York-Harrogate cyclepath

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Milfred Cubicle

York-Harrogate cyclepath

Postby Milfred Cubicle » 17 Jul 2016, 6:01pm

Hi,
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a scenic route between Harrogate and York? I'm ideally looking for a traffic free/quiet route for a mini tour with kids. Looking at the Sustrans maps, a combination of routes 66+67 might work. Has anyone ridden these recently, and are they as real on the ground as they are on the map, if you get my meaning? Thanks.

MockCyclist

Re: York-Harrogate cyclepath

Postby MockCyclist » 17 Jul 2016, 10:03pm

Not sure which way you're travelling. The rail trail from Spofforth was perfectly good when I was last that way in 2014, the only issue is that if you want to continue through Wetherby west to east it's really easy to miss the route where it passes under the A1M, Freeman's Way where it goes is an anonymous estate road and I seem to remember there's no signage. So make sure you have that noted or you could miss it.

If you get off the rail trail (#66) near Walton you can do Wighill > Healaugh > Askham Bryan then cross into Acomb (dull) and York. It's an ok route, not much traffic and not especially scenic.

There's a cycle path alongside the A64 from Tadcaster, again a bit dull but slightly compensated by #65 past the racecourse and along the Ouse into the city centre which is more interesting.

Finally the northerly option: Find your way to Bilton Lane, Harrogate. #67 gets you there but I haven't been that way. Go east, take the track labelled Beryl Burton Cycleway, join the A59 and cross to the N side of the Nidd and go along Waterside and Abbey Road through Knaresborough. Really pretty. Then B6164 to Little Ribston > Cowthorpe > Tockwith > Long Marston > Askham Richard and pick up the #65.

pwa

Postby pwa » 18 Jul 2016, 12:27pm

Look up the Way of the Roses route between Ripon and York, the latter part of which may be of use. It follows the Ouse down into York and, from memory, is fairly quiet.

cycloret

Postby cycloret » 18 Jul 2016, 11:39pm

From Starbeck in Harrogate you can access the railpath/Beryl Burton Way to Knaresborough then cycle down by the river Nidd and under the iconic railway bridge. Go right on B6163 to cross bridge over the Nidd and up the hill, walk if necessary. Continue on to meet busy A658, dismount and walk across the road. There is a gap in the hedge to gain access to a traffic free road which ends at a gate by the A661. Turn Left and walk 100 metres then across for road to Follifoot then Spofforth. The A661 in Spofforth can be busy but it's not far even on the pavement to get to the Harland Way cyclepath for Wetherby.

Follow Road the other side of Morrisons Petrol Station to pick up the Harland Way again to Thorp Arch Trading Estate then on to Wighill > Healaugh > Askham Bryan. There's a busy roundabout to cross near Copmanthorpe but you can cross the A1237 on foot to access the cyclepath by the side of the A64. It's then virtually traffic free into York Centre.

Part of this route I used on a recent Morecambe to Filey holiday.
https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/359419 ... frish2016/