved Yorkshire because they are so much like Southlanders (where I come from-down the bottom of NZ) and everyone else I met no matter where in the UK.

This time I want to take my time and really enjoy riding . I will be bringing my tramping and running gear as well so any further suggestions appreciated. What I don't see next year I will come back the following year to see.

I want to go to Passechendaele battle field graves in Belguim where my grand uncle was killed on that terrible day for New Zealand on October 12 1917 but will probably hire car for that.

Colchester is a great place to start a tour. I would recommend heading up to Norwich, then the 'The Broads' and the Norfolk coast. The Broads are a great place to see coastal wildlife. There are a few interesting sites in Norwich, and you can stop at places like Castle Acre, which has both romantic ruins and nice tea rooms. what more can you ask from the English countryside? :) From King's Lynn, you can either head up through the Lincolnshire Wolds, and the North York Moors, or you can go inland and go up through the Peak District, instead. With the amount of time you've got, you could go up the coast, and come back down through the Peak District. I guess it depends on how far you will go, and where. The Peak District is one of my favourite parts of England, so I do recomend seeing it, but you could just as easily stop there on a return train trip as ride through on tour.

Alternatively, you can ride to Harwich, put your bike on a ferry, and ride from the Hook of Holland to Passechendaele on the other side (200ish km). Passechendaele is closer to Calais, but the ferries there go from Dover. Harwich is quite close to Colchester.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 14 Jul 2016, 4:35pm

Psamathe wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Another inspiration might be British Cycle Quest.
http://www.cyclinguk.org/british-cycle-quest

I use it when holidaying / cycling in a new part of the country and use it to develop routes between points...... it means, even in places where i have previously cycled, my eyes are opened to monuments, and features that i have previously just cycled past. And i get to see some pretty villages and countryside while out and about.

I had the impression it had somewhat "died" as CUK lost interest (not updated for a year and a half).

Ian

well a friend recently received his 200 / silver certificate. It was less a case of actually do it but look at the destinations and use it as a base to build some routes from.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Winders

Postby Winders » 14 Jul 2016, 6:01pm

If you're interested in looking about historic places, Heritage New Zealand membership should give you free access to National Trust, National Trust for Scotland and English Heritage properties in the UK. If you're thinking of visiting 3 or more bigger sites you'll probably start saving money on the entry fees that way.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

keyboardmonkey

Postby keyboardmonkey » 15 Jul 2016, 9:04am

Whichever time you choose to go, a ride through the quiet lanes of the Lincolnshire Wolds - seeking out the lumpy bits if you want to - could be followed by going over the longest single span suspension bridge in the world that can be cycled over: the Humber Bridge.

From there you might cycle along the many equally quiet lanes of the splendid Yorkshire Wolds. Plenty of stately homes, minsters & churches, lovely pubs, cyclist-friendly cafés, B&Bs should you need a change from 'warm showers', wildlife and hills if you want them.

Then there are so many ways you could, for instance, make your way to the North York Moors via the Vale of Pickering and then on towards the Yorkshire Dales via the Vale of York, and so on.

I did something similar a few years ago. I'm so envious that you have eight weeks to enjoy it all :smile:

Kiwisue

Postby Kiwisue » 15 Jul 2016, 9:15am

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I am going to use them to plan my journey. I shall post some plans and hopefully you will be able to advise me again. I am also a keen oriente

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-N920I using hovercraft full of eels.

Kiwisue

Postby Kiwisue » 15 Jul 2016, 9:15am

keen on orienteering and geocaching

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-N920I using hovercraft full of eels.

deliquium

Postby deliquium » 15 Jul 2016, 9:47am

North Wales, particularly Snowdonia - sea, castles, lakes and lots of mountains. It's so gorgeous I never leave :D

A great place to stay would be Llyn Gwnynant Campsite - an idyllic setting and superb atmosphere, that permits log fires and has minimal motorised 'caravanners'. Owned by a couple of interesting New Zealanders (around your age who are usually there in the summer) and run by their family and friendly happy young wardens. They have an extensive and informative website - http://gwynant.com/
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"

pwa

Postby pwa » 15 Jul 2016, 12:35pm

The Cicerone book"Cycling in the Yorkshire Dales" by Harry Dowdell (2014) is well worth getting. it is one of Cicerone's pocket books, with excellent maps, route profiles and inspiring photos. Lots of great routes.

I especially like the (mainly) gentle climb up Arkengarthdale from Reeth to the Tan Hill Inn, though I would avoid it in bad weather.
Last edited by pwa on 16 Jul 2016, 12:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 15 Jul 2016, 9:12pm

In 8 weeks you've got time to do a lot. Starting from Colchester, I'd go up the coast and around the Norfolk coast (or a little inland as the coast road can be busy), Up through Lincs and over the Humber Bridge, then up through Yorkshire, then the Coast and Castles route from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Across the Cairngorms to Inverness, then the North Coast 500, down Loch Ness, do a bit of island hopping from Oban onto the Inner Hebrides, ending up at Ardrossan, then down to Gretna Green and the west coast of England (or via the Yorkshire Dales and Peak District) to Chester, over to Holyhead, then do Lon Las Cymru to end up at Cardiff or Chepstow. It you have time you could head down through Devon and Cornwall to Lands End. Otherwise, head back across country from Wales to Essex, taking in the Chilterns.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 15 Jul 2016, 10:48pm

If I was to give any opinion of best time to travel these are my rules.
May June avoid the East it's usually colder than the West
July August avoid the West it's usually wetter than the East.
September is just usually wonderful anywhere.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 15 Jul 2016, 11:25pm

Or... just go to the Met office site I linked above for all the weather data you want. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom