Touring - general advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
louisa_fitzgerald

Touring - general advice

Post by louisa_fitzgerald »

I am currently a novice cycler - really know nothing about it.

I am doing a sponsored cycle ride from penzance to dover in a few months and basically need all the advice I can get!

What sort of bike do I need? Should I buy or hire it and where from? What equipment? Does anyone know of a route that has already been done?

Thanks!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

louisa

The very first thing to do is some cycling. Any reasonable bike will do, (beg or borrow one) but get some miles in your legs. According to my road atlas, it is 357 miles from Penzance to Dover (and that will probably include some motorway and plenty of A class roads.)

So, your trip could easily be 400/ 450 miles and only you know how you are going to need to break that down into daily mileages.

For every adult newcomer to cycling, there is a horrible, painful experience on the first couple of rides. Many lovely new bikes end up slung in the back of the garage after the first try out. Do not let this discourage you. Persist through that initial pain barrier and your abilities will quickly improve dramatically and your pleasure from cycling will be immense. But be under no illusions, before undertaking a trip of this kind you do need some miles in your legs. The ride itself will improve your capabilies tremendously, but you cannot just jump in the deep end on day one.

When you have reached the stage where have just that bit more experience, the answers to some of the questions you have posed will be obvious to you. Then may be the time to ask more detailed questions, when people will be able to match their advice to your (by then) known ability.

Good luck with your commendable efforts to raise £££ for a worthy cause.
dodger

Post by dodger »

Suggest you seek alternatives to following the A30 (main spine road in Cornwall) and A38. They are always busy and motorists travel fast and are not very considerate. However, minor roads are usually fine and motorists friendly.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Just to add whats already been said,start by cycling say five miles on a quiet route locally, when you've got used to it start to increase your mileage but not to much too soon.
You may find a Hybrid bike will suit you best initially but don't buy a really cheap and nasty one be prepared to spend about £300 or more.

PS, learn how to mend a puncture coz sooner or later you'll get one.